Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wheeler and Woolsey are in the house!!!!!

This Wednesday, October 14th, on TCM, that is!!!

Starting at 8pm EST, W&W fans are gonna be treated with an awesome lineup! THE CUCKOOS (1930), HOOK, LINE AND SINKER (1931), CAUGHT PLASTERED (1932), and PEACH-O-RENO(1932)!!! Woooohoooo!!! Groove to it! I've seen 2 of them, but not the others, and I can't wait for all of 'em!!!

And as if that isn't enough, what follows is outrageous for those of us into early 30's films:

ARSENE LUPIN (1932), followed by the sequel from 1938, ARSENE LUPIN RETURNS!

Then:

SON OF KONG (1933)

PAROLE GIRL (1933)

Out of sight!!!

I'm really looking forward to these as well, but be warned, there are likely to be last-minute scheduling changes. Right now TCM has ONE ROMANTIC NIGHT, which runs 108 minutes, slotted into a ninety-minute slot that afternoon. It's reasonable to assume that starting times for the rest of the day's screenings will be modified to take the overrun into account--so keep checking the online schedule!

Edited by: rkukan on Oct 12, 2009 8:34 PM

> {quote:title=rkukan wrote:}{quote}

> I'm really looking forward to these as well, but be warned, there are likely to be last-minute scheduling changes. Right now TCM has ONE ROMANTIC NIGHT, which runs 108 minutes, slotted into a ninety-minute slot that afternoon. It's reasonable to assume that starting times for the rest of the day's screenings will be modified to take the overrun into account--so keep checking the online schedule!

>

> Edited by: rkukan on Oct 12, 2009 8:34 PM

I sure hope TCMprogrammr is aware of this. That could really wreck havoc with the day's schedule.

Please don't make me turn in my "TCM classic comedy lover" badge but I don't think I've ever watched a Wheeler and Woolsey film!

I missed *The Cuckoos* and *Hook, Line and Sinker* but I did record the other two. I think I also have copies of *Rio Rita*, *Hold 'Em Jail* and *Hips, Hips, Hooray!* lying around here somewhere.

What should I start with?

A riot? I wouldn't say that, no.

But it was interesting to note that George Burns stole his trademark glasses, cigar and mannerisms from one of the two guys.

Or, vice versa.

My brief stop on Cuckoos was valuable for its historical film value, I will say that.

> {quote:title=TriciaNY wrote:}{quote}

> Totally missed them! Guess they are a riot? Next time post ahead of time for we who have not seen them!!! thanks ;)

Tricia, I did post the original reminder on Oct 10th, 4 days before the big day! :)

Sorry you missed them, hopefully TCM will air more again soon! :)

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> I recently had some auto repair work done by a mechanic named Bob Wheeler. I wanted to ask him if he ever worked with a guy named Bert Woolsey.

>

> But he wouldn't have got it...

Oh no, he probably wouldn't have! Too bad, cos it would have been perfect! :)

Molo,

I happen to think that HIPS, HIPS, HOORAY is probably their finest work, but just an opinion. I love a lot of their films, but that one is the first I'd ever seen, so you might have to take it with a grain of salt, but I do find that one probably their most consistently quality. Most of their other films are somewhat uneven at times, to varying degrees, but have those flashes that I just adore!

Of the two you recorded from last night, I've seen PEACH-O-RENO and totally loved it, a riot (and yes, I do think they *are* a riot in some of their films!), and really funny!

Hope you get a chance to watch and enjoy!

I have a crush on Bert, lol. He's so adorable, especially when he sings and dances. This is my favorite number of his with Dorothy Lee, from PEACH-O-RENO (I can't stop watching it, and I love the pre-Code abandon with which Lee whips off her skirt):

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Oct 16, 2009 7:25 AM

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll start with *Hips Hips Hooray* and then go from there. I pretty much get into all kinds of comedy so it will be great to finally check these guys out. :)