Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Toys in the Attic pan and scan?

Firkle54

MGM produced a DVD for Toys in the Attic in letterboxed widescreen format in 2010, which matches the format of the clips on TCM's web site.

However, TCM has been showing the 'full screen' version for a while now.

Unfortunately the videos that TCM uses for broadcast are not always the best that can be expected.

14 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

MGM produced a DVD for Toys in the Attic in letterboxed widescreen format in 2010, which matches the format of the clips on TCM's web site.

However, TCM has been showing the 'full screen' version for a while now.

Unfortunately the videos that TCM uses for broadcast are not always the best that can be expected.

Same with 1957's A Hatful of Rain.  Even though FXM has shown it in letterbox, TCM insists on showing it in an inferior pan & scan.  Maybe Fox will only rent this version to TCM?

• Like 2

Thanks for the explanations! I'm not even particularly interested in this movie, I was just casually watching the credits and noticed they were obviously pillarpoxed and was curious as to why they would do this :)

Here's some delightfully useless trivia . . . but I like to share it anyway!  :D

TOYS IN THE ATTIC (1963) was released by 'WOOD KNAPP Video' in the late 1980s.  

How many of you remember that lil' label?   WOOD KNAPP started out issuing VHS releases in the proper 'Standard Play' (SP) mode . . . but that didn't last too long, regrettably.  The company then began issuing their VHS tapes in the inferior 'EP' mode and would usually put small square stickers on their video boxes indicating this.  I've got some WOOD KNAPPs, but I have tried to avoid the 'EP' mode-issue tapes.  Still got stuck with a couple of 'EP'-mode videocassettes before I knew better! 

It seems TOYS IN THE ATTIC was released by WOOD KNAPP in both modes with the 'EP' mode being much more prevalent.  Pity!  

Alreet then. 

• Thanks 1

4 for Texas (1963) with Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra is another example of a film that TCM broadcast in full screen format for years, but last December was shown in a nice widescreen version, so there is hope that some of these will eventually be upgraded.

(BTW, 4 for Texas is currently scheduled again on June 18 at 3:45 pm ET, but as we have observed consistency is not guaranteed.)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings