Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Disappearing threads

For those who may not have heard the new, more stringent policy regarding copying something and posting it here.  As the below states, best to post a snippet or a paragraph or two and provide a link.  AND then state why people should read the article.

Removed Threads and/or Posts

In recent weeks you may have noticed that some discussions have been removed from the boards. This is happening due to copyright concerns and/or requests for removal.  When you wish to share please do not post the entire article. Instead share a snippet, and provide the link.  Thanks for your cooperation!  TCMModerator1

Do 'THE MODS' at TCM remove threads if someone requests it without any reason?   Someone could be put off by a particular thread and type out a 'request' to remove it without having a valid reason.  "Well, this thread offends me" is not a valid reason as far as I'm concerned.  If there's some kind of copyright 'concern' so be it. 

But is this 'thread removal' stuff arbitrary on some occasions or is it always about one legal concern or another? 

58 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Do 'THE MODS' at TCM remove threads if someone requests it without any reason?   Someone could be put off by a particular thread and type out a 'request' to remove it without having a valid reason.  "Well, this thread offends me" is not a valid reason as far as I'm concerned.  If there's some kind of copyright 'concern' so be it. 

But is this 'thread removal' stuff arbitrary on some occasions or is it always about one legal concern or another? 

As far as I know, they only delete threads if they violate copyrights, or if there are too many posts being deleted due to fighting/trolling/violations of the Code of Conduct, or if the thread creator requests it.

Oftentimes when there's a lot of fighting, they'll just lock the thread, rendering it closed to further comments, but leaving the thread up for reading, although they are usually heavily edited, with a lot of posts deleted, rendering the conflict incomprehensible to current readers.

They will also combine similar threads, either of their own initiative or at the request of others, so that newer threads will appear to be deleted, but in fact its' posts were combined into the older thread.

People have complained about a lack of communication as to why certain threads and/or posts have been moderated, leading to further confusion. Again, as far as I know, I don't think the Mods will remove a thread just because someone doesn't like it, unless it in some way violates the rules of the Message Board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Hi Mr Gorman

LawrenceA is correct in his statements. Posts/threads are removed if they violate the TCM Code of Conduct, which you can read here: https://www.tcm.com/code-of-conduct?icid=footer2-code-of-conduct

And yes, one of those violations can be copyright concerns. This is why we ask that members post just a snippet from an article (a sentence or two), and provide the link so others may read the article in it's entirely if they so desire. 

Hope this provides some clarification, and thank you for your cooperation. 

TCMModerator1 

• Like 1