Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No democrats "defunding" here, MM

Alabama town disbands police department over racist text

ASSOCIATED PRESS

VINCENT, Ala. - A racist text message sent by a police officer has prompted officials in a small Alabama town to disband their police department and fire the police chief and assistant chief.

Vincent Mayor James Latimore on Thursday confirmed that Police Chief James Srygley and Assistant Chief John L. Goss had been dismissed, al.com reported.

The Shelby County Sheriff's Office on Friday condemned the two officers' actions and said it stands with the city “in providing emergency law enforcement related service to the citizens (of Vincent) at this time.”

In the message, which recently surfaced on social media, someone identified as “752” texts: “What do y'all call a pregnant slave?” An unidentified recipient responds twice: “?” and “??”

“752” answers: “BOGO Buy one, get one free” “This has torn this community apart. It doesn't matter what color we are as long as we do right by people,” City Councilman Corey Abrams said during Thursday's council meeting.

On Tuesday, Latimore said “appropriate action has been taken” against the officer alleged to have sent the text, though at the time he would not name the person or anyone involved.

The city's website lists three people in its department: Srygley, Goss and Officer Lee Carden.

During the council meeting, Latimore announced he had suspended the chief and assistant chief, and the council voted to end the agency. Latimer said Carden turned in his resignation via text message just hours after the city council voted to dissolve the department.

Located in central Alabama, southeast of Birmingham, Vincent has a population of just under 2,000 people. It's located in Shelby, St. Clair, and Talladega counties.

Far as I know, Alabama is very much red.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is not a defunding issue, simply removing a 3 man police force with racial insensitivity which patrols a population under 2,000.  The local sheriff deputies will take on law enforcement.  The police involved must not had been that important so the decision for termination was made easier.  Future crimes will dictate if new officers are needed.

Just visited Vincent, not much to write home about.

newspress-collage-23364092-1659898707691

29 minutes ago, hamradio said:

This is not a defunding issue, simply removing a 3 man police force with racial insensitivity which patrols a population under 2,000.

I know that, but somehow MM will find a way to blame democrats.  You know that, right?

Sepiatone

20 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I know that, but somehow MM will find a way to blame democrats.  You know that, right?

Sepiatone

Actually many really small towns are faced with the issue of disbanding a really small,  expensive, inefficient police force and contracting with other agencies to provide better service, cheaper.    Many are in super red, ultra-conservative states.  

The days of every little town having its own police department may be nearing an end.  Same with fire departments and emergency medical services.  

right! it will all be under one gigantic democrat-controlled federal polit bureau. that's what the democrats call of the people, by the people and for the people.

yeah...THEIR people.

:D

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

right! it will all be under one gigantic democrat-controlled federal polit bureau. that's what the democrats call of the people, by the people and for the people.

yeah...THEIR people.

NO, you have it wrong.  The really small towns generally contract with local sheriff's department - which is led by an elected sheriff.  

I haven't seen any statistics, but I would imagine most sheriffs are Republican.

They could contract with a nearby larger city.

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

Actually many really small towns are faced with the issue of disbanding a really small,  expensive, inefficient police force and contracting with other agencies to provide better service, cheaper.    Many are in super red, ultra-conservative states.  

The days of every little town having its own police department may be nearing an end.  Same with fire departments and emergency medical services.  

Thinking the same applied in Vincint, have to deal with a limited tax base (last census placed the population 1,956) to pay for the basics.  The police gave them a  perfectly good excuse to get rid of the department.

• Like 1

yeah...THEIR people.

That post absolutely makes no sense. Vincent is located in Shelby County which  is very conservative.  In Shelby County, AL  28.9% of the people voted Democrat in the last presidential election, 69.3% Republican, 1.7%  Independent.

This has nothing to do with politics, but economics. My area have to deal with the same issues. Is you solution to raise local taxes to pay for a minimal police department by the way is voted on in local elections?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe they could hark back to the old days and have a county sheriff installed in the small town paid by the county's coffer, not a town expense.  You know, like Andy and Barney.  ;) 

Whitefang

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Maybe they could hark back to the old days and have a county sheriff installed in the small town paid by the county's coffer, not a town expense.  You know, like Andy and Barney.  ;) 

Whitefang

I never really understood the theory behind Andy's role as "county sheriff."  Sometimes he worked for the city mayor and other times he ran for election or Barney did.  But he also performed duties outside the city limits of Mayberry.  Good show, but I think the writers and producers totally screwed up the basics of law enforcement organizations in US.

But I have thought that the small towns close to each other in a county could join together and have a precinct in each town, but only one police chief and "administration."  Or the sheriff's dept. could station deputies in the small towns. 

Too many small towns have high percentage of police dept. in "administration."

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I never really understood the theory behind Andy's role as "county sheriff."  Sometimes he worked for the city mayor and other times he ran for election or Barney did.  But he also performed duties outside the city limits of Mayberry.  Good show, but I think the writers and producers totally screwed up the basics of law enforcement organizations in US.

But I have thought that the small towns close to each other in a county could join together and have a precinct in each town, but only one police chief and "administration."  Or the sheriff's dept. could station deputies in the small towns. 

I've read anecdotes where Andy Griffith himself pointed out the inconsistencies, with a county sheriff reporting to the town mayor as being unrealistic.  He tried to get it changed, but for whatever reason, the people running the show kept it.  I suppose a sheriff sounds more countrified than a police officer?  They did drop the mayor after the third season.

