Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

freevee

SansFin

The powers that be have decided to rename: IMDbTV to: freevee.

I have lost track of how many names this streaming service has had since it began.

The only reason for my mentioning it is that it seems as if they have increased the number of movies which it offers during this reintroduction. Keyword searches which usually return four to six movies on: IMDbTV are now returning eight to ten movies on: freevee. A few titles which have not been offered in years have returned.

I know that such largess will not last for very long and so I recommend that all search for movies which they have had difficulty finding of recent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Also, FREEVEE is carrying the new Bosch series called BOSCH LEGACY. It picks up where the Prime series ended. I'm a fan and look forward to viewing the show. I hate that there will be commercials. We've been watching MIDSOMER MURDERS with ads on IMDbTV for a year or so and it's bearable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SansFin said:

I have lost track of how many names this streaming service has had since it began.

The only reason for my mentioning it is that it seems as if they have increased the number of movies which it offers during this reintroduction. Keyword searches which usually return four to six movies on: IMDbTV are now returning eight to ten movies on: freevee. A few titles which have not been offered in years have returned.

I know that such largess will not last for very long and so I recommend that all search for movies which they have had difficulty finding of recent.

I had noticed the name change, but had not looked into it any further.  Personally I like freevee better than IMDbTV as for as names go.   How many people remember what IMDb originally meant?

Just downloaded freevee, but I already had Amazon Prime free which has a line for IMDb TV.  Will have to see if there is any difference.

Not sure how it fits in, but there is also FilmRise, but that may be for specific shows.

• Like 1

I can't say I have ever found much to watch on any of these free services and the commercial:content ratio is awfully high. A film maker I know tweets about his love of Tubi for some reason, but again, the commercials ruin the experience for me when they interrupt an old film. With 200+ films on the TCM app available on-demand, I always find something good. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spauldingd said:

I can't say I have ever found much to watch on any of these free services and the commercial:content ratio is awfully high. A film maker I know tweets about his love of Tubi for some reason, but again, the commercials ruin the experience for me when they interrupt an old film. With 200+ films on the TCM app available on-demand, I always find something good. 

The commercial breaks are far less than what you have on commercial TV.  In fact, on some of the free services, there aren't any commercials.  Not sure why.

We watch Tubi, Freevee and YouTube more than we do anything else right now.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SansFin said:

Amazon is moving more and more of the content that used to be available commercial free on Prime Video to Freevee where they get additional ad dollars.

They raised the price for Amazon Prime yet again this year, and now there's less than ever available with the subscription via Prime Video. It's becoming less attractive to renew each year. 

Moving the formerly ad-free Bosch show to the Freevee platform so that I have to sit through commercials despite still subbing to Prime is annoying to put it mildly. And while they kept insisting that there were "limited commercial interruptions" with the first 4 episodes of the new show, there were still far more than I wanted to see, and obviously more than the zero ads I had to watch via Prime.

More and more of the streamers are implementing an "ad-supported" version of their platforms, and I can see a time where they will raise the prices of the ad-free versions so much that people will begin to use the ad versions more, and then they'll eliminate the ad-free versions.

And they wonder why young people pirate so much of this stuff...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, spauldingd said:

I am afraid that the cost of subscribing to any of the services necessary in order to have access to the TCM app is excessive for us. We are senior citizens with little income and massive housing costs. It is not cost effective also. We could purchase from one to four DVDs each month for the cost of such a subscription and have the movies we wish permanently rather than to have to continually pay for access.

I do not mind a reasonable number of commercials when watching a movie on a television. I am sure I would find them quite intolerable if watching a movie in a theatre. It is all a matter of convention and perception. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Amazon is moving more and more of the content that used to be available commercial free on Prime Video to Freevee where they get additional ad dollars.

They raised the price for Amazon Prime yet again this year, and now there's less than ever available with the subscription via Prime Video. It's becoming less attractive to renew each year. 

Moving the formerly ad-free Bosch show to the Freevee platform so that I have to sit through commercials despite still subbing to Prime is annoying to put it mildly. And while they kept insisting that there were "limited commercial interruptions" with the first 4 episodes of the new show, there were still far more than I wanted to see, and obviously more than the zero ads I had to watch via Prime.

More and more of the streamers are implementing an "ad-supported" version of their platforms, and I can see a time where they will raise the prices of the ad-free versions so much that people will begin to use the ad versions more, and then they'll eliminate the ad-free versions.

Like Amazon needs more money...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I am afraid that the cost of subscribing to any of the services necessary in order to have access to the TCM app is excessive for us. We are senior citizens with little income and massive housing costs. It is not cost effective also. We could purchase from one to four DVDs each month for the cost of such a subscription and have the movies we wish permanently rather than to have to continually pay for access.

I do not mind a reasonable number of commercials when watching a movie on a television. I am sure I would find them quite intolerable if watching a movie in a theatre. It is all a matter of convention and perception. 

Probably the most cost-effective option to get TCM is to subscribe to one of the basic Sling services ($35/month before taxes and fees) and add the Hollywood Extra package for an extra $6/month.  That includes TCM (and HDNet Movies, along with a few other channels).  I haven't found anything cheaper.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I think part of my issue with them is that I'm so out of practice tolerating them. Most of what I watch is streaming stuff or things on disc/tape, and no live TV. I DVR everything that I watch on traditional TV and FF through the ads, and even the amount of commercial television that I watch is at an all-time low. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I think part of my issue with them is that I'm so out of practice tolerating them. Most of what I watch is streaming stuff or things on disc/tape, and no live TV. I DVR everything that I watch on traditional TV and FF through the ads, and even the amount of commercial television that I watch is at an all-time low. 

Same here.  I watch only one scheduled program on the old broadcast networks, and I watch it on DVR so I can skip the ads.  A typical half hour now has about 20 minutes of content and the rest is filled with ads and promos.  Before the FCC deregulated TV in the 80s, there were limits on ads.  When TV first started in the 1940s, it was about 3 minutes (ad at the beginning, between the first and second act and a final one at the end), then starting in the 1970s or so, about 5 minutes per half hour.

The UK still regulates commercial time, and they limit it to 12 minutes per hour.

There's been a whole generation raised to watch TV without commercials.  The networks are going to have to adapt or go the way of the dinosaur.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It now seems to be owned by Amazon, which means the entire IMDbTV Freevee service is already available if you have Prime video.  

Another reason to convince IMDb it Wasn't Worth It, if not for the fact that they seem to have a good selection of vintage 70's-80's TV, and seems to be where Sony is leaning, now that even they've forgotten they once owned something called Crackle.

Although, yes, I watched a few programs, and the five minutes BETWEEN commercials was starting to get intolerable.  Even for someone who streams PlutoTV and YouTube.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

...old people too! I learned early on as a business owner, "give your employees what they want, or they will take it anyway"

8 hours ago, SansFin said:

We could purchase from one to four DVDs each month for the cost of such a subscription and have the movies we wish permanently rather than to have to continually pay for access.

Agreed.

Funny to see this thread, I've just started watching freevee, the only place to find old episodes of fave BBC show Horrible Histories:

The only subscription we keep is HBO which we regularly watch Bill Maher & occasional TCM movies. (I am very grateful TCM has uploaded the Festival highlights on YT) Otherwise, we see no need to subscribe & pay for ANY viewing.

I've never minded a few commercials, they usually offer a welcome break. (Anyone catch the super elaborate FB/META commercial? Actually looks pretty desperate) Thrillers, melodramas, where the mood would be broken by commercials; DVD still rules.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Probably the most cost-effective option to get TCM is to subscribe to one of the basic Sling services ($35/month before taxes and fees) and add the Hollywood Extra package for an extra $6/month.  That includes TCM (and HDNet Movies, along with a few other channels).  I haven't found anything cheaper.

I can buy 750ml bottle of excellent rum and two DVDs from bargain bin at Wal-Mart for the same money. It should not stretch the imagination to know which I will chose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

It now seems to be owned by Amazon, which means the entire IMDbTV Freevee service is already available if you have Prime video.  

Another reason to convince IMDb it Wasn't Worth It, if not for the fact that they seem to have a good selection of vintage 70's-80's TV, and seems to be where Sony is leaning, now that even they've forgotten they once owned something called Crackle.

Although, yes, I watched a few programs, and the five minutes BETWEEN commercials was starting to get intolerable.  Even for someone who streams PlutoTV and YouTube.

It is my understanding that it has been an Amazon property since the first inception. 

freevee is available through: Amazon Prime Video. It has a stand-alone app on: Roku also. The GUI in the app is more basic. The nice thing about it is that all hits from a search are free to view while there is no way to make that an option when searching: Amazon Prime Video.

• Like 1

i got imdb tv about a year ago so i could watch the first two seasons of MAUDE (and a year later, seasons 3-7 are STILL not available, which makes me wonder why? are they really bad? or is there a rights/contract issue?)

