Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Resolved: Bullitt is THE Movie for Mothers' Day

brianNH

I have had the delightfully good fortune to be married to someone who counts among her favorite films the 1968 Steve McQueen movie Bullitt.  She really likes it a lot.  One day, some time ago, while we were watching the movie, I said that this is a perfect movie for Mothers' Day.   "What?!" she screamed (she usually doesn't pay any attention to the free audio commentary I offer alongside some movies).  And I do know full well that "Bullitt" will never supplant "I Remember Mama" from the tip-top spot of Mothers' Day films at our house, yet I managed to get that whirlwind puzzle of a mob hit at least an Honorable mention.

As my wife befuddledly shrieked, I said, "Give it a couple of seconds."  Then in the movie, here comes along Jackie Bissett taxi-ing Steve McQueen in her yellow Porsche to the Thunderbird Hotel in Milbrae.  He is arriving to question Dorothy Simmons about the murder case.  "Look at the hotel billboard/marquee."  My wife was quick enough to spot the following message outside the hotel that day:

Mothers' Day Brunch

May 11th

11 AM.   5 PM

Make Reservations Now

Now, we get offered a whole slate of films that range from sweet and sentimental, to overly cloying, and even to some very fine shows.  I suggest the "Bullitt" is one of those movies that may be attached to a specific holiday simply by virtue of its action taking place around the time of that holiday.  (I think that's why people like to suppose "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie.).   At least each Mothers' Day we watch it and wink at ourselves as if to say, "Aw, why the heck not?!"  And it makes her happy.

So, anyone else out there with a must-see film for a certain day or time of year that would require a few minutes of explanation to the rest of us who are not in on the game?

Oh, before I forget; does anyone know if the motel that's still there will have a Mother's Day brunch this Sunday?  Maybe I can still make a reservation.

• Like 8

• brianNH changed the title to Resolved: Bullitt is THE Movie for Mothers' Day

Gotta say here, Brian. Your recognizing this whole Mother's Day connection to the film Bullitt was very perceptive of you.

You see, and in addition to that hotel sign, the following line said by McQueen to Robert Vaughn was actually filmed but was later, as they say, left on the cutting room floor:

"Look Chalmers! I really don't care what you're doing with your mother this Mother's Day, but because of how I feel about you, I already have a good idea of what that might be, if you catch my drift here!"

bullitt-1968-09-g.jpg

(...but which of course was ultimately replaced with the line we now all know: "Look Chalmers! You work your side of the street and I'll work mine.")

;)

• Like 4

Thanks a ton, Dargo!  I've often come across references to the dialogue in the scene you mention; but I never saw any evidence for it first hand.  Great job of sleuthing.  

I do like the working the sides of the street line, though.  Maybe I'm not as sentimental as I think I am sometimes?

Brian

• Like 1

Brian, the Thunderbird is probably not serving Mothers Day Brunch, sadly.   There's been a couple of major makeovers, first from Clarion and now it's part of the Aloft chain and no longer recognizable as the "iconic" Thunderbird.

bullit.jpg.3be30d2afed48d061dbc947cef9702ef.jpg   bullit2.jpg.9a0fd56c70613194f51778c10386193e.jpg

Then                                                                                                                                     Now

But it's an inspired choice as a film for Mother's Day!  Your wife sounds like a lot of fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is so awesome to me. 😎

I always thought it would be kinda cool to show movies Mother’s day movies with the worst mothers in cinema so we can get a perspective of how bad it could be. Movies like I REMEMBER MAMA or LITTLE WOMEN could make a mom feel inadequate in comparison. But WHITE HEAT and NOTORIOUS can make a mom realize she’s done a great job! So just imagine a lineup of the worst moms in cinema — THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, NOW, VOYAGER, etc — then imagine Dave Karger saying in the outro, “NOW do you appreciate YOUR mom?”

• Like 4

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings