Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Third Man in Canada?

Pardon me for posting this on more than one thread but I am not sure which one is appropriate.

I am wondering whether the August 5 airing of The Third Man on TCM will be seen in Canada? Previous TCM airings have been blocked here, apparently over rights issues.

14 hours ago, SBurgess said:

And the answer was no. We got "The Tartars" instead. Heartbreaking that we never get The Third Man up here--one of the all-time greats.

Sadly those rights-issues with TCM showing a film in Canada take years (if not decades) to resolve.      Below is what I found on Wiki with regards to the films copyright status;  reads like a royal legal mess especially in Britain.     

In the United Kingdom, films of this vintage are copyright protected as dramatic works until 70 years after the end of the year in which that last "principal author" died. The principal authors are generally the writer/s, director/s or composer/s of original work, and since in the case of The Third Man Graham Greene died in 1991, the film is protected until the end of 2061.

This film lapsed into public domain in the United States when the copyright was not renewed after David Selznick's death. In 1996, the Uruguay Round Agreements Act[55] restored the film's U.S. copyright protection to StudioCanal Image UK Ltd. The Criterion Collection released a digitally restored DVD of the original British print of the film. In 2008, Criterion released a Blu-ray edition,[56] and in September 2010, Lions Gate reissued the film on Blu-ray.[52]

On 18 January 2012, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in Golan v. Holder that the copyright clause of the United States Constitution does not prevent the U.S. from meeting its treaty obligations towards copyright protection for foreign works. Following the ruling, notable films such as The Third Man and The 39 Steps were taken back out of the public domain and became fully copyrighted in the United States.[57] Under current U.S. copyright law, The Third Man will remain copyrighted until 1 January 2045.[55]