Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who was Lee Shelley?

Lori Ann

I have a black & white photo from my grandmother (died before I was born) of Lee Shelley.  He's sitting in a chair with his hands folded.  The photo is signed.  Her collection of pictures are all actors or musicians.  Was Lee Shelley an actor?  Musician?  Unfortunately, I'm having a problem uploading the picture.  I'm told "1 file would exceed the total allowed size of 2.408kB, and was skipped".  If I shrink it down, you won't be able to see anything; the picture would be too tiny.  Does anyone recognize the name?

Lori

29 minutes ago, Lori Ann said:

I have a black & white photo from my grandmother (died before I was born) of Lee Shelley.  He's sitting in a chair with his hands folded.  The photo is signed.  Her collection of pictures are all actors or musicians.  Was Lee Shelley an actor?  Musician?  Unfortunately, I'm having a problem uploading the picture.  I'm told "1 file would exceed the total allowed size of 2.408kB, and was skipped".  If I shrink it down, you won't be able to see anything; the picture would be too tiny.  Does anyone recognize the name?

Lori

Charles Lee Shelley (born May 17, 1956) is an American fencer.[1] He competed in the épée events at the 1984 and 1988 Summer Olympics.[2]

To upload large photos, you can post them on a hosting site.  One I use is really easy and the photos last a long time.  It's called imgbb.  Here's the link:

https://imgbb.com/upload

You post the photo on the site.  Then you click on the photo and then copy the image address.  When you post here, at the lower right corner is a link called "Other Media" , click on that, then click on "Insert image from URL", and finally paste the address of your photo in the box that shows up.  It will appear in your post.

This sounds complicated, but it's really as tedious as it seems.

1 hour ago, Lori Ann said:

Lori

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Charles Lee Shelley (born May 17, 1956) is an American fencer.[1] He competed in the épée events at the 1984 and 1988 Summer Olympics.[2]

Given that it's her grandmother's collection, and given the interest in actors or musicians, I don't think this is the Shelley she's looking for.

Instead, I think it's probably band leader Lee Shelley.

https://k-townconsignments.com/products/lee-shelley-band-vintage-1930s-autograph-signed-rko-music-stationery-letter-head

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1990-05-11-9002080208-story.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Given that it's her grandmother's collection, and given the interest in actors or musicians, I don't think this is the Shelley she's looking for.

Instead, I think it's probably band leader Lee Shelley.

https://k-townconsignments.com/products/lee-shelley-band-vintage-1930s-autograph-signed-rko-music-stationery-letter-head

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1990-05-11-9002080208-story.html

I think this is him! Thank you!!  I tried Google, imdb, & Wikipedia.  Even asked on Twitter twice with no reply.  The signatures match from that top link.  Thank you!  Did he do music for movies?  I couldn't find him in imdb.

Lori

13 hours ago, slaytonf said:

To upload large photos, you can post them on a hosting site.  One I use is really easy and the photos last a long time.  It's called imgbb.  Here's the link:

https://imgbb.com/upload

You post the photo on the site.  Then you click on the photo and then copy the image address.  When you post here, at the lower right corner is a link called "Other Media" , click on that, then click on "Insert image from URL", and finally paste the address of your photo in the box that shows up.  It will appear in your post.

This sounds complicated, but it's really as tedious as it seems.

It didn't really work, but I have a link to the picture now.  Thank you!

https://ibb.co/SX5gbRk

Lori

I think it didn't work because there is a restriction on that image.  If you paste the link in the box for the URL it turns pink indicating that.  So what I did is take a screenshot of your imgbb upload and repost it to imgbb, and here it is:

Untitled.png

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I think it didn't work because there is a restriction on that image.  If you paste the link in the box for the URL it turns pink indicating that.  So what I did is take a screenshot of your imgbb upload and repost it to imgbb, and here it is:

Untitled.png

Thank you!

Lori

2 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

I think this is him! Thank you!!  I tried Google, imdb, & Wikipedia.  Even asked on Twitter twice with no reply.  The signatures match from that top link.  Thank you!  Did he do music for movies?  I couldn't find him in imdb.

Lori

I don't think so.  According to the Chicago Tribune story, he retired from the music business in the 1940s and went into "business", whatever that might be.  Apparently after he retired from this second career he went back to music, as he was playing in small nightclubs in Chicago in 1990 (reason for the Tribune story).  He was a violinist.   He's listed as the owner of several valuable violins on tarisio.com (website for fine/rare instruments), including a Strad.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

Lori

Take a picture of the picture with your phone and upload that. 

Edit: Nevermind. I see you posted a link.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings