Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Graveyard of Horror (1971)

Swithin

I always enjoy the very odd Graveyard of Horror, which I've seen on television, and more recently on Dailymotion.  I love the Psychotronic's description: "A man cares for his hairy ghoul brother by tending his grave and feeding him fresh corpses. A strange feature best viewed at 5:30 a.m. on television." (Actually, that quote isn't entirely accurate. It isn't the brother who tends the grave and feeds him.) I think I first saw it on television in the '70s, at around 2 a.m. It's kind of insane and surreal, but there's one thing I've never quite understood:

Near the start of the film, Michael Sherrington is going home to his family castle to see his wife and newborn child. On the train, an elderly woman enters his compartment. Michael helps her put her suitcase up on the rack. The woman sits quietly, reading her magazine, as Michael takes out his harmonica and plays the movie's rather catchy theme music. Suddenly, something that looks like blood drips from the woman's suitcase onto her magazine. Michael takes the suitcase down, opens it, and sees something odd inside. To me, it looks like a dead bloody piglet, but I can't tell. For nearly 50 years, I've wondered what is in that suitcase. Not to mention what it has to do with the movie's insane plot!

Here's a good description of the film from a couple of horror websites. One of them says: "If you want bizarre surrealism, Graveyard of Horror has it." I agree. 

http://bleedingskull.com/graveyard-of-horror-1971/

https://fantasyliterature.com/reviews/graveyard-of-horror/

Here's a trailer for the movie:

https://bandsaboutmovies.com/2019/09/24/graveyard-of-horror-1971

GraveyardOfHorror+%25287%2529.jpg

GRAS.jpg

"A repeat viewing revealed that the film does indeed cohere very nicely, with all the many character motivations interacting clearly (and lemme tell you,

those three sisters-in-law are one complicated bunch of senoritas!). This really is a film that benefits from another look!"

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Swithin said:

I always enjoy the very odd Graveyard of Horror, which I've seen on television, and more recently on Dailymotion.  I love the Psychotronic's description: "A man cares for his hairy ghoul brother by tending his grave and feeding him fresh corpses. A strange feature best viewed at 5:30 a.m. on television." (Actually, that quote isn't entirely accurate. It isn't the brother who tends the grave and feeds him.) I think I first saw it on television in the '70s, at around 2 a.m. It's kind of insane and surreal, but there's one thing I've never quite understood:

Near the start of the film, Michael Sherrington is going home to his family castle to see his wife and newborn child. On the train, an elderly woman enters his compartment. Michael helps her put her suitcase up on the rack. The woman sits quietly, reading her magazine, as Michael takes out his harmonica and plays the movie's rather catchy theme music. Suddenly, something that looks like blood drips from the woman's suitcase onto her magazine. Michael takes the suitcase down, opens it, and sees something odd inside. To me, it looks like a dead bloody piglet, but I can't tell. For nearly 50 years, I've wondered what is in that suitcase. Not to mention what it has to do with the movie's insane plot!

Here's a good description of the film from a couple of horror websites. One of them says: "If you want bizarre surrealism, Graveyard of Horror has it." I agree. 

http://bleedingskull.com/graveyard-of-horror-1971/

https://fantasyliterature.com/reviews/graveyard-of-horror/

Here's a trailer for the movie:

https://bandsaboutmovies.com/2019/09/24/graveyard-of-horror-1971

GraveyardOfHorror+%25287%2529.jpg

GRAS.jpg

"A repeat viewing revealed that the film does indeed cohere very nicely, with all the many character motivations interacting clearly (and lemme tell you,

those three sisters-in-law are one complicated bunch of senoritas!). This really is a film that benefits from another look!"

This looks like must see Euro horror insanity

2 hours ago, jaragon said:

This looks like must see Euro horror insanity

Unfortunately, the presentation on Dailymotion is marred by waaaaaayy too many ads -- actually one ad maddeningly repeated. Spanish language-only copies of Necrophagus (or Necrophagous) -- the original title -- are available on YouTube and the Russian OK website, the latter venue offering the best presentation, IMO.

