Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rome Adventure (1962), 8 PM, May 10.

ElCid

A light, but very entertaining, romantic movie from 1962.  For me the star is Suzanne Pleshette, but TCM Schedule lists Troy Donahue (ugh!), Angie Dickinson and Rossano Brazzi as the stars.

Has a lot of good Rome and Italian scenery.

• Like 4

• ElCid changed the title to Rome Adventure (1962), 8 PM, May 10.
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

A light, but very entertaining, romantic movie from 1962.  For me the star is Suzanne Pleshette, but TCM Schedule lists Troy Donahue (ugh!), Angie Dickinson and Rossano Brazzi as the stars.

Has a lot of good Rome and Italian scenery.

Agreed, Cid. And those tourist attractions in Rome don't have a single tourist around when Suzanne and Troy visit them! Good luck with that. Whatever the billing of the film was, Suzanne Pleshette is the actual star, and that's a good thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

The highlights for me are Emilio Pericoli singing "Al Di La" and then Al Hirt doing a jazz rendition of it during a nightclub brawl.

I was in high school when I first saw this as the second showing of the day.  A couple of girls in my class had seen first showing and didn't remember the name of the song so they asked me to remember it.  Oops - didn't remember it.  Link below is Al Di La.

My favorite line:  (SPOILER)  Suzanne Pleshete and Troy Donahue were having a conversation re:  where he was going to sleep.  She responded to his suggestion:  You could, you should and you will.

• Like 1

I love the candelabra they buy and then drag along on their round of clubbing, I guess to show what free spirits they are or something. I agree that it's Suzanne's movie, but she's absolutely right to be nervous about Angie Dickinson. Delmer Daves was on a roll at Warner's at the time and really brought the glossy melodrama. But the window for this kind of movie was closing quickly. A school librarian being censured for allowing students to read Lovers Must Learn? Wait 'til those students got a load of what the rest of the 1960's had in store for them!! Just out of curiosity I checked the source material and it's a 1932 novel, back when it was probably pretty hot stuff, but pretty flimsy by 1962. But none of that matters because on the scale of entertainment value it rates...Yummy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

And I defy anyone not to tap their hands and feet when Al Hirt starts blowing that horn!   It is a physical impossibility unless you're unfortunately wrapped up in bandages at the hospital, in which case I pray for a complete recovery.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Caught this from the mountaintop picnic scene tonight.  Oh, and the insights into human race memory that comes from cavemen was mind-blowing.  Absolutely mind-blowing.  

For me, I'm with "The Philadelphia Story's" Dinah Lord in saying that this whole film is filled with "innundo."   

By the way, why in Heaven's name does Suzanne Pleshette think she needs any lessons in attracting men?  (Yes, I know it's the whole point of the story, but when I was growing up I had such a crush on Emily from the Bob Newhart Show)

• Like 1

What I didn't remember was that apparently Prudence didn't book a hotel room in advance after making reservations for the ship.  You'd think a single woman on her first trip to Europe would be sure she had a place to stay!    (and neither did the dorky Etruscan scholar Albert, since they both landed up at a Contessa's charming villa, thanks to Rossano Brazzi)

Prudence falls hard for Don in the space of about three days.   Just like real life!  I love it!  But, with the Production Code still in effect, won't sleep with him because "I still have a conscience"; however, when confronted with what Prudence believes is Don's undying passion for sexpot Angie Dickinson, she decides to "compete" (thanks to advice from Constance) by trying to lose her virginity with Brazzi, so she can become a woman of the world.   This fails, of course, when, out of the blue, Rossano refuses!  Just like real life again!  LOL  What red-blooded Italian man would turn down Suzanne Pleshette?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Prudence falls hard for Don in the space of about three days.   Just like real life!  I love it!  But, with the Production Code still in effect, won't sleep with him because "I still have a conscience"; however, when confronted with what Prudence believes is Don's continued love for sexpot Angie Dickinson, she decides to "compete" (thanks to advice from Constance) by trying to lose her virginity with Brazzi, so she can become a woman of the world.   This fails, of course, when, out of the blue, Rossano refuses!  Just like real life again!  LOL  What red-blooded Italian man would turn down Suzanne Pleshette?

