Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Francis Albert Sinatra

It was done in 1998 and called "The Rat Pack" it was about the clan [which was the real title not the rat pack, but pack stuck with them. The rat pack was named i think by Lauren Bacall when Bogie was alive and the boys use to meet at his house for drinks, then after he died and Frankie took over they were called the clan but the other name stuck/ But the movie was about them in the 1960's in Las Vegas. Liotta was Sinatra ans Joe Mantegne was Dean Martin and Don Cheadle was Sammy Davis Jr with William Petterson, before CSI as John Kennedy..

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> That would really have been a major piece of movie making. I read years ago that when Mitchum started the album that they had to tone down the baaaad words that were in the original songs because of the censors. I still have some of my original soundtracks from the movies I got when the films premiered. "The Alamo". "Mutiny on the Bounty" with the booklet that came with the album and the first 4 James Bond films and a few of Tony Bennett. Damn this is taking me back to a fun time when we smoked and drank and chased chicks ahh the good old days....I'm just thankful I survived them....

What's shaking, Fredsie!?

What a fantastic collection you've got there, I'm pea green! And I'm glad you survived to be

here and share these wonderful memories. :D

I imagine anything Mitch attempted needed to be scrubbed up for popular consumption, lol!

P.S. I forgot that Mitch and Frankie did appear together in *Not As a Stranger*, but

Frank's role was really a small supporting part.

Hi cinemafan!! LOVE the pix...Frankie on a bear rug...can you tell he was spoiled

from the get-go? :D Keep them coming! By the way, do you have a favorite song by him?

P.S. I saw Liza in concert once...I don't think it was the tour she did with Frank and Sammy,

but wouldn't it be funny if it was? I should ask my mother. I only remember Liza, belting

out "New York, New York". That was the first time I heard the song. I was so little, my

recollection is fuzzy. If it turns out Frank was at that concert then at least I can say I

really did see him in concert. However, I do remember and cherish being

able to attend his 80th birthday bash in L.A. (it was broadcast on TV). He didn't sing

(thank goodness, ha) but he was there and it was grand just to be in the same "room".

color1946.jpg

First: he is impossible to NOT watch in film or on TV.

Second: He was CHEATED out of an Oscar for *Man with the Golden Arm.*

Third: He just HAD to be an actor...great lounge-lizard singer wasn't enough.

Fourth: According to author William Manchester, Sinatra was "The Most Hated Man by Troops Fighting in WWII." John Wayne also made that list.

5: I liked Frankie and still do...but he remains a lightning rod for controversy. He gave $millions$ to charity and helped countless thousands anonymously.

Hi Lynne! I agree it's a fabulous session, a real high watermark in popular music. I've

heard it I just don't own a copy of Sinatra at the Sands. I will remedy that before the

week is out. :D

By the way, I consider this particular session's recording of "I've Got You Under My Skin"

to be THE definitive version---even better than the earlier studio recording that's more famous. It's

grittier, the grind is harsher, that key horn solo (I think it's "Sweets" Edison?) is stratospheric

and Frank and Basie swing like nobody's business. Positively euphoric. I can hardly listen to it,

it's so exciting.

basiefrank.jpg

> {quote:title=Ascotrudgeracer wrote:}{quote}

> First: he is impossible to NOT watch in film or on TV.

>

I agree, but I still can't hardly STAND it, he's so good sometimes. I gotta leave the room.

> Second: He was CHEATED out of an Oscar for *Man with the Golden Arm.*

>

He certainly earned it.

> Third: He just HAD to be an actor...great lounge-lizard singer wasn't enough.

>

Hold on! Lounge Lizard will NOT be accepted. That goes back out the door. Save

it for the pale imitations.

My DE Lovely MissGoddess, I am ashamed that I forgot "Not as a Stranger" with the boys and our own Olivia de H and Lee Marvin and Gloria Graham. Haven't seen it in a long time.For all his screen persona as a tough guy and I think he was , he was married to his wife Dorothy for 57 years until his death. Some sort of Hollywood { or anywhere else} record.

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> My DE Lovely MissGoddess, I am ashamed that I forgot "Not as a Stranger" with the boys and our own Olivia de H and Lee Marvin and Gloria Graham. Haven't seen it in a long time.For all his screen persona as a tough guy and I think he was , he was married to his wife Dorothy for 57 years until his death. Some sort of Hollywood { or anywhere else} record.

Isn't it admirable? She had a lot to put up with, I'm sure, but I bet she wasn't bored! :D

BobDorothyMitchum.jpg

Just read of the passing of Al Martino at age 82, he was the last of the old Lounge singers, as far as I know.He played the Frank Sinatra -Like character in "The Godfather".

Edited by: fredbaetz on Oct 14, 2009 11:54 AM

He really was cheated out of an nomination for "The Man with the Golden Arm", He did an outstanding piece of acting in that film.That's one of those films that after watching it, you want to take a shower, "Midnight Cowboy" was another that I felt the same way about. Great film but it made you feel dirty...

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> While I think the man had a great deal of talent he recorded, in my opinion, one of the worst Christmas albums ever. The material wasn't bad bur it sounds like he slept through the whole thing. It was just lame. I can't remember the title.

Oh, no, Chris! You don't mean "A Jolly Christmas with Frank Sinatra", do you? It is one of FAVORITE Christmas albums! Seriously, I love Christmas music and I have about 100 cds just of holiday music. "A Jolly Christmas with Frank Sinatra" is in my top ten. It was recorded in 1957.

I do know that there is another Frank Sinatra cd--recorded later in his career. Maybe that's the one that you're referring to.

Sandy K

He did about 4 or 5 Christmas albums.I think he was referring to one of Franks later albums. He did have a tendency to get a little lazy at times with his recordings, but the times were only a few.He did the same thing with his acting also.

Edited by: fredbaetz on Oct 14, 2009 1:16 PM

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> While I think the man had a great deal of talent he recorded, in my opinion, one of the worst Christmas albums ever. The material wasn't bad bur it sounds like he slept through the whole thing. It was just lame. I can't remember the title.

Hi Chris! I don't celebrate Christmas so I guess I'll never know how bad it is, ha!!!! :D

Well, when old Bob was smoking weed....I couldn't resist when I saw that photo.

And it's not random. Whether it's apocryphal or not I'm not sure, but Bob supposedly

told his wife, who was worried about their financial situation when he first went into

acting, that she'd be able to wear silk when performing a certain bodily function,

more dyspeptic than erotic, if you follow. Like a lot of movie land quotes, whether

authentic or not, it's still funny. ;)