From The Overlook Film Encyclopedia of Horror:

"Since the direction is amateurish, the acting wooden and the script confused, one can only conclude that it was [Alfonso] Nieva's Eastmancolor  cinematography
      which won the film first prize at the 1971 Festival of the Cine de Terror at Sitges [in Spain]."

I must admit, I didn't love Graveyard of Horror. But thank you anyway, Swithin, for your promotion of it.

The reviewer on Least Worst Option wrote "Necrophagus has the look and feel of a Filipino production . . ."

I agree. The monster, to me, evoked (a really crummy imitation of ) the "Chlorophyll Monster" in the Filipino "Blood Island" chillers.

1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Unfortunately, the presentation on Dailymotion is marred by waaaaaayy too many ads -- actually one ad maddeningly repeated. Spanish language-only copies of Necrophagus (or Necrophagous) -- the original title -- are available on YouTube and the Russian OK website, the latter venue offering the best presentation, IMO.

From The Overlook Film Encyclopedia of Horror:

"Since the direction is amateurish, the acting wooden and the script confused, one can only conclude that it was [Alfonso] Nieva's Eastmancolor  cinematography
      which won the film first prize at the 1971 Festival of the Cine de Terror at Sitges [in Spain]."

I must admit, I didn't love Graveyard of Horror. But thank you anyway, Swithin, for your promotion of it.

The reviewer on Least Worst Option wrote "Necrophagus has the look and feel of a Filipino production . . ."

I agree. The monster, to me, evoked (a really crummy imitation of ) the "Chlorophyll Monster" in the Filipino "Blood Island" chillers.

The odd thing is: Assuming it was dubbed, the dubbing seems quite good, meaning synched to mouth movements. Of course the primitive nature of the filming lends to the surreal effect. 

The director (Miguel Madrid) and the actors for the most part have Anglo names -- not Spanish ones.  The director uses the name Michael Skaife.

I found a Spanish language version of this film in You Tube under "Necrophagus" one of its several titles. The prints is  ok but  I wish someone would give this movie a proper blu ray release like they did to "The Killer of Dolls" which was also directed by the same man Miguel Madrid. This one never reaches the bizarre height of the really insane "Dolls" .  The first act like a horror version of a Lorca play- "The House of Bernada Alba" meets HP Lovecraft.   All the women seemed sexually repressed or lust after Michael and his harmonica.  There are moments right of Ed Wood with a creepy doctor and grave robber.   The creature is barely seen for a reason when it shows up at the end it's not very scary.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I don't think I've seen this, but I'd love to!  Right up my alley, like GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE (it's really 1972) ...

Grave of the Vampire is not bad, IMO!

Michael Pataki effectively portrayed a vicious vampire who sires a son (William Smith) cursed with Dad's drinking habit.  Pataki seems to have been somewhat channeling Robert Quarry's Count Yorga. The battle to the death between père et fils -- incredulous as it is seeing the diminutive Pataki tossing about the hulking, muscle-bound Smith -- is a thrilling highlight.

Yes, the budget was low, but the entertainment value is, as far as I'm concerned, high! Two fangs up!

Here's a better quality presentation:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Yes, the budget was low, but the entertainment value is, as far as I'm concerned, high! Two fangs up!

In any case, definitely in our wheelhouse.  Like DEAD OF NIGHT or HOUSE OF SEVEN CORPSES ... what's that 70s Horror with the crazy house (and I don't mean DON'T LOOK IN THE BASEMENT though it's the same ilk...) ???  The one with the broken wine glass...

21 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

In any case, definitely in our wheelhouse.  Like DEAD OF NIGHT or HOUSE OF SEVEN CORPSES ... what's that 70s Horror with the crazy house (and I don't mean DON'T LOOK IN THE BASEMENT though it's the same ilk...) ???  The one with the broken wine glass...

Allhallowsday,

I think that you're referring to the superb Silent Night, Bloody Night (retitled Deathouse in the accompanying clip).

• Thanks 1