Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SciFi Movies & TV Shows Set In A Date That Has Come & Gone

On the Beach (1959) is set in 1964.

Journey to the Seventh Planet (1962) is set in 2001.

The Wizard of Mars (1965) is set in 1975.

Queen of Blood (1966) is set in 1990.

Moon Zero Two (1969) is set in 2021.

Westworld (1973) is set in 1983.

Death Race 2000 (1975) is set in 2000.

Rollerball (1975) is set in 2018.

Cherry 2000 (1987) is set in 2017.

Creepozoids (1987) is set in 1998.

The Running Man (1987) is set in 2017.

A couple with the year in the title: 1990: The Bronx Warriors (1982), and 2019: After the Fall of New York (1983).

• Like 1

Dave's thread title also includes TV shows, and so...

In the 1963 episode of the Twilight Zone series titled "Steel" starring Lee Marvin and Joe Mantell, it's 1974 and Boxing done my humans has been outlawed and so robots are then being used in their place in this sport.

CMC0DlTPRme9RArWiuOyXXjBUHZbz3bjriXg4=&r

(...this one also has a Noir feel to it as well)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

In the 1963 episode of the Twilight Zone series titled "Steel" starring Lee Marvin and Joe Mantell, it's 1974 and Boxing done my humans has been outlawed and so robots are then being used in their place in this sport.

Well, kinda sorta...

EdibleImaginativeChanticleer-size_restri

31 minutes ago, EricJ said:

So, when exactly is Logan's Run (1976) set, that the Capitol can be overgrown, but Peter Ustinov still knows what it is and can recite Cats lyrics?

logans-run-2.jpg

According to Wiki:  2274

The old man learned everything about the past from all those books you see in this photo.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

So, when exactly is Logan's Run (1976) set, that the Capitol can be overgrown, but Peter Ustinov still knows what it is and can recite Cats lyrics?

logans-run-2.jpg

The movie starts on Capricorn 15, 2274.  The folks born on Capricorn 15, 2244 are about to go for a carousel ride.   It ends on Capricorn 29, 2274.

He's reciting from T.S. Eliot's book, not Andrew Lloyd Weber's musical (which uses the poems as the basis for many of the lyrics).  As I recall, the old man wasn't quite sure exactly what that building was.   He doesn't know who's depicted in the official portraits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Possum's_Book_of_Practical_Cats

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

logans-run-2.jpg

Underrated for its social commentary on religion.

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

CMC0DlTPRme9RArWiuOyXXjBUHZbz3bjriXg4=&r

(...this one also has a Noir feel to it as well)

Just about half the episodes were set in the far off future of the 1970s. Elegy has astronauts exploring another star system in 1973.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:11 PM, David Proulx said:

Re: "I just saw a "memory" on Social media of a post I'd done, where I'd heard on Jeopardy that Lost In Space had been set in 1997, and thought it was funny."

A suborbital flight from Los Angeles to London, 1983:  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NoShear said:

A suborbital flight from Los Angeles to London, 1983:  

Actually, all of the other Irwin Allen TV productions took place in the future.

When the television version of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" premiered on ABC in September 1964, the action took place in the mid-1970s.

ATOMIC CHRONOSCAPH — Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1968)

The Robinson family from "Lost in Space" blasted off from Earth in 1997. The series made its debut on CBS in September 1965.

See the source image

The basic time period of "The Time Tunnel," which aired on ABC during the 1966-1967 TV season, was the year 1968.

Atomic Chronoscaph

And then you have Terminator II and 12 Monkeys, two 90s films that had brief scenes set in the still-distant future, but both films predicted that something horrible (global nucular war and a lethal plague, respectively) would occur in 1997 that would wipe out 80% of the world's population. Well, 1997 passed without a hitch, well except for some painful movies