Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So movies from the 80s are "classic" movies now

rover27

1 hour ago, rover27 said:

Wow! And WT?? Good job, TCM. And what's with the huge amount of programming about blacks in movies lately? Seems to have been months of this stuff. Enough!

August is dedicated to Summer Under the Stars.  Good news, you've safely escaped Sidney Poitier day which was on August 3rd.   Watch out for August 19th, lots of them-there foreign movies for Toshiro Mifune.  

Today is Maureen O'Sullivan day which features twelve movies from the 1930's, one from the 1940's, one from the 1960's and Hannah and Her Sisters from, gasp!, 1986.   Hannah was made 36years ago.  It would be like if TCM showed a movie from 1958 when it started back in 1994.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Most films made in the 70s and 80s, even through the first half of the 90s have different pacing, more similar to classic era films, than films made since then. Plus, most of them have filed off of other TV channels with rare exceptions. While I wouldn't necessary call the period classic (although it is entertaining), the films need to find a home somewhere.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hellzapoppin said:

August is dedicated to Summer Under the Stars.  Good news, you've safely escaped Sidney Poitier day which was on August 3rd.   Watch out for August 19th, lots of them-there foreign movies for Toshiro Mifune.  

Today is Maureen O'Sullivan day which features twelve movies from the 1930's, one from the 1940's, one from the 1960's and Hannah and Her Sisters from, gasp!, 1985.   Hannah was made 37years ago.  It would be like if TCM showed a movie from 1957 when it started back in 1994.  

Hannah was definitely filmed in 1984, maybe even early 1985 (Lloyd Nolan plays Maureen's husband and he passed in September of 1985, before the film was released, or even before his last TV guest appearance had aired), but it wasn't released until February of 1986, which is an awfully strange month to release a praised film, although it was the third in a run of four Woody Allen films that opened in the dead cold of the first two months of the year. O'Sullivan also had another small cameo in 1986; as Kathleen Turner's grandmother in Peggy Sue Got Married.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Hannah was definitely filmed in 1984, maybe even early 1985 (Lloyd Nolan plays Maureen's husband and he passed in September of 1985, before the film was released, or even before his last TV guest appearance had aired), but it wasn't released until February of 1986, which is an awfully strange month to release a praised film, although it was the third in a run of four Woody Allen films that opened in the dead cold of the first two months of the year. O'Sullivan also had another small cameo in 1986; as Kathleen Turner's grandmother in Peggy Sue Got Married.

I stand corrected! HaHS is from 1986.  So, 36 years old.  I'll edit my above rant. :)

Yeah, I wasn’t super interested in that programming theme either since they have already done it multiple times already but I enjoyed the Bill Paxton movie where he’s a racist cop going after the black woman. That was heart breaking.

21 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Most films made in the 70s and 80s, even through the first half of the 90s have different pacing, more similar to classic era films, than films made since then. Plus, most of them have filed off of other TV channels with rare exceptions. While I wouldn't necessary call the period classic (although it is entertaining), the films need to find a home somewhere.

???

So,  what "classic era"( when was that, incidentally?)  movies are similar to 

THE BREAKFAST CLUB

RETURN OF THE JEDI

DIE HARD

FOOTLOOSE

DIRTY DANCING

or ROBOCOP?

Sepiatone

I guess 'ROVER' isn't keen on TCM showing too many movies featuring members of the black community in starring roles. 

I think TCM should air I'M GONNA GET YOU SUCKA!  -- remember the recently-deceased CLU GULAGER had a part in that film as a detective who mentions the reason for the victim's death was an 'OVERGOLD' (an overdose of gold chains!). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

???

So,  what "classic era"( when was that, incidentally?)  movies are similar to 

THE BREAKFAST CLUB

RETURN OF THE JEDI

DIE HARD

FOOTLOOSE

DIRTY DANCING

or ROBOCOP?

Sepiatone

He's probably referring to the big dramas of the period, which rarely get made these days, like Amadeus, Gandhi, and all the Merchant-Ivory titles

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

He's probably referring to the big dramas of the period, which rarely get made these days, like Amadeus, Gandhi, and all the Merchant-Ivory titles

And the days when you could actually make mainstream genre movies like Die Hard, Dirty Dancing and Robocop.  All of which the studio thought would flop.

There are quite a few 30's movies that Darryl Zanuck and LB Mayer thought would flop, but were recognized as classic FORTY YEARS LATER in the 70's.  

(When the second draft of the AFI 100 put "Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Sixth Sense" on their revised list of Great American Movies for future film-history posterity, I offered no argument whatsoever.  👍 )

As for "What movies are similar to Die Hard?", er, what battle-scarred 90's-movie veteran wants to tell him?...

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 10:43 AM, rover27 said:

Wow! And WT?? Good job, TCM. And what's with the huge amount of programming about blacks in movies lately? Seems to have been months of this stuff. Enough!

That's a strange question. Most people on this board enjoy blacks and whites films. 😜

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 10:43 AM, rover27 said:

On 8/9/2022 at 6:34 PM, GGGGerald said:

That's a strange question. Most people on this board enjoy blacks and whites films. 😜

Well Gerald, it appears Rover here probably DOES enjoy "blacks and whites" films, alright.

BUT, apparently ONLY the ones that were made back in an era when there was a lot less blacks in 'em!  ;) 

YOU know, like the movies where, say, Willie Best and Stepin Fetchit only had small roles in 'em?!  LOL

(...btw, I was wonderin' when somebody was gonna pick up on this and comment upon it)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

SO MOVIES FROM THE 80S ARE "CLASSIC" MOVIES NOW

Only this one:

MV5BMTg1OWZiYmEtMmZmNS00OTFkLTkzNDEtMTA5

MV5BOWYwOTNlYjgtMzFkNC00Y2ZjLTgxNzctYjRk

Hmmmm...so decided not to go with THIS one this time, eh Lawrence?!...

s-l500.jpg

;)

• Like 1

The Leonard Maltin Guide review of THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE (1987) was hilarious.  Got a 'BOMB' as you might expect.  The director was ROD AMATEAU.  He died in 2003.  ROD directed several movies, but I don't remember any of them getting a good review.  He directed the 1972 Peter Sellers comedy WHERE DOES IT HURT?,  among others.

I remember HOWARD THE DUCK (1986)!  Didn't get a lot of love from the critics . . . 🤪

• Like 1

Speaking of the 1980s, I wish TCM would show Reds (1981) and actually explicitly mention who all the witnesses are. I mean identify names to the faces. I know many of them, but not all. I have the DVD --it's one of my top ten films, but the DVD does not identify them.

Reds_Witnesses.jpg

Of course I know these two girls: Dora Russell and Rebecca West. 

On 8/9/2022 at 10:58 PM, Swithin said:

Speaking of the 1980s, I wish TCM would show Reds (1981) and actually explicitly mention who all the witnesses are. I mean identify names to the faces. I know many of them, but not all. I have the DVD --it's one of my top ten films, but the DVD does not identify them.

Reds_Witnesses.jpg

Of course I know these two girls: Dora Russell and Rebecca West. 

Yeah.  The only one I really recognized was Georgie Jessel.

On 8/9/2022 at 10:11 PM, Dargo said:

Hmmmm...so decided not to go with THIS one this time, eh Lawrence?!...

s-l500.jpg

;)

Then there's THIS "classic" :rolleyes:

tFrYCTmdl11c0nptSHUJWZnJJPx.jpg

;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 2:18 PM, txfilmfan said:

Yes, plus also some of the mid-size adult comedies of the period could apply too, films like Tootsie, Moonstruck, Broadcast News, Working Girl etc....

• Like 1