You're so right that the Production Code was still wheezing along and really messed with movies like this, where love and lust really should have had their way. Women especially had to fall on one side or the other of the good / bad divide (and of course Prudence was already burdened with that name). The "earthy" Italian milieu was probably meant to suggest that there was more going on than there actually was, but for all that was really happening Prudence could have been right back in New England. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

What I didn't remember was that apparently Prudence didn't book a hotel room in advance after placing reservations for the ship.  You'd think a single woman on her first trip to Europe would make sure she had a place to stay!    (and neither did the dorky Etruscan scholar Albert, since they both landed up at a Contessa's charming villa, thanks to Rossano Brazzi)

Prudence falls hard for Don in the space of about three days.   Just like real life!  I love it!  But, with the Production Code still in effect, won't sleep with him because "I still have a conscience"; however, when confronted with what Prudence believes is Don's continued love for sexpot Angie Dickinson, she decides to "compete" (thanks to advice from Constance) by trying to lose her virginity with Brazzi, so she can become a woman of the world.   This fails, of course, when, out of the blue, Rossano refuses!  Just like real life again!  LOL  What red-blooded Italian man would turn down Suzanne Pleshette?

It's more unlikely that she didn't use a travel agent back then that would have taken care of the whole trip for her, as she clearly wasn't on a backpacking holiday going from hostel to hostel. 

In those days, it would have been cost prohibitive and nearly impossible for most to make their own arrangements for hotels overseas, especially if one needed more than one hotel during the vacation.  An international long distance call back then would've cost at least  $12 for a 3 minute call (about $100 today).  If you had that kind of money to throw away on phone calls, you wouldn't be making your own arrangements anyway.   You could always "wire ahead" for arrangements (more cost) but telegrams and mail are inefficient with the delayed back-and-forth.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

The highlights for me are Emilio Pericoli singing "Al Di La" and then Al Hirt doing his jazz rendition of it during a nightclub brawl.

Yes, love that song.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

It's fun to see Constance Ford as an iconoclastic book-seller in Italy complete with shaggy dog.  Nice change of pace from the nasty pieces-of-work she usually plays.  (and very well)

Yes, you become used to her playing hard boiled nasty types, it's a surprise when you see her playing a nice person!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, brianNH said:

By the way, why in Heaven's name does Suzanne Pleshette think she needs any lessons in attracting men?  (Yes, I know it's the whole point of the story, but when I was growing up I had such a crush on Emily from the Bob Newhart Show)

The Pleshette character explains this to her boss,  the Ford character;    the type of women as played by Angie Dickinson.  

While I find Suzanne more attractive and sexy than Angie,    in the film Angie did play a type of women that made other women insecure.

Angie Dickinson: Going by the reports, renowned model Angie Dickinson has  insured her legs for $1 million

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jameselliot said:

Hollywood never awarded Pleshette an Emmy or Golden Globe and the Walk of Fame star was posthumous.

The Walk of Fame is the one of the only "awards" that has a fee attached to it.  Currently it's  $55K.

• Thanks 1

Another Pleshette movie similar to this that shows up occasionally is If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium.  Not quite as good as Rome Adventure and more comedy than romance.  Ian McShane (Lovejoy) plays the male lead/love interest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Another Pleshette movie similar to this that shows up occasionally is If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium.  Not quite as good as Rome Adventure and more comedy than romance.  Ian McShane (Lovejoy) plays the male lead/love interest.

Ah,   you are aware of the British Lovejoy serial:   I can't find a T.V. station that has this show,  but when it was on (about 12 years or more ago),   I watched it all the time.

I also have about 6 Lovejoy books.       

3 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Ah,   you are aware of the British Lovejoy serial:   I can't find a T.V. station that has this show,  but when it was on (about 12 years or more ago),   I watched it all the time.

I also have about 6 Lovejoy books.       

I have the DVD set of Lovejoy.   I read one of the books, but somehow it was not as entertaining as the TV series.  If I remember correctly, in the book he was much more of a womanizer than in the series.  It's interesting to watch a BBC or other British production and see the actors from Lovejoy

1 minute ago, ElCid said:

I have the DVD set of Lovejoy.   I read one of the books, but somehow it was not as entertaining as the TV series.  If I remember correctly, in the book he was much more of a womanizer than in the series.  It's interesting to watch a BBC or other British production and see the actors from Lovejoy

Yes,  in the books Lovejoy is much more the womanizer;  In each one,  he sleeps with at least 2 - 3 of the locals,   as well as at least 1 - 2 newcomers (outsiders) central to the storyline.

Also the storyline in the books are overly complex;   too many twist and turns as well as too many details related to fairly simple actions Lovejoy takes.    The basic plots are still good but the books could have used a lot of editing.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings