Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Discussion following the film: Yellowface: Asian Whitewashing and Racism in Hollywood

This is an observation I noted at the end of this movie.  Your guest was Shirley Lim, a very well spoken person.

I was really shocked when she said following the bombing of Pearl Harbor, they were concentration camps (or 

internment camps) set up in California and other mainland states.  The fear of Japanese/Americans.  What surprised me

was she said there were none in Hawaii.   Sorry, you are totally wrong.  I have lived here for 36 years and I can assure you

there were interment camps in Hawaii following the Pearl Harbor attack.  I just want to bring this to light, many people here

would be offended by this.  Link:  https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/03/16/393284680/in-hawaii-a-wwii-internment-camp-named-national-monument#:~:text=The Honouliuli internment camp%2C not,the location a national monument.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The doc was very similar to the one about blackface, except this one highlighted the asian injustices. Shameful Hollywood history, and shameful American history. Just one more example how easy it is to manipulate the masses by giving them something to panic about. That's why so many of us prefer dogs over people. Ugh.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings