Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Francis Albert Sinatra

Since the man has no "live" thread exclusively for him at present, I'll try to make this a

repository of all (positive) things Frankensense. :)

Favorite Movies:

1. *Kings Go Forth* (1958)

2. *The Detective* (1968)

3. *The Manchurian Candidate* (1962)

4. *The Naked Runner* (1967)

5. *Assault on a Queen* (1966)

Favorite Music:

1. "Violets For Your Furs" (Denis/Adair)

2. "The Lady is a Tramp" (Rodgers/Hart)

3. "The Best is Yet to Come" (Coleman/Leigh)

4. "Dindi" (Oliveira/Gilbert/Jobim)

5. "I'll Remember April" (DePaul/Raye/Johnston)

Please share YOUR favorites, too.

FrankonsetTVShow-1.gif

I like Frank Sinatra mostly for his musicals - On the Town, Take Me Out to the Ball Game, Anchors Aweigh, It Happened in Brooklyn, etc.

But I also appreciate his dramatic performances in From Here to Eternity, The Manchurian Candidate,Kings Go Forth, etc.

Frank%20Sinatra%20Dean%20Martin%20Oceans%2011.jpg

And of course there's the Frank of Ocean's 11 and the like. :D

FRANKIE!!!!! Great idea, Miss Goddess. Here's a man who went from crooner to accomplished and respected actor and entertainer! He truly held his own against Laurence Harvey and the great Angela Lansbury in "THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE." And he was married to one of the most beautiful women in motion pictures.

FRANKIE!!!!!!!!! Wotta life. :D

A ring-a-ding-ding to you, CinemAVA! :D

Here's a man who went from crooner to accomplished and respected actor and entertainer!

Don't forget he started from nuthin' but talent to burn and burning ambition, proving the

"little guy" can make it all the way.

He truly held his own against Laurence Harvey and the great Angela Lansbury in "THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE."

Spectacular movie, and I love how Frank's performance beautifully grounds it. He underplays

and lets Larry and Angie really go out swinging. Poor Raymond, I was really feeling so

sorry for him---quite a performance. And Mother Iselin.....whew! I think she'd have made

Liberty Valance scamper away in fright! :D

But for me, my favorite moments are the quiet, whimsical scenes between Ben and

Rosie. When I first saw this movie, I was unprepared for them, I figured it was going

to be ALL tension, ALL the time. I was relieved by the "breathers" afforded by these

scenes.

I like Rosie's direct approach:

manchurian55.jpg

manchurian56.jpg

manchurian57.jpg

And he was married to one of the most beautiful women in motion pictures.

Not bad.

frankandava.jpg

FrankAva-Pandorapremiere.jpg

FRANKIE!!!!!!!!! Wotta life.

Pretty wild. ;)

FrankCoop.jpg

My favorite Sinatra songs( I am a Sinatraphile as far as music goes): "All My Tomorrows", "The Second Time Around", "I Had the Craziest Dream", "I Love My Wife", "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry", "Why Try to Change Me Now", "Only the Lonely", "Here's That Rainy Day""You and Me, We Wanted It All", "Once Upon a Time", "Everything Happens To Me".

I can't think of any Sinatra song that is my favorite--I love them all!

In my opinion, one of the best was "One For My Baby", but "My Way", "Lady Is A Tramp", "Fly Me To The Moon", etc. etc.

The list of his greats just goes on and on!

What a voice!

> {quote:title=jim2 wrote:}{quote}

> I can't think of any Sinatra song that is my favorite--I love them all!

> In my opinion, one of the best was "One For My Baby", but "My Way", "Lady Is A Tramp", "Fly Me To The Moon", etc. etc.

> The list of his greats just goes on and on!

> What a voice!

Hi Jim!

I know what you mean, I sweat bullets everytime I think of trying to narrow down

my favorites after the first three. I mean---I love practically whole entire ALBUMS

by him---especially the "concept" albums and every sing track on Francis Albert

Sinatra/Antonio Carlos Jobim. Some nights I couldn't have gotten through

without old Frank.

Ol Blue Eyes had many terrific albums but one of my all time favorites and one of his best was "Sinatra at the Sands", a recording of one of his shows at the Sands in the 60's on two records with almost all of the great songs of his with Count Basie and his orchestra . It's a real gas Clyde. Also "A Man and his Music" is another great album. Damn I think I'll go and fire up the old turntable and slip on a wax job....

Hey there, Fred Baby! :D

Ol Blue Eyes had many terrific albums but one of my all time favorites and one of his best was "Sinatra at the Sands", a recording of one of his shows at the Sands in the 60's on two records with almost all of the great songs of his with Count Basie and his orchestra . It's a real gas Clyde.

You must be reading my mind! Today as I was listening to some of the Reprise collection

I thought to myself it was about time I got the "Sinatra at the Sands" album. You just sealed the deal. It must be "fate".

Also "A Man and his Music" is another great album. Damn I think I'll go and fire up the old turntable and slip on a wax job....

Oh...that's the BEST way to listen to them. I'm afraid I just have cd's or the Mp3 player. However, I do own just two LPs, both bought in London, both Francis, including my all time favorite, the one he did with Jobim (swoon!).

I have the DVDs of "A Man and His Music" shows---oh my goodness, they are so

phenomenal, so GREAT, that I actually CANNOT watch them too often. It stirs me

up too much. I literally go crazy watching and listening to them. I know, I got it bad. :D

I think they are the greatest popular musical performance art in television history.

Do I sound like a fan?

