Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ralph Richardson

Arteesto

I was smitten by Ralph Richardson after seeing him in "The Heiress".   The other day "Q Planes" was on and I watched it when I noticed that Ralph Richardson was in it. He

was superb as Major Hammond and I barely noticed that Laurence Olivier  was in the movie.  English movies are my favorite for many reasons and Ralph Richardson

is a gem.  Also, I "discovered" an actress named Valerie Hobson.  Just when you think you've seen it all; nope, you have not.

• Like 5

If you haven't seen it, definitely check out director Carol Reed's The Fallen Idol (1948). Ralph Richardson plays the butler to the family of a British diplomat, whose young son sees Richardson as a stand-in for his father, who's often away. The boy misunderstands something he witnesses (but only partly witnesses) and believes the butler to be guilty of a crime, which causes him to lie to  protect the butler, which helps to convince the police that Richardson is guilty. (He's not.) Both Richardson and the kid give really strong performances. If you haven't seen it, I think you'll be smitten all over again.

I recently rewatched Woman of Straw (1964), with Richardson, Sean Connery and Gina Lollobrigida, in which he's a bitter man who's unforgivably nasty just because he can be. A different side to him as an actor, but equally compelling to watch.

• Like 4

I only knew Ralph Richardson from his 80's comeback, in Dragonslayer (1981), Time Bandits (1981), Greystoke: the Legend of Tarzan (1984), and his replacing Charles Laughton in a TV-movie remake of "Witness For the Prosecution":

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arteesto said:

Also, I "discovered" an actress named Valerie Hobson.  Just when you think you've seen it all; nope, you have not.

I've stated on here before that in the "real world", I'm infinitely more knowledgeable about classic movies than everyone I meet, but in this online community, I know nothing. I learn something new virtually every time I watch TCM or read something on here.

• Like 2

I've seen Ralph Richardson on stage in London several times: in No Man's Land; The Fruits of Enlightenment; and The Double Dealer.  I once saw him arrive at the theatre on his motorcycle!

Valerie Hobson was a lovely actress, in many films. She was the wife of John Profumo, and if you don't know anything about that, look it up! There was a musical about the Profumo affair a few years ago. The Valerie Hobson character, played by Joanna Riding, has a good song:

• Like 3

Ralph Richardson is often mentioned alongside Laurence Olivier and John Gielgud. Of the three, I always preferred Richardson to the other two (at least on film.) He had such a musical voice, and I think he had a more down to Earth personality that made him better suited to film.

On 5/8/2022 at 7:58 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

One of Richardson's greatest performances is in the 1962 LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT, with Katherine Hepburn, Jason Robards, Jr. and Dean Stockwell.   Sidney Lumet directed. 

Richardson, Robards & Stockwell shared Best Actor honors at the 1962 Cannes Film Festival, while Hepburn won Best Actress. 

On 5/8/2022 at 8:59 AM, Arteesto said:

I was smitten by Ralph Richardson after seeing him in "The Heiress".   The other day "Q Planes" was on and I watched it when I noticed that Ralph Richardson was in it. He

was superb as Major Hammond and I barely noticed that Laurence Olivier  was in the movie.  English movies are my favorite for many reasons and Ralph Richardson

is a gem.  Also, I "discovered" an actress named Valerie Hobson.  Just when you think you've seen it all; nope, you have not.

I think Katherine should have been more forgiving torwards her father. he was right about that slime Townsend after all. I think her unforgiveness torwards him hurts her character but that ending is terrific thanks to Monty's incredible acting.

The Heiress Blu-ray - Olivia de Havilland

"Goodnight Maurice...now stop that knocking."

The Heiress - FamousFix.com

On 5/9/2022 at 6:58 PM, sagebrush said:

Ralph Richardson is often mentioned alongside Laurence Olivier and John Gielgud. Of the three, I always preferred Richardson to the other two (at least on film.) He had such a musical voice, and I think he had a more down to Earth personality that made him better suited to film.