I noticed it changed to freevee and was all ready to delete it when i saw they had DEATH ON THE NILE (1978) which i watched, and DICK TRACY (1990) which I watched, and also PERRY MASON and some other decent stuff- so I'm keeping it.

there is so much saturation in the streaming market tho.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i got imdb tv about a year ago so i could watch the first two seasons of MAUDE (and still, seasons 3-7 are not available, which makes me wonder why? are they really bad? or is there a rights/contract issue?)

I noticed it changed to freevee and was all ready to delete it when i saw they had DEATH ON THE NILE (1978) which i watched, and DICK TRACY (1990) which I watched, and also PERRY MASON and some other decent stuff- so I'm keeping it.

You see this a lot with the various streaming services and old sitcoms/TV shows;  they all have the same set of seasons available.  I'm not sure why this is the case, as the linear broadcast channels have access to all the seasons of any show, typically.  For example, Antenna TV has shown all seasons of Maude within the last few years.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

You see this a lot with the various streaming services and old sitcoms/TV shows;  they all have the same set of seasons available.  I'm not sure why this is the case, as the linear broadcast channels have access to all the seasons of any show, typically.  For example, Antenna TV has shown all seasons of Maude within the last few years.

They're the same PARTIAL seasons on streaming, which is the case with Hulu, PlutoTV, and even some of those cheaper DVD boxsets at Wal-Mart.

Some series have part of the episodes that fell out of copyright, which is why you can find so many off-brand filed-off-serial-number streams of Bonanza and Beverly Hillbillies on the cheaper services, but broadcast syndication always got their reruns from the source.  (Back when local-stations showed something besides news, and broadcast TV actually showed reruns.)

As opposed to third-party streaming services, which have to dumpster-dive off-copyright pot luck like starving raccoons.

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i got imdb tv about a year ago so i could watch the first two seasons of MAUDE (and a year later, seasons 3-7 are STILL not available, which makes me wonder why? are they really bad? or is there a rights/contract issue?)

According to reelgood.com, for Maude, seasons 1 and 2 are available on Freevee, seasons 3 and 4 are on Tubi, and seasons 5 and 6 aren't streamable.

https://reelgood.com/show/maude-1972

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

An explanation which was sufficiently dumbed-down so that I could understand it is that each person who is listed as a producer is a part-owner and it is necessary to have their consent. Changes in production staff is a common reason for some seasons of a series being available and other seasons not. 

I note also that one person is credited for the music for the first two seasons of Maude and there is a different person after that.

I do not know if they were reintroduced into the available to attract viewers but it seems to me to have been a long time since I have seen: Banacek, Inspector Lewis and Warehouse 13 in the line-up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's great.  Just watched the movie Bernie with Jack Black and Shirley MacLaine.  Supposedly shown with ads, but didn't have a single one, and not due to my ad blocker, which doesn't work on most sites anyway, except for You Tube Movies.   Reasonable short ads don't bother me anyway. 

On 5/11/2022 at 8:00 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

ps- I have amazon prime and sometimes i watch something on imdb/freevee through amazon prime, but I RESENT THE HELL out of having to WATCH ADS when I watching something on PRIME.

DITTO!

I hate it when businesses want me to double-dip!

I'm an Amazombie (Prime member), a rueful admission on par with admitting membership in AA (I am . . . and I am an alcoholic.). But, I don't watch Amazon Prime as much as I used to, partly because of the annoying imposition of ads, but also because some movies that used to be free to watch are no longer free.

After being a Netflix subscriber for about four years, I finally cancelled my membership. The price hike was only a minor reason for 86-ing Netflix. Most of its offerings never interested or appealed to me.

One door closes and another opens:

A streaming service that I am enjoying is ScreenPix, a sister channel of Epix. Thank you, Bronxgirl48 (wherever you are), for promoting ScreenPix! I've been watching several British offerings thereon -- most recently Trouble in Store, starring Norman Wisdom, Billion Dollar Brain, and Hot Enough for June (AKA Agent 8¾).

I'm also a fan of Tubi, which has a lot of movies that interest and appeal to me. I'm currently enjoying the 1970s British series Thriller. Yeah, the ads are a drag. But sometimes, to my delight, the ad alert (portentously counting down the seconds before the dreaded commercial interruptions) is a false alarm -- no ads ensue!

My attitude about ads is akin to Count Dracula's 'tude toward garlic: utterly repugnant and repellent!

The worst offender (IMO), ad-wise, is Shout! Factory TV. Strictly for nudniks who like a little movie with their ads. Love Shout! Factory Blu-ray discs! Hate Shout! Factory TV!

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings