Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We'll always have Elaine


brianNH
 Share

Recommended Posts

OK, so I see that "The Graduate" has been taking a pretty good amount of incoming artillery fire over on another thread; and that got me kinda thinking about something.  For many, many years I have thought of "The Graduate" among  my favorite movies.  Liked the setting, the story (for the most part), the comedy, Katharine Ross and Murray Hamilton especially; and  even though I'm not a Dustin Hoffman fan, he's watchable in this.  And the songs are a gas!

The movie wasn't shown on TV that often for quite a while, so when it would appear in the line-up I made a point of watching it.  And I saw it just often enough to keep it from staling and becoming a disappointment.

Now I'm a good deal older than I used to be, and the last few times I have watched the film I find that I am noticing the flaws and blemishes quite a bit more.  Now I see the whole movie as the prelude to Benjamin and Elaine sitting in the back of the bus staring not at each other but just blankly ahead.  Elaine's expression has become that of her mother at this moment.  

I guess this is what age does to you.  But I don't want the movie's luster to be dulled by this; so I think I'll just go on watching it once in a while -- only enough to maintain that nostalgic patina and remember when the movie was just good.

So my question to anyone who's interested is this:  Do you have a movie that holds a special place in your heart or mind that you only allow yourself certain circumstances in which to watch it?  Something that you were excited about as a kid and now want to keep that echo of enthhusiasm still ringing a bit longer?  Or something else altogether?  

Thanks, everybody.  And here's a little wish that your once favorite movie still brings you joy and contentment.

Brian

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another Mike Nichols-Buck Henry movie comes to mind for me. Catch-22. I've grown less, not more, cynical with age, but even as a teenager watching it on the late show or whenever it would pop up, I could see the send-up of business and war as too heavy-handed to think of as insightful. Still, seeing all the familiar and mostly youthful faces of the cast feels like getting together with old friends, and watching it all unfold, in and out of flashback, toward its revelations, almost all cruel and ugly, to something at last liberating still leaves me with a smile. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many of my favorite films are coming of age stories that I loved when I was younger because i guess i related- i.e. Stand By Me, A River Runs Through It (to an extant).  I wondered as I got older if i'd view them differently, but i haven't and if anything takes me back to my youth.

Although... when I was a teenager I loved Dazed and Confused and i think it was because it was my way at 14 going to a high school party which i was still too young for just barely.  I still like the film because there's some great characters that i think we all knew in high school, but i see the silliness of it all now.  I mean, the three act structure of the story is if the Quarterback is going to sign his coach's contract to stay off drugs and not drink for the summer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, brianNH said:

 

So my question to anyone who's interested is this:  Do you have a movie that holds a special place in your heart or mind that you only allow yourself certain circumstances in which to watch it?  Something that you were excited about as a kid and now want to keep that echo of enthhusiasm still ringing a bit longer?  Or something else altogether?  

Thanks, everybody.  And here's a little wish that your once favorite movie still brings you joy and contentment.

Brian

First movie that comes to mind in these regards here Brian, and I'm absolutely sure I'm not alone in these feelings here, would be a little film that I watch once a year in late December. I've probably watched this particular movie over 50 times in my life, and ever since I happened upon it on a local L.A. television channel one afternoon and when I was in my mid-teen years. Its story premise is about an often befuddled but likeable little angel who attempts to earn his wings by keeping a guy from committing suicide, although the main character in it is the suicidal guy.

Now, I must admit that over the years I too have come to notice a few faults in it, like for instance the one where it's posited that if the suicidal guy had never been born, his wife would have turned out to be a repressed and timid little spinster of a librarian, but this one little flaw still has never lessened my enjoyment of this film at all.

(...oh sorry, I forgot to mention the title of this movie, didn't I...it's called, well, I'm sure you know what its title is, now don't you) ;)

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, brianNH said:

OK, so I see that "The Graduate" has been taking a pretty good amount of incoming artillery fire over on another thread; and that got me kinda thinking about something.  For many, many years I have thought of "The Graduate" among  my favorite movies.  Liked the setting, the story (for the most part), the comedy, Katharine Ross and Murray Hamilton especially; and  even though I'm not a Dustin Hoffman fan, he's watchable in this.  And the songs are a gas!

The movie wasn't shown on TV that often for quite a while, so when it would appear in the line-up I made a point of watching it.  And I saw it just often enough to keep it from staling and becoming a disappointment.

Now I'm a good deal older than I used to be, and the last few times I have watched the film I find that I am noticing the flaws and blemishes quite a bit more.  Now I see the whole movie as the prelude to Benjamin and Elaine sitting in the back of the bus staring not at each other but just blankly ahead.  Elaine's expression has become that of her mother at this moment.  

I guess this is what age does to you.  But I don't want the movie's luster to be dulled by this; so I think I'll just go on watching it once in a while -- only enough to maintain that nostalgic patina and remember when the movie was just good.

So my question to anyone who's interested is this:  Do you have a movie that holds a special place in your heart or mind that you only allow yourself certain circumstances in which to watch it?  Something that you were excited about as a kid and now want to keep that echo of enthhusiasm still ringing a bit longer?  Or something else altogether?  

Thanks, everybody.  And here's a little wish that your once favorite movie still brings you joy and contentment.

Brian

That final shot of the film says so much and it wasn't intended to be like that originally.  I've read that the director decided to just keep the camera rolling and ended up using the long take.  I think if it had been a simple quick cut, the interpretation of the ending would be drastically different for many people.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

First movie that comes to mind in these regards here Brian, and I'm absolutely sure I'm not alone in these feelings here, would be a little film that I watch once a year in late December. I've probably watched this particular movie over 50 times in my life, and ever since I happened upon it on a local L.A. television channel one afternoon and when I was in my mid-teen years. Its story premise is about an often befuddled but likeable little angel who attempts to earn his wings by keeping a guy from committing suicide, although the main character in it is the suicidal guy.

Now, I must admit that over the years I too have come to notice a few faults in it, like for instance the one where it's posited that if the suicidal guy had never been born, his wife would have turned out to be a repressed and timid little spinster of a librarian, but this one little flaw still has never lessened my enjoyment of this film at all.

(...oh sorry, I forgot to mention the title of this movie, didn't I...it's called, well, I'm sure you know what its title is, now don't you) ;)

 

I also thought it was odd that Mary never marries in a world without George Bailey since when she's at the high school dance she's being hounded by boys and later is in a relationship with Sam Wainwright so she obviously was very popular.  It obviously makes the most sense for George's story- seeing his wife possibly happy in another relationship might complicate his decision to want to live.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Brian, when I read your thread title I thought you meant ELAINE BENES,  of Seinfeld fame.  I loved that show,  and I love Elaine  (Benes.) 

image.jpeg.981fde09617e2c2ceabe7d254c46ec0e.jpeg

You talking about me?  Get out !

I though the same thing.   Then I realized this was another thread related to The Graduate.    Hey,  I like that film,  but what made it a hot-topic all of a sudden?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, guys, I understand there may be a bit of confusion about this, so let me explain.  I took the famous Bogart line from "Casablanca" delivered to Ingrid Bergman about holding on to a memory of something that has been cherished and locked away, to be recalled only on certain occasions when the mood is right.  The other thread dealing with "The Graduate" stirred this reaction of mine so that I thought I might start a different thread in which people could bring up movies which to them cause similar emotional nudgings.  

This thread isn't particularly about "The Graduate" and people are free to write about any movie that has over the years changed in their reaction to it.  

That's all.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...