Unlike Laurence Olivier, Richardson had a wicked sense of humor (so did Gielgud, and Olivier may be the only Great English Actor who doesn't), and is credited with the old story of stopping the play to ask "Is there a doctor in the house?"
When one stood up, Richardson asked him "It's not a very good play, is it, doc?"

(No, Bugs Bunny didn't do it first.  😅)

13thumb.jpg

• Haha 2

On 5/10/2022 at 6:50 PM, NipkowDisc said:

I think Katherine should have been more forgiving torwards her father. he was right about that slime Townsend after all.

Yup!

I had thought at one time and maybe still do that she didn't care that Townsend was slime. She was too desperate for a beau. So she still resents her father for ruining that. After she had been brainwashed by that horrible Aunt or whatever she was, God I hated her (played by Miriam Hopkins).

On 5/8/2022 at 6:20 PM, Swithin said:

I've seen Ralph Richardson on stage in London several times: in No Man's Land; The Fruits of Enlightenment; and The Double Dealer.  I once saw him arrive at the theatre on his motorcycle!

So Swithin. Was he on his Norton...

actor-sir-ralph-richardson-riding-his-ne

...or on his BMW...

tumblr_n8gbnsIyWv1t899j5o1_500.png

???

(...ya know I had to ask here, didn't ya)  ;)

And btw, here's Sir Ralph being interviewed by Dick Cavett in regard to this very thing...

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 9:04 AM, Dargo said:

So Swithin. Was he on his Norton...

actor-sir-ralph-richardson-riding-his-ne

...or on his BMW...

tumblr_n8gbnsIyWv1t899j5o1_500.png

???

(...ya know I had to ask here, didn't ya)  ;)

And btw, here's Sir Ralph being interviewed by Dick Cavett in regard to this very thing...

Dargo, if I correctly recall, it was fifty years ago this period that I was opening packs of Donruss' CHOPPERS & HOT BIKES series of bubble gum cards...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I wonder if the influence of the release of ON ANY SUNDAY from the previous summer extended to the Donruss sets of '72. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoShear said:

Dargo, if I correctly recall, it was fifty years ago this period that I was opening packs of Donruss' CHOPPERS & HOT BIKES series of bubble gum cards...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I wonder if the influence of the release of ON ANY SUNDAY from the previous summer extended to the Donruss sets of '72. 

The guy sitting on the BMW R75/5 (also known as the "Toaster Tank" models) up there almost looks like it could be William Devane, doesn't it NS?!

(...and which btw, is the same model of BMW that Sir Ralph is shown astride up there earlier)

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 3:33 AM, laffite said:

Yup!

I had thought at one time and maybe still do that she didn't care that Townsend was slime. She was too desperate for a beau. So she still resents her father for ruining that. After she had been brainwashed by that horrible Aunt or whatever she was, God I hated her (played by Miriam Hopkins).

Catherine had every right to reject her father and no longer have any contact with him since he didn't love her.    Instead he resented her because she wasn't like his deceased wife (her mother).    That is core to the entire relationship.       Thus while he was right that Townsend was just after her money,    the reason he knew this was that he felt the same way as Townsend towards his own daughter;   what man could ever be in love with such a woman.

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "The guy sitting on the BMW R75/5 (also known as the "Toaster Tank" models) up there almost looks like it could be William Devane, doesn't it NS?!"

First, Dargo, I'm glad I didn't bother posting the reverse of these cards: You could have written their texts!

I can see the resemblance, Dargo, and the virile moustache look reminded me of Tom Selleck's ascension in the entertainment business by striking similar poses th?id=OIP.OehdzE7hQa7XtFacnSxEJgHaKa&pid=Api&P=0&w=110&h=155 for the tobacco industry.

