Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The nationwide shortage of baby formula is a major stressor

The nationwide shortage of baby formula is a major stressor

For the past three months, Chloe Banks and her husband have been struggling to buy formula for their 11-month-old son, Teddy.

"It's incredibly stressful," she told NPR. "It's endless, where you don't know where your next can of formula is going to come from."

Teddy has a milk and soy protein allergy and needs a special kind of formula. Regular formulas are running low across the U.S. and so are specialized formulas, such as those for babies with allergies and metabolic disorders.

Banks says that as a parent, it's difficult not to be able to get her son what he needs.

"Everything that we want to do is to take the best care of our children," she said. "And we're between a rock and a hard place because it's not like we have other sources."

During the first week of May, the average out-of-stock rate for baby formula at retailers across the country was 43%, according to data from the firm Datasembly, which collected information from more than 11,000 sellers.

In late April, the rate was even higher in some states, with an out-of-stock rate over 50% in Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, Missouri, Texas and Tennessee.

"This issue has been compounded by supply chain challenges, product recalls and historic inflation," Datasembly CEO Ben Reich said in a statement.

We have another crisis that Biden allows to get worse, and pushes off on another agency.

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Yeah what did people use for thousands of years to feed infants before the invention of baby formulas?

There were a lot more tiny coffins built.

Breastfeeding isn't always an option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Breastfeeding isn't always an option. 

Right. Another reason for those who can, should. Breastfeeding can free up formula for those whom it's absolutely essential, can't have breast milk. Why can't people just do their part in times of crisis? Because everyone thinks they deserve better.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

easily solved, get hookers or full-time career businesswomen to breastfeed babies. it will help to develop their maternal instincts.

:D

Warning Signs of Breastfeeding Problems - HealthyChildren.org

Nip - I don't know you, but if you are having a difficult time with the ladies, I assure you it is not because you are short or skinny , if you are those things. You have a shockingly Neanderthal attitude towards women. I say that as a 64 year old woman who grew up in Texas and majored in engineering at a school where 94% of the engineering majors were men. I have seen it all. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Right. Another reason for those who can, should. Breastfeeding can free up formula for those whom it's absolutely essential, can't have breast milk. Why can't people just do their part in times of crisis? Because everyone thinks they deserve better.

Now there's extended breastfeeding when children are old enough to eat (like a steak). Geeze give to those INFANTS who really needs it.

Wonder does the kid invite his friends over for lunch? :wacko:

JSSYLBHG5VG47KEMWOQN5QYX6Q

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

On Wagon Train there was a baby whose mother died.     The granddad had a goat and feed the baby goats milk.   

I assume that might 'work' for some babies but not all.

Goats milk is considered a good substitute. 

https://www.formuland.com/five-baby-formula-alternatives-you-should-consider-for-your-child/

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Nip - I don't know you, but if you are having a difficult time with the ladies, I assure you it is not because you are short or skinny , if you are those things. You have a shockingly Neanderthal attitude towards women. I say that as a 64 year old woman who grew up in Texas and majored in engineering at a school where 94% of the engineering majors were men. I have seen it all. 

Did you know the h in Neanderthal is silent?

:D

nee·an·dr·taal

Is it pronounced Neanderthal or Neandertal?

'Neanderthal' can be pronounced with either a 't' or a 'th' sound - both are acceptable and widely used in English. The German pronunciation, however, has always been 't' (German has no 'th' sound). None of this affects the taxonomic name of the Neandertals.

6 hours ago, hamradio said:

What an idiotic reply, the needs of this country should come FIRST!!

Don't let me be the first person to remind you that many of those migrant babies are American citizens, just like you and me, because they were born here in this country.

Also, let me remind you that anyone in the care of the federal government has the right to be properly fed and taken care of.

And believe it or not, those migrants at the southern border look an awful lot like many American citizens that I see in the grocery store everyday.

You can't tell by looking at a person, whether or not they are an American.

