Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SciFi Movies & TV Shows Set In A Date That Has Come & Gone

I just saw a "memory" on Social media of a post I'd done, where I'd heard on Jeopardy that Lost In Space had been set in 1997, and thought it was funny. It IS funny, haha, and funny, peculiar. In some ways, we're so not close to where they'd fantasized or projected we might be, but we're also far advanced in things they couldn't have even imagined, like all the capabilities of our cell phones and gene splicing, just to name two.

What are some other cool examples of this in movies & TV?

• Like 1

I believe that the most obvious is: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). 

Blade Runner (1982) was set in 2019.

Barb Wire (1996) had a second American Civil War in 2017.

Cherry 2000 (1987) had sexbots in 2017.

Soylent Green (1973) Set in 2022.

Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet (1965) has a colony on the moon in 2020.

Appropriate music:

• Like 2

The 1990 'direct-to-video' Sci•Fi movie THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON takes place in 2022.  I bought a copy of this film years ago on VIDMARK Entertainment and have watched it thrice.   🌑

It's pretty good for such a modestly-budgeted flick.  

If you've never seen it before this is a good year to watch it.  👍

• Like 2

Never heard of this one: Iron Sky (2012) - The Nazis set up a secret base on the dark side of the moon in 1945 where they hide out and plan to return to power in 2018.

Almost 100,000 people will admit they've seen it on IMDb, with a rating of 5.9 .

The Terminator (1984) and its sequels depends on a few timelines, what with robots travelling through time. But the original timeline had Cyberdyne create SkyNet, which went self-aware and began using its machines for global domination, in 1997.

4 hours ago, wbogacz said:

Has Manhattan been made into a prison island yet? Escape from New York (1981) was set in 1997, and the Twin Towers were the glider landing and take-off point.

The second Snake Plissken adventure, "John Carpenter's 'Escape from L.A.' " (1996) took place in the year 2000.

See the source image

Back to the Future Part II

I came upon these before I discovered the Wikipedia article below.

Spoiler alert:  There's a Wikipedia article on this that includes all forms of media.  It even lists individual episodes of TV series. 

If you want to continue to try to come up with your own, don't click on the link!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stories_set_in_a_future_now_past

• Like 1

Entirely off topic but I did some digging and it is interesting to me that Delicatessen (1991) might be the film set furthest in the future as according to IMDB it is possibly set in the year 12,150.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0101700/trivia/?ref_=tt_trv_trv

I can't think of any films set at an explicably later date. This is interesting because of the film's 1930s atmosphere and aesthetic despite being set far in the future.

Then there's both versions of 1984--  1956 and 1984 respectively.  

And BACK TO THE FUTURE II is a 1989 film in which the story  begins in 1985,  but mostly takes place in 2015.   I remember watching that movie in 2015 and sat there wondering why both my city and home didn't have ANY of those amenities!  ;) 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sukhov said:

Entirely off topic but I did some digging and it is interesting to me that Delicatessen (1991) might be the film set furthest in the future as according to IMDB it is possibly set in the year 12,150.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0101700/trivia/?ref_=tt_trv_trv

I can't think of any films set at an explicably later date. This is interesting because of the film's 1930s atmosphere and aesthetic despite being set far in the future.

In The Time Machine, Wells travels to the year 802,701.

Another film that takes place in the future that we've already passed (1966).  Doubt mankind will make it to 802,701.

Prince of Darkness (1987) has a plot point about "visions" that turn out to be transmissions from the future - the year 1999.

Things to Come (1936) has scenes set in 1940, 1966, and 1970. The last section is in 2036, so we're getting closer to that one, too.

It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1957) is set in 1973.

Queen of Outer Space (1958) is set in 1985.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SansFin said:

I believe that the most obvious is: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). 

And 2010: the Year We Make Contact (1984), where the Russian Cold War hadn't been over for twenty years.

Blade Runner (1982) was set in 2019.

Soylent Green (1973) Set in 2022.

The NYC vs. Houston Rollerball (1975) championships were held in 2018.  (Jon-a-than, Jon-athan...Hous-ton, Hous-ton!)

8 hours ago, jakeem said:

The second Snake Plissken adventure, "John Carpenter's 'Escape from L.A.' " (1996) took place in the year 2000.

2013, to be precise--I always wondered whether John Carpenter was TRYING to make the movie look as if it had been an sequel made a few years later in the late 80's, with film-stock, green-screen effects, a GHWBush-era Moral Majority villain, and a joke about Disneyland having been ruined "after EuroDisney".  (Wow, did that joke not age well...)

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And BACK TO THE FUTURE II is a 1989 film in which the story  begins in 1985,  but mostly takes place in 2015.   I remember watching that movie in 2015 and sat there wondering why both my city and home didn't have ANY of those amenities!  ;) 

Although Doc Brown DID get to Oct. 21, 2015, and, despite the lack of hoverboards and holographic Max Spielberg movies, did leave a message for future generations:

(One correct prediction, though:  I remember seeing BttF2 in a theater on Jan . 1, 1990, and during the "Cafe' 80's" scene thought "Yeah--Now that we're out of it, strange to realize somebody years from now is going to be looking back at Reagan, Michael Jackson, Rubik's Cubes, Huey Lewis songs and the Ayatollah, and laughing...Whodathunk it? 🤔 ")

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wbogacz said:

Nazis set up a secret base on the dark side of the moon in 1945 where they hide out and plan to return to power in 2018

More fool them.  It's all dark. 

5 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Not The Time Machine (1960)?

Looks like I posted too late.