Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Francis Albert Sinatra

I believe they were both on "Your Hit Parade" together in the late 40's, a weekly radio show charting the top songs of the week..Also even though Frank had won the Academy Award for "From Here to Eternity", it was Doris who got top billing.

Edited by: fredbaetz on Oct 16, 2009 9:53 PM

His style of insult humor is like an older insult comic named "Fat" Jack E. Leonard. Sinatra was a big help in Rickles career. Story goes he spied Frank in the audience one night and made a remark about "The Pride and the Passion" a film Frank had done with Cary Grant and Sophia Loren , Rickles told Sinatra that the cannon's acting was great, then he said "Make yourself at home Frank...hit someone" Sinatra though he was very funny and started telling all his show biz buddies to catch Rickles and let him insult them... The rest as they say is history...

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> I believe they were both on "Your Hit Parade" together in the late 40's, a weekly radio show charting the top songs of the week..Also even though Frank had won the Academy Award for "From Here to Eternity", it was Doris who got top billing.

>

Thanks Fred Baby, I knew you'd know the score. :)

I've got to watch Lured now, you cats.

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> I'm not sure if I've ever seen "Lured". but I'm recording it to watch tomorrow...

This was my second viewing and I like it even more than the first time! George

Sanders (swoon!) is so adorable and what neat couple he and Lucy make. Terrific

script, cast and Douglas Sirk orchestrating it all. Not to mention a wild cameo

by Boris Karloff! I hope you enjoy it.

Love your picture, cinemfan! I don't think I've seen that one...it looks like it could

be from Man with the Golden Arm, but I'm not sure. As for the one with the

taped mike, I like how "live" it feels and the lighting makes one of his blue eyes

look darker than the other.

As much as I love the myth of Ava and Frank, the reality is that no matter how much they loved each other (esp. over the years) they treated each other like dirt too much of the time.

I agree 100%, it was a terrific piece of work by Doris, and Cagney gave one of his best performances in his later films and received an Academy Award nomination for his work, but they over looked Doris and she should have been nominated also. She really was outstanding as Ruth Etting. Ava Gardner had wanted the role, but Cagney pushed for Day and got her. The film was nominated for 7 or 8 awards and won a few....PS... It was on this morning but HBOSW will air "Not as a Stranger" again this coming Wed, at 6:30 am with Frankie and Dr Mitchum.....

Edited by: fredbaetz on Oct 17, 2009 11:37 AM

I remember "Fat" Jack E. Leonard very well. Another thing I remember about him was he always a panama hat when he performed and for some reason while doing his routines he always helt his right hand on the side of his stomach like a man holding his belly when laughing.He was appearing at the Rainbow Room at Rockerfeller Center in New York and had just come off stage and collapsed and died the next day at age 62.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> As much as I love the myth of Ava and Frank, the reality is that no matter how much they loved each other (esp. over the years) they treated each other like dirt too much of the time.

This is not meant to disparage either, but this photo of Frank and Ava reveals a lot - he looks like he's holding on for dear life and she looks like she's desperate to get away. They were probably too much alike.

ava_gardner-frank_sinatra.jpg