Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The 60th Anniversary screening of the Old, Original 1961 film version of West Side Story:

miki

I know I'm rather late in posting this, but late this past fall, on Sunday, November 28th, 2021, and on Wednesday, December 1st, 2021, I had the great, good fortune of seeing the 60th Anniversary screening of the old, original 1961 film version of West Side Story on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre with the lights down low.   Given my devotion to the old, original 1961 film version of WSS, I attended both evening screenings, in  a movie theatre here in Boston, MA, both with friends, and solo.  

The film had been restored to its former color and glory, and was absolutely stellar, with no scratches or any other flaws on it.  The soundtrack was pristine, with no flaws in it, either.   All the characters, from the warring Jets and Sharks to the romancing Tony and Maria, seemed to move more freely and fluidly, in a wide open space, the scenery more expansive, and the intensely brilliant Bernstein musical score seemed even more intense and brilliant.  The original 1961 film version of West Side Story played on the above-mentioned two dates last fall, courtesy of fathom events.com and Turner classic movies.  

All of the characters seemed more vital and alive on the great  b ig, wide movie theatre screen, and one could see all of everything, in the scenery.   The MGM adage  "Unlike other classics, West Side Story grows younger", which clearly applies to the old, original 1961 film version of West Side Story rings so true!

8 hours ago, miki said:

I know I'm rather late in posting this, but late this past fall, on Sunday, November 28th, 2021, and on Wednesday, December 1st, 2021, I had the great, good fortune of seeing the 60th Anniversary screening of the old, original 1961 film version of West Side Story on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre with the lights down low.   Given my devotion to the old, original 1961 film version of WSS, I attended both evening screenings, in  a movie theatre here in Boston, MA, both with friends, and solo.  

The film had been restored to its former color and glory, and was absolutely stellar, with no scratches or any other flaws on it.  The soundtrack was pristine, with no flaws in it, either.   All the characters, from the warring Jets and Sharks to the romancing Tony and Maria, seemed to move more freely and fluidly, in a wide open space, the scenery more expansive, and the intensely brilliant Bernstein musical score seemed even more intense and brilliant.  The original 1961 film version of West Side Story played on the above-mentioned two dates last fall, courtesy of fathom events.com and Turner classic movies.  

All of the characters seemed more vital and alive on the great  b ig, wide movie theatre screen, and one could see all of everything, in the scenery.   The MGM adage  "Unlike other classics, West Side Story grows younger", which clearly applies to the old, original 1961 film version of West Side Story rings so true!

Glad to hear you were able to see a film you love so much on the big screen.     The experience is so rewarding.   

Curious what row you were in.   The reason I ask is that while I try to get a middle-row \ middle-seat,     I have sat in the first row \ middle-seat.

Doing that makes one feel they are in-the-movie.   It is a very unique experience.     But if you ever do this,  don't attempt to drive home until your eyes adjust which can take some time!