This isn't Basie of course, but it's a video of Frank singing at the Sands...looks

like it might have been an amateur recording it...the sound and picture is not

great, I don't know, but it's FRANK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AgFygoK4XE

Miss G. You are one grooving Chick and a Beautiful Music Appreciator { If that's not a word it is now} I still have almost a dozen of Francis Alberts Albums including Antonio Carlos and "Strangers in the Night", "Days of Wine and Roses,Moon River" with Nelson Riddle,with Count Basie again "It Might as Well be Swing" among others and my album of Robert Mitchum singing "Calyspo" among others. I never throw anything away....

Miss G. You are one grooving Chick and a Beautiful Music Appreciator { If that's not a word it is now}

Why thank you, Fred!

I still have almost a dozen of Francis Alberts Albums including Antonio Carlos and "Strangers in the Night", "Days of Wine and Roses,Moon River" with Nelson Riddle,with Count Basie again "It Might as Well be Swing" among others and my album of Robert Mitchum singing "Calyspo" among others. I never throw anything away....

Oh don't you dare even think of throwing them away! The turntable is trendy again, I hear,

and they are releasing stuff on LP again, which I think is dreamy. My father swore by

records, he was VERY picky about those things, a real "hi- fi bug".

You even have Mitch's album??? How cool is that! Someone serve me a Mai Tai and

put that platter on for me, Fred Baby. Fire Down Below is one of my favorite

Mitchum movies, and I hear that it was while making this movie he really got into

the Calypso groove.

I wish he and Frank had done a movie together, I think that would have been a gasser.

That would really have been a major piece of movie making. I read years ago that when Mitchum started the album that they had to tone down the baaaad words that were in the original songs because of the censors. I still have some of my original soundtracks from the movies I got when the films premiered. "The Alamo". "Mutiny on the Bounty" with the booklet that came with the album and the first 4 James Bond films and a few of Tony Bennett. Damn this is taking me back to a fun time when we smoked and drank and chased chicks ahh the good old days....I'm just thankful I survived them....

MissG,

*Sinatra at the Sands* is a must for any Frank lover. The album is truly a time capsule. Recorded in the Copa Room at the Sands Hotel in the 1960s, Sinatra is backed up by the Countie Basie Orchestra and Quincy Jones, (yep, that Quincy Jones) is the conductor.

You get snippets of Frank talking to the audience and glasses tinkling and crowd murmur as well. The Copa Room was a small showroom by today's standards. If memory serves, it seated about 750, maybe 800 people. Two shows nightly, the dinner show (with an actual meal) and the Late Show with it's two drink minimum.

King's Row was the area right in front of the stage where all the Hollywood stars and famous folk from that era clamored to sit.

It's a great album and captures Sinatra at the height of his stardom in Vegas (which is different from the height of his stardom in Hollywood).

Holly, I worked on Variety shows and specials like "The Hollywood Palace" and The Lennon Sisters and Barbara Eden specials, Wide World of Sports, The Tonight Show with Carson while it was still in New York covered almost every sporting event there is worked on Soaps like "Another World" and "General Hospital".Worked in Master Control and ran news camera in the studio, game shows like "Lets Make a Deal', "The Newlywed Game" and the "Dating Game" Worked specials like the "Tony Awards in 1966, some of these I ran camera and others I was a cable puller or Boom operator or stand by tape man. Didn't start to really cover the news until I went to work for the Chinese TV stations in 1987 but also did Variety and interview shows for them as well...Like I said it was a fun job and a fun time and worked with some great people both famous and not so famous....

fred,

It sounds like quite an exciting time. Working in TV can be quite exciting, especially live television. I don't know much about the industry but sometimes I almost wish I did. On the other hand, I think TV these days is so ratings-driven that to some extent it has seriously hindered creativity.

And speaking of Frank Sinatra, do you like any of the TV biopics that have been made about him?

Miss G - I had the pleasure of seeing Frank, Dino, and Liza - in a huge venue, though. Somewhere more intimate would have been nice, but it's something I'll never forget.

Hope this is not censored - *Baby Frank* - the apple of his mom's eye. One of my favorites?

*Young at Heart*.

sinatra-as-baby.jpg

Holly,It had changed so much from when I worked at the networks and even local indies. It's all reality shows now, there is no more variety show that they use to have like the Hollywood Palace or the Dean Martin shows. Those shows were terrific but they have gone the way of the passenger pigeons. Even Jay Leno said that when he was starting his new show { Yawn} he didn't want to use the word "Variety Show" You're right about how the networks very rarely have any faith in a show to let it garner an audience. Years ago they were willing to take a chance on letting a show find a following. "Seinfeld" was one that didn't have a big following at first but the powers that be took a gamble on it and didn't cancel it. The same with shows like "All in the Family". But now a days if it isn't in the top ten by the second or third week ,by by baby.But it goes in cycles and who knows how the public taste will turn. The nets love the reality shows, it's pure profit and not a big expense. I'm sure I'll hear from people on that........I did like the HBO Sinatra one with Ray Liotta { I think it was HBO }

Edited by: fredbaetz on Oct 13, 2009 11:45 PM

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> I did like the HBO Sinatra one with Ray Liotta { I think it was HBO }

>

I don't think I've seen that, but I'll look for it.

Glad to hear you agree with me regarding the ways in which things have changed in the TV industry. It seems amazing that just a few decades ago, all Americans had the same three basic choices (plus maybe a few local channels).

Now, there are hundreds and hundreds of channels, and the viewership is more segmented than ever before. And so much of it isn't even worth watching...