Speaking of William Devane, Dargo, the first thing I can recall with him was the made-for-TV movie the MISSILES of OCTOBER (1974) hqdefault.jpg which, given the recent saber rattling of Putin, probably wouldn't be too dated for another go-around. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Catherine had every right to reject her father and no longer have any contact with him since he didn't love her.    Instead he resented her because she wasn't like his deceased wife (her mother).    That is core to the entire relationship.       Thus while he was right that Townsend was just after her money,    the reason he knew this was that he felt the same way as Townsend towards his own daughter;   what man could ever be in love with such a woman.

And while and even though they dress down Olivia for this film, in my view she still doesn't come close to being as plain looking and unattractive a woman as what it's implied she's supposed to be...

olivia-dehavilland-1950.jpg

(...and besides this fact and in my view, the bigger sin that her father committed towards her was not his inability to love her, but was more the idea that he failed to ever instill in her any self-worth and self-confidence, and regardless how "plain" she might have been or was supposed to be)

• Like 1

The first movie I can think of with WILLIAM DEVANE was "The 300-Year Weekend" (1971).  Not a particularly well-known movie. 

Speaking of 1970s TVM's . . . Devane starred with Michael Brandon in the 1977 nuclear-themed tele-movie RED ALERT! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NoShear said:

First, Dargo, I'm glad I didn't bother posting the reverse of these cards: You could have written their texts!

I can see the resemblance, Dargo, and the virile moustache look reminded me of Tom Selleck's ascension in the entertainment business by striking similar poses th?id=OIP.OehdzE7hQa7XtFacnSxEJgHaKa&pid=Api&P=0&w=110&h=155 for the tobacco industry.

Speaking of William Devane, Dargo, the first thing I can recall with him was the made-for-TV movie the MISSILES of OCTOBER (1974) hqdefault.jpg which, given the recent saber rattling of Putin, probably wouldn't be too dated for another go-around. 

Speaking of dropping Tom Selleck in response to your William Devane post, Dargo, Devane later found a recurring role in Tom Selleck's universe:

th?id=OIP.VWmpK5-vCZPz3KyytEUsrgHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=287&h=161!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And while and even though they dress down Olivia for this film, in my view she still doesn't come close to being as plain looking and unattractive a woman as what it's implied she's supposed to be...

olivia-dehavilland-1950.jpg

(...and besides this fact and in my view, the bigger sin that her father committed towards her was not his inability to love her, but was more the idea that he failed to ever instill in her any self-worth and self-confidence, and regardless how "plain" she might have been or was supposed to be)

100% on target!    Instead of comparing Catherine to her mother, which just made her more insecure,   he should have played up the qualities she did have,  like kindness and gentleness.       Any married man that has a solid long term relationship with his wife knows that those type of qualities are of much more value than being a good looking gal at a party to showoff to one's male friends.

As for the aunt:  I believe many view her in a negative light but I don't.     She did try to build Catherine's self-confidence and self-worth and her heart was in the right place.   Annoying,   well YEA,   but that was a Hopkins specialty! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Gorman said:

The first movie I can think of with WILLIAM DEVANE was "The 300-Year Weekend" (1971).  Not a particularly well-known movie. 

Speaking of 1970s TVM's . . . Devane starred with Michael Brandon in the 1977 nuclear-themed tele-movie RED ALERT! 

Ever watch the 1983 TVM "Special Bulletin", Mr. G?

IMO, one of the best TV movies ever.

(...and even though Sir Ralph Richardson is nowhere in it)  ;)

• Like 2

I have heard of SPECIAL BULLETIN, Dargo, but I've not seen it as of yet.  (I hope to buy myself a tape of it one o'these years as I am wont to do -- I know what label put it out). 

Howzabout a 'George W. Bush' Nucular Moovie, eh?   As per his recent speech where he made a 'faux pas' and said 'Iraq' instead of 'Ukraine' . . . mebbe a movie titled  NUCULAR COWBOI  should be in production?  :D

• Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings