Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Phantom of the Opera sequel set WHERE???!!!

filmlover

LOL, here is something I found very funny in today's L.A. Times. An announced sequel from Andrew Lloyd Webber to his stage hit "Phantom of the Opera", "Love Never Dies." And the Phantom has relocated from Paris to...Coney Island. I'm not making this up!

"Love Never Dies," the long-awaited musical sequel to "The Phantom of the Opera," officially has an opening date.

Andrew Lloyd Webber said Thursday that the musical will first open in London at the Adelphi Theatre on March 9. And it will open on Broadway on Nov. 11, 2010, at an as-yet-unnamed theater.

Set in Coney Island in New York, "Love Never Dies" picks up 10 years after the story of "Phantom," as the title character moves from his lair in the Paris Opera House to the fairgrounds of the popular Long Island locale. The show will star Ramin Karimloo as the Phantom and Sierra Boggess as Christine in the London production.

Tony-winning director Jack O'Brien will stage the production. The music is by Lloyd Webber, who co-wrote the book; the lyrics are by Glenn Slater.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-quick9-2009oct09,0,6066283.story

Here's a piece I found from back in December in which Webber explains his reason for the shift.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/article5409304.ece#

Don't you just feel if it makes it to the big screen that it will be directed by Tim Burton?

I actually just got an e-mail from the Really Useful Group (Lloyd Webber's company) yesterday.

The way it is being described in the publicity materials is this:

Ten years after the mysterious disappearance of The Phantom from the Paris Opera House, Christine Daa? accepts an offer to come to America and perform at New York?s fabulous new playground of the world ? Coney Island.

Christine arrives in New York with her husband Raoul and their son Gustave.

She soon discovers the identity of the anonymous impresario who has

lured her from France to sing.

LOVE NEVER DIES is a rollercoaster ride of obsession and intrigue...

in which music and memory can play cruel tricks... and The Phantom

sets out to prove that, indeed, LOVE NEVER DIES.

So I take it Coney Island was a more glamorous location back in the day? ;)

P.S. This looks like a fun promotional website:

http://www.loveneverdies.com/explore

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> Before the NYC subway system made Coney Island easily accessible for anyone in the city, it was more of a resort area and more the province of the well-to-do. There were hotels, a race track and an area that was designated as a "private beach."

>

Yes, I vaguely remember reading something about that, a long time ago. I guess if it was the province of the well-to-do, it's no surprise Lloyd Webber would set this sequel in that location!

Thanks for the link, I'll be reading that shortly. :)

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=RayFaiola wrote:}{quote}

> > PHANTOM OF THE CYCLONE!

>

> Ray,

>

> Webber could have also set it in the 1950s in a high school gym during prom night, and called it "Phantom of the Bop-era."

Too late. Stephen King beat him to it.