In the pilot, I Andy was the mayor, sheriff, JP and editor of the newspaper.

• Like 1

Why is two hicks from Buttfuk, Alabama making edgy jokes to each other news, how does it btfo MM and most importantly will this completely pointless non-issue story ever be topped for the “who in the f- gives a ****???” award? :huh: 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

Why is two hicks from Buttfuk, Alabama making edgy jokes to each other news, how does it btfo MM and most importantly will this completely pointless non-issue story ever be topped for the “who in the f- gives a ****???” award? :huh: 

Google Vincent AL police fired and see how it made the news.

Question was the firing overkill, could they had been suspended for 30 days without pay and force to take sensitivity training along with a public apology  since no slurs or bad derogatory remarks were made?  Again I think economics played a role.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Google Vincent AL police fired and see how it made the news.

Question was the firing overkill, could they had been suspended for 30 days without pay and force to take sensitivity training along with a public apology  since no slurs or bad derogatory remarks were made?  Again I think economics played a role.

Who even cares? It’s two dipsticks from rural Alabama making edgy jokes to each other. Ironically this news story is more irrelevant, stupid and time wasting than anything Movie Madness has ever posted.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

Who even cares? It’s two dipsticks from rural Alabama making edgy jokes to each other. Ironically this news story is more irrelevant, stupid and time wasting than anything Movie Madness has ever posted.

Give it a couple of days. I'm sure he'll post it again, only he'll manage to tie Biden into it somehow.

18 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

Many do because this is an underlying problem of how police views minorities which can translate to abuse. This is why sensitivity training is important. The training usually consists of a seminar in the psychological theory that unconscious stereotypes can lead people to make dangerous snap judgments. For instance, unconscious associations of African Americans with crime might make cops quicker to see them as suspects. In this regard the story is relevant The fired officers should had undergo such training and place on notice...any infractions afterwards could lead to termination of their jobs.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Many do because this is an underlying problem of how police views minorities which can translate to abuse. This is why sensitivity training is important. The training usually consists of a seminar in the psychological theory that unconscious stereotypes can lead people to make dangerous snap judgments. For instance, unconscious associations of African Americans with crime might make cops quicker to see them as suspects. In this regard the story is relevant The fired officers should had undergo such training and place on notice...any infractions afterwards could lead to termination of their jobs.

Obviously I understand that but what happens in a no name town in Alabama has no bearing on  99.9% of people and that irrelevance is amplified over the fact it was two hicks making a dumb joke. The news article could have been retitled “Cletus makes racist joke to Cletus” and you would see how completely irrelevant it is. This whole issue is a small town problem that should have stayed local. People across the country shouldn’t act like they are on their toes how the town responds to two dumb **** making a joke to each other in text. That is what modern media has become.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sukhov said:

NEWSFLASH!...

Ernest T. Bass just accosted local teacher Helen Crump in the vicinity of the Robert E. Lee natural bridge.

The Andy Griffith Show 5x04 The Education of Ernest T. Bass - ShareTV

Real life rock-throwing 'Ernest T. Bass' being more than mischievous in  town that inspired Mayberry | FOX8 WGHP

16 hours ago, ElCid said:

I never understood why Dodge City had a U.S.  marshal - Matt Dillon - rather than an elected sheriff when Kansas was already a state rather than a territory. 

Wyatt Earp was a US Marshall and Sheriff was Johnny Behan in Tombstone, AZ, but Arizona was still a Territory. 

From  their page - the United States Marshals would define, administer, and enforce the growing body of federal laws. 

Matt Dillon is a fictional character.

This is a movie message board. We are largely discussing fictional characters. Are you a fictional character? It would explain a great deal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I never understood why Dodge City had a U.S.  marshal - Matt Dillon - rather than an elected sheriff when Kansas was already a state rather than a territory. 

The character Matt Dillon is fiction, much of the series had many flaws like the hilarious narrow street (no way cattle could had been driven through it) and the opening "walk down". During the time period Charlie Bassett was the sheriff of Ford county Kansas and city marshal for Dodge City.  His deputies included Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson. Bassett was also the founder of the Long Branch Saloon. James Masterson succeeded Bassett in 1879.

Charlie_Bassett,_1883.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, hamradio said:

The character Matt Dillon is fiction, much of the series had many flaws like the hilarious narrow street (no way cattle could had been driven through it) and the opening "walk down". During the time period Charlie Bassett was the sheriff of Ford county Kansas and city marshal for Dodge City.  His deputies included Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson. Bassett was also the founder of the Long Branch Saloon. James Masterson succeeded Bassett in 1879.

Charlie_Bassett,_1883.jpg

I've been rewatching the series Gunsmoke, starting from the beginning, and I run across all kinds of charming anachronisms and logical problems with it, which was made when nobody could foresee reruns or the digital preservation of the series. 

For example, in the first season there's an episode entitled "Reunion 78". It's a tale of potential revenge of a man against one of Quantrill's Raiders. Except the characters say that the raid occurred ten years before in 1863. And the episode title says that it is 1878. And the prologue shows Matt Dillon walking around in a cemetery with headstones that have a date of death of 1883. So what year is it? Beats me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2