Sometimes I think people get upset because they have a perception about migrants and how they look. But they look just like Americans to me. 😀😀😀

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Don't let me be the first person to remind you that many of those migrant babies are American citizens, just like you and me, because they were born here in this country.

Also, let me remind you that anyone in the care of the federal government has the right to be properly fed and taken care of.

And believe it or not, those migrants at the southern border look an awful lot like many American citizens that I see in the grocery store everyday.

You can't tell by looking at a person, whether or not they are an American.

Sometimes I think people get upset because they have a perception about migrants and how they look. But they look just like Americans to me. 😀😀😀

Please explain - "Many of those migrant babies are American citizens". How so when so many came with their mothers from Central America? 

Are you saying that they were born in America, their parents took them out of the USA, and now are returning with them? 

Again, please explain. 

Edit: Princess of Tap - You choose to laugh at my question rather than answer. I can only assume you are making this stuff up as you go along and there is no truth to your post. 

• Haha 1

This article is saying that the Biden admin IS, in fact, diverting formula for migrant babies, but it is also saying that it is required by law to do so.
The thing is - The Biden admin is letting these migrants into the country. It doesn't have to do so, but because it did baby formula that could go to American kids is going to migrant babies.
It's not that you shouldn't follow the law and feed  the migrant babies formula, or that this amount would stop the shortage in the US. It is the principle of the thing.
Every other nation on earth uses immigration to strengthen its country, either by only allowing in people who can support themselves or have needed skills, or by allowing younger migrants in to mitigate the graying of a society which inevitably happens in developed nations.
Only the USA seems to administer immigration as a suicide pact.

As for the asylum seekers, if they were made to wait in Mexico the migrants would not be the charges of the US government, and the US would not be obligated to feed their infants formula. Mexico, according to international law,  is considered a safe country. An asylum seeker coming from south of Mexico should be seeking asylum there, not the United States.
But then, after all, they are practically all economic migrants not actual asylum seekers.
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 9:42 AM, LsDoorMat said:

Nip is differently abled. He mentioned it in detail in a thread that somebody asked him if he had been in the military. As for the formula the GOP wants the legal residents to get it first. The left media says the GOP wants the migrant babies to starve. It's all in the wording.

13 hours ago, mr6666 said:

never been a mom, but wondering why pediatricians don't have 'recipes' for formulas to give patients

in the event packaged formula availability became difficult or impossible??

:huh:

Never been a mom either, but baby formula is enriched with vitamins and minerals, so you just can't duplicate such a thing at home. There are recipes for making food that is edible by babies, but it is lacking in complete nutrition. The only good long term alternatives for babies are either mom's breast milk or formula. 

6 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

This article is saying that the Biden admin IS, in fact, diverting formula for migrant babies, but it is also saying that it is required by law to do so.
The thing is - The Biden admin is letting these migrants into the country. It doesn't have to do so, but because it did baby formula that could go to American kids is going to migrant babies.
It's not that you shouldn't follow the law and feed  the migrant babies formula, or that this amount would stop the shortage in the US. It is the principle of the thing.
Every other nation on earth uses immigration to strengthen its country, either by only allowing in people who can support themselves or have needed skills, or by allowing younger migrants in to mitigate the graying of a society which inevitably happens in developed nations.
Only the USA seems to administer immigration as a suicide pact.

As for the asylum seekers, if they were made to wait in Mexico the migrants would not be the charges of the US government, and the US would not be obligated to feed their infants formula. Mexico, according to international law,  is considered a safe country. An asylum seeker coming from south of Mexico should be seeking asylum there, not the United States.
But then, after all, they are practically all economic migrants not actual asylum seekers.

Trades, construction and agriculture businesses in US are having significant problems due to a lack of migrants.

• Thanks 1

What happened to production standards regarding safety? Maybe if  companies TEST , wouldn't have a recall issue. :angry:

Plant behind Abbott baby formula recall was unsanitary, FDA finds

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/abbott-baby-formula-recall-fda-details/

Baby formula shortage hitting US is getting worse following recall on numerous brands

https://abc7ny.com/baby-formula-shortage-infant-similac-recall/11831056/