Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2022 Elections - And Beyond

Well, the wars have begun.  As of latest I saw, Oz is barely ahead in PA GOPer primary, but up to 30,000 mail in ballots have yet to be counted, so he may lose as they tend to favor McCormick.

Cawthorn lost in Western NC US House GOPer primary, but was somewhat close.

As much  as I dislike Cawthorn I was hoping  he would win because Upchuck is a smug, sanctimonious sleazebag. Every time he opens his

yap I wish  someone would hit him with a baseball bat.  Pat also was  totally crushed  by Budd. I thought he would have done  a little better.

I'd say  this is McCrory's last election bid, but with  pols you never know.  I'll go  with Oz as the winner,  pulling  in the "Alabama" vote. 

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

As much  as I dislike Cawthorn I was hoping  he would win because Upchuck is a smug, sanctimonious sleazebag. Every time he opens his

yap I wish  someone would hit him with a baseball bat.  Pat also was  totally crushed  by Budd. I thought he would have done  a little better.

I'd say  this is McCrory's last election bid, but with  pols you never know.  I'll go  with Oz as the winner,  pulling  in the "Alabama" vote. 

Does Jasmine Beach-Ferrara (Dem) stand a chance against the GOPer nominee? I assume "Upchuck" is Chuck Edwards, the GOP nominee? What is so bad about him?

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

Does Jasmine Beach-Ferrara (Dem) stand a chance against the GOPer nominee? I assume "Upchuck" is Chuck Edwards, the GOP nominee? What is so bad about him?

He's one of  those mealy mouthed pols who repeats GOP  talking  points from twenty years ago ad  nauseum and  then will throw in some come

to Jesus garbage for a change of pace.  Totally despicable  pos. This  was  one of those races where Cawthorn lost more than Upchuck  won. I  didn't

know very much about Beach-Ferrara. Not one but two degrees  from Ivy Leagues  colleges, married  to  a woman lawyer in Asheville. She might

as  well start writing her concession speech  right now.   🙃

Guess  the sore losers of the 2020 Biden election will argue this is another  example of voter fraud. :wacko:

51 of 54 misplaced ballots added to unofficial Cabell l election results

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/elections/51-of-54-misplaced-ballots-added-to-unofficial-cabell-election-results/article_1099c840-5c7a-51db-8ca2-a3a34e6f8680.html

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/misplaced-ballots-counted-in-cabell-county/

13 hours ago, Vautrin said:

As much  as I dislike Cawthorn I was hoping  he would win because Upchuck is a smug, sanctimonious sleazebag

Cawthorn did claim that he was invited to Washington ****. 

12 hours ago, Vautrin said:

He's one of  those mealy mouthed pols who repeats GOP  talking  points from twenty years ago ad  nauseum and  then will throw in some come

to Jesus garbage for a change of pace.  Totally despicable  pos. This  was  one of those races where Cawthorn lost more than Upchuck  won. I  didn't

know very much about Beach-Ferrara. Not one but two degrees  from Ivy Leagues  colleges, married  to  a woman lawyer in Asheville. She might

as  well start writing her concession speech  right now.   🙃

But you still don't vote, right?

• Thanks 1

Apparently Trump endorsements are slightly ahead in winning primaries.   He'll take this as a victory and blame people such as Cawthorn for their losses.  In Cawthorn's case, that is entirely probable.   Trump did wait until close to the voting to endorse in a couple of races, apparently after he saw the trends.

With a few exceptions it's clear that Trump still has a firm grip on the Republican party. Those that do have reservations about him choose to remain silent for the most part.  Also, most of the media assumes the Republicans led by the MAGA cult will gain control of both houses in the November elections. It may be "wishful hoping", but I'm not so sure that's going to be the case. It's clear Biden's approval rating is very low. Inflation, border issues and culture issues have had an affect.  Frankly, I'm amazed that millions of people still believe that Biden's victory in 2020 was not legitiment.  However, I still have faith in the majority of our citizens. Surely many will be able to wade through the ocean of disinformation that is so prevalent today and elect Democrats and (though there are only a few left) rational Republicans in the next election.  I believe the two wild cards are the Supreme Court's decision on Roe v. Wade and the results of the January 6th Committee. I think how those two things play out will have a profound affect on the vote.  

• Thanks 1

I think the Dems are going to have a very difficult time in November simply due to perception and voter turnout.   Even though Biden has no responsibility for high fuel prices, inflation, the economy and many others, the Dems will get blamed.

The other problem is historic low voter turnout by Dems in off-year elections.  Not sure they can overcome this.  Personally I think a major factor in the 2020 election was the presence of Donald Trump on the ballots.  Many American voters simply voted against him.  His name not being on the ballot this year may result in many Dem leaning voters staying home. 

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

I think the Dems are going to have a very difficult time in November simply due to perception and voter turnout.   Even though Biden has no responsibility for high fuel prices, inflation, the economy and many others, the Dems will get blamed.

The other problem is historic low voter turnout by Dems in off-year elections.  Not sure they can overcome this.  Personally I think a major factor in the 2020 election was the presence of Donald Trump on the ballots.  Many American voters simply voted against him.  His name not being on the ballot this year may result in many Dem leaning voters staying home. 

Sadly I tend to agree with your take here;   One would think Dem voter turnout would surpass the 2020 turnout,  even for a  mid-term,  given all that the GOP has been doing or saying they plan to do if they get more power but I don't see that happening.      Now I believe CA will have a very good Dem turnout(for all city\county\state races) but that isn't going to help other states or the make up in Congress (since Dems already have most CA House seats and I don't think either party is going to change by more than one).

So the GOP is likely to take control of the House,  gain a Senate seat or two,  and make gains at the state level in purple states.     

10 hours ago, Marysara1 said:

Cawthorn did claim that he was invited to Washington ****. 

Yep, I'm sure nothing close to  an orgee has ever occurred  in D.C. 

7 hours ago, ElCid said:

But you still don't vote, right?

Nope.  Even in elections with a rather sparse turnout, one vote makes no difference.  Cawthorn's weird behavior was the reason he lost.

I remember  a poll taken a little bit before things  started  to go  downhill and he led Upchuck by 20 points  or more. And only a clueless

dope like Donny would  believe his endorsed candidates would  win 100% of the time. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Nope.  Even in elections with a rather sparse turnout, one vote makes no difference.  Cawthorn's weird behavior was the reason he lost.

I remember  a poll taken a little bit before things  started  to go  downhill and he led Upchuck by 20 points  or more. And only a clueless

dope like Donny would  believe his endorsed candidates would  win 100% of the time. 

Just this past week, there was a small school district in Texas where a bond issue was defeated by one vote.

Bush won in 2000 by a margin of 537 votes in Florida.

Wyoming's 1994 state House of Representatives election resulted in race with a tie.   It was still tied after a recount.  Election was decided by drawing lots, which is allowed per their constitution.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Vautrin said:

The GOP can count on you for assisting them!    

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Just this past week, there was a small school district in Texas where a bond issue was defeated by one vote.

Bush won in 2000 by a margin of 537 votes in Florida.

Wyoming's 1994 state House of Representatives election resulted in race with a tie.   It was still tied after a recount.  Election was decided by drawing lots, which is allowed per their constitution.

I would guess that elections won by one vote are less than 1% of  all elections, though they do occasionally happen, usually in elections with

small turnout. I  remember many years ago someone wrote a letter to Dear Abby of  all people listing a number of important  elections that

were won by one vote. A little  while later she ran another letter  showing  that all these one vote victories were not true. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

The GOP can count on you for assisting them!    

I will take full responsibility for all NC elections that the GOP wins  by one vote. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I will take full responsibility for all NC elections that the GOP wins  by one vote. 

Good for you. I didn't vote till I was in my 50's . I guess I'm rooting for the GOP. I do hope we get more in the center. I do worry about election integrity. I've heard about the documentary 2000 mules. I see this election business as a car accident to avoid it you turn the wheel sharply but straighten out. The dems are the tree you're avoiding.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Marysara1 said:

Good for you. I didn't vote till I was in my 50's . I guess I'm rooting for the GOP. I do hope we get more in the center. I do worry about election integrity. I've heard about the documentary 2000 mules. I see this election business as a car accident to avoid it you turn the wheel sharply but straighten out. The dems are the tree you're avoiding.

So, how long have you been voting?😀

1 hour ago, Marysara1 said:

First time was Nov. of 2020.

Interesting. What caused you to not vote before 2020?

Age? Disinterest in politics?

My first election I voted in was November 1978. My first presidential election 1980.

I have never voted for a  Democratic party nominee for president. In most years I have voted for the Republican nominee. I have however voted for presidential candidates from the libertarian and independent parties several other times. Ross Perot, Ralph Nader, and Harry Browne.

Most times I have voted for democrats it has been at the state and local levels.

1 minute ago, fxreyman said:

Interesting. What caused you to not vote before 2020?

It was a combination of taking the knee and not liking Biden. Biden was letting everybody think he had their back. Didn't discourage defund the police. Went to a coal town and claimed he was for them and told the green people, he'd help them. I know there're bad cops, but you should respect the U.S. as a country. Trump is a jerk but there's no illusions. That's why Biden's have so many problems, if he forgives student debt, he'll upset the people who paid it off. I was surprised Biden got away with it in the day of the internet (that nobody compared stories)

36 minutes ago, Marysara1 said:

It was a combination of taking the knee and not liking Biden. Biden was letting everybody think he had their back. Didn't discourage defund the police. Went to a coal town and claimed he was for them and told the green people, he'd help them. I know there're bad cops, but you should respect the U.S. as a country. Trump is a jerk but there's no illusions. That's why Biden's have so many problems, if he forgives student debt, he'll upset the people who paid it off. I was surprised Biden got away with it in the day of the internet (that nobody compared stories)

OK, but if you have been able to vote for about 30 years or longer, why did you not vote before?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

OK, but if you have been able to vote for about 30 years or longer, why did you not vote before?

Agreed.

So again my question to Marysara1:

Why have you not voted before 2020???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fxreyman said:

Why have you not voted before 2020???

My family isn't political. I knew about the laptop before the election. The situation got too bad. There were riots and talk about defunding the police. I'm O.K. with getting rid of the bad apples but was afraid of anarchy and knew Biden was untrustworthy. I knew most of the problems were caused by the pandemic. Even now it's about jobs. It's unfair comparison to use things against Trump that was caused by the virus. High unemployment was because of the virus and not Trump. Biden might have ulterior motives about Ukraine. Zelensky might know things about Biden. Whatever happened was before Zelensky got in office. There are elites on both sides. Most people know not to trust the elite but feel nothing will happen to them. Mainstream media is talking about the laptop. It's worse now because more people are disillusioned about government and the media.

• Confused 1

• ElCid changed the title to 2022 Elections - And Beyond