Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

John Lennon's letter to Paul McCartney from 1971 sold


 Share

Recommended Posts

An outfit called "Gotta Have Rock and Roll" is auctioning a typed and signed letter from John Lennon to Paul McCartney dated November 24, 1971 written in response to Paul's interview with Melody Maker that month wherein Paul said he just wanted a clean break but John was standing in the way. 

Melody Maker published it with some edits in the next issue.

Minimum bid is $20,000, with six bids in as I post. Ends in 12 days.

07HuiUY.jpg

Uc7Q2wm.jpg

GHVpOkH.png

It's a shame John can't be here to post with us. His style seems familiar somehow, doesn't it? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • LuckyDan changed the title to Bid on John Lennon's letter to Paul McCartney from 1971

Was Allen Klein really the villain Paul believed he was? Well, when John, George and Ringo decided in 1973 not to renew Klein's contract, he sued them for $19 million. He won $5 million but had to pay $800,000 which was divided between George's publishing company, Ringo, Apple Ltd., and Apple films.

Paul, having foreseen the trouble, was not involved.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Was Allen Klein really the villain Paul believed he was? Well, when John, George and Ringo decided in 1973 not to renew Klein's contract, he sued them for $19 million. He won $5 million but had to pay $800,000 which was divided between George's publishing company, Ringo, Apple Ltd., and Apple films.

Paul, having foreseen the trouble, was not involved.

Paul tends to get a bad rap,  but not from me.     Paul made mistakes,   just like all of us do.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just copied them to the hard drive, thank you just saved me $20,000+

(is the ORIGINAL more valuable because it's partially dry rotted with his fingerprints :wacko:)

Edited by hamradio
Typo
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The drama between John and Paul back then reminds me of what some couples I knew sounded like when going through their divorces.  They were both really full of themselves.  Only back then John was a bit better at hiding the fact.  

Sepiatone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Paul tends to get a bad rap,  but not from me.     Paul made mistakes,   just like all of us do.

 

I wouldn't have trusted Klein either. I can't recall if it was John or Ringo in the Get Back doc who said of him, Yes he's a con man but at least he will be a con man working for us

Paul was intractable on having Lee Eastman manage their business, and he should have seen the apparent conflict of interest the others were worried about. Paul was married to Eastman's daughter. 

Edited by LuckyDan
Edited to correct Lee Eastman's first name.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

I just copied them to the hard drive, thanks you just saved me $20,000+

(is the ORIGINAL more valuable because it's partially dry rotted with his fingerprints :wacko:)

And the paper still smells like weed.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

The drama between John and Paul back then reminds me of what some couples I knew sounded like when going through their divorces.  They were both really full of themselves.  Only back then John was a bit better at hiding the fact.  

Sepiatone

Money breaks people up. Families. Friends. It's seductive stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Paul tends to get a bad rap,  but not from me.     Paul made mistakes,   just like all of us do.

 

You are correct, but definitely he gets bad rap from me these days, and mainly because of those albums and those songs... ;)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

The drama between John and Paul back then reminds me of what some couples I knew sounded like when going through their divorces.  They were both really full of themselves.  Only back then John was a bit better at hiding the fact.  

Sepiatone

Are you sure about that? 

lennongris.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

PAUL_MCCARTNEY_AND_WINGS_MELODY+MAKER+-+ 

Wildlife must've been released a few months later... the only WINGS album I've never owned. 

This is the only Wings CD I own, has all my favorite songs on one disc.

41Q4EDEEFRL.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2022 at 3:09 AM, LuckyDan said:

Minimum bid is $20,000, with six bids in as I post. Ends in 12 days.

Haha  just like Hamradio, I immediately captured my free copy image too. I'm not a Beatles fan but it's interesting to read. I agree it reminds me of divorce, everyone sees their side as the only one, instead of one of several.

multi-sided-die-dice-games-blue-purple-t

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Are you sure about that? 

lennongris.jpg

 

I did say a "bit".   Looking at old film footage I notice Paul looking more smug and condescending more often than John.  

On recordings it's a different matter. 

Sepiatone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they all had a knack for punkery, to some degree - they were first generation rock and rollers, after all - but you know who surprised me as a sly wisecracker in Get Back?

beatles-get-back-george-harrison.jpeg?q=

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I think they all had a knack for punkery, to some degree - they were first generation rock and rollers, after all - but you know who surprised me as a sly wisecracker in Get Back?

beatles-get-back-george-harrison.jpeg?q=

 

In some of the Anthology takes George shows himself to have really been the "witty" Beatle.  

I recall an interview with John about  Paul visiting him in John's Dakota residence and tuning in to SNL when George was on the show.  Paul came up with the idea of surprising George and the show by going down there and walking into 30 rock.  John nixed the idea saying something about not wanting to steal the spotlight from George since he was the "special guest" on the show, and also because,  "We've been doing that to him for so many years and he deserves better."  

That's how smug John was.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

In some of the Anthology takes George shows himself to have really been the "witty" Beatle.  

I recall an interview with John about  Paul visiting him in John's Dakota residence and tuning in to SNL when George was on the show.  Paul came up with the idea of surprising George and the show by going down there and walking into 30 rock.  John nixed the idea saying something about not wanting to steal the spotlight from George since he was the "special guest" on the show, and also because,  "We've been doing that to him for so many years and he deserves better."  

That's how smug John was.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I'd heard John liked the idea but he couldn't leave because there was no one to there to watch Sean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • LuckyDan changed the title to John Lennon's letter to Paul McCartney from 1971 sold

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...