Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Olivia Newton-John dies.

At least I managed to get my Xanadu CD cover autographed (by mail) before the end.  😢

And despite some on-and-off health problems, and a nature cable show in the 00's, she still looked good in the 21st cty.:

Screen-Shot-2022-08-08-at-3.34.01-PM.png

(But with Gene Kelly and Olivia gone, now I'll NEVER find out what was in that original 2-hr. preview cut of Xanadu, that was disjointedly chopped down to 90 minutes for release...)

• Like 1

Oh no.  I’m so sorry to hear that.  She was just a really wonderful and amazing singe and actress.  Especially in Grease too ha?  Oh man.  We will all just really miss her so much and we will just really always love her so much.  She will definitely really be missed so much and she will really always forever be known for and remembered as Sandy in Grease and in all kinds of her movie roles and her music.  She did a movie on the Disney channel too.  But I think I kind of forget what it’s called.  RIP Olivia Newton John.  Thank you so much for bringing us all your movie roles and your music.  You will always forever be known for and remembered as Sandy in Grease and for all kinds of your movie roles and your music.  We will all really miss you so much and we will all really always love you so much.

Thank you so much.

Your friend and fan

David

• Like 2

When I was a kid, I really wanted to take singing lessons. My parents bought me Olivia Newton-John's mid- 1970's  records and told me to sing along with the songs instead. They soon regretted that decision, as I wore those records out and sang those songs even when I wasn't playing the records!

She was so cute dancing with Gene Kelly in Xanadu. What a lovely lady.

~RIP, Ms Newton-John.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Olivia Newton-John won three Grammys as a country artist in the 1970s after she established herself in America. But her transition to pop sensation in the early 1980s with "Physical" was phenomenal.

The 1981 song, written by Terry Shaddick and  Steve Kipner, was the No. 1 song on Billboard's pop chart for 10 consecutive weeks. It went on to become the most successful single of the 1980s.

Newton-John also won her fourth Grammy for the 1982 video version of  the "Physical" LP,  which was edited and aired on NBC as a prime-time special.

• Thanks 5

my personal deja vu experience with the passing of this sweet woman...

about maybe 90 minutes ago as of this typing I was listening to a music CD in my 300-watt LG unit and on this particular disc were my two favorite Olivia Newton-John songs If Not For You and The Biggest Clown. it wasn't that she was so gifted with this sweet angelic voice but she knew how to sing. she was pretty, perky with a truly sweet disposition and all the men wanted her because of her sweetness. she had that jane pauley effect on guys. 

she was a sweet beautiful lady and she will be missed by the world. she had the voice of an angel.

Olivia Newton-John, "Grease" star and Grammy-winning singer, dies at 73 -  CBS News

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Olivia Newton-John won three Grammys as a country artist in the 1970s after she established herself in America. But her transition to pop sensation in the early 1980s with "Physical" was phenomenal.

The 1981 song, written by Terry Shaddick and  Steve Kipner, was the No. 1 song on Billboard's pop chart for 10 consecutive weeks. It went on to become the most successful single of the 1980s.

Newton-John also won her fourth Grammy for the video version of  the "Physical" LP, which aired on NBC as a primetime special.

Olivia was a beautiful light of music which briefly visited us, but left the impact of her voice with us forever. It's getting more and more rare to find a successful singing talent who is also kind, humble and professional.

Olivia made our lives a little happier for a brief period of time, but we're grateful for the time she spent with us.

A Hopelessly Devoted Fan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is the kind of day where you say that although you didn't particularly care for her music and did not have that high an opinion of Grease, you admired her energy and enthusiasm and thought she was one of the best actresses of 1978. 

Except she actually came on 7th on my list.

Although I was not a fan of her movies or music, how could you not admire her for her talent? She had a gorgeous singing voice,  beauty, professionalism & showmanship.  Most of all, she maintained dignity & class throughout her career.

I had felt terrible learning of her long battle with cancer, but watching shows about her made me realize in retrospect what a talent she was. My laptop is boosted up on the 2019 Book of Julien's Auction of her personal effects.  Many of her film & stage costumes were offered, which tells me she had great  respect & sentiment for her work.

Really, there seem to be fewer & fewer talented stars like Olivia Newton John anymore. The world was made brighter by her in it. Rest In Peace.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

Although I was not a fan of her movies or music, how could you not admire her for her talent? She had a gorgeous singing voice,  beauty, professionalism & showmanship.  Most of all, she maintained dignity & class throughout her career.

I had felt terrible learning of her long battle with cancer, but watching shows about her made me realize in retrospect what a talent she was. My laptop is boosted up on the 2019 Book of Julien's Auction of her personal effects.  Many of her film & stage costumes were offered, which tells me she had great  respect & sentiment for her work.

Really, there seem to be fewer & fewer talented stars like Olivia Newton John anymore. The world was made brighter by her in it. Rest In Peace.

Stated Exquisitely, imho.

On 8/8/2022 at 7:02 PM, EricJ said:

And even her unquestionably worst movie (Two of a Kind, 1983) could produce one of her pop hits, from songwriter-husband at the time:

Are you sure about that? She apparently married only three times -- once to a guy who notoriously faked his death. But I don't believe any of her husbands were songwriters.

Just want to say here that like Tiki, I wasn't that big a fan of Olivia's music, either.

However, there IS this one big hit of hers here that I would always turn up the volume on whenever it came on the radio. Always thought of it as being, I guess you could say, "hauntingly lovely"...

• Thanks 2

here's why they are not. she sang like an angel and had a very sweet feminine disposition so the left wing media saw her as a good girl which they secretly hate and have contempt for...

if Barbra Streisand had croaked they would be encouraging everyone to hold wakes until the cows came home. well that is my opinion.

John Travolta reacts to 'Grease' co-star Olivia Newton-John's death: 'Your  impact was incredible' | GMA

• Confused 1

You should never embarrass anyone by trying to compare them to Barbra Streisand , a superstar actress, filmmaker, recording artist, political activist and philanthopist. 

Related image
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

here's why they are not. she sang like an angel and had a very sweet feminine disposition so the left wing media saw her as a good girl which they secretly hate and have contempt for...

So are you implying that if I turn on Fox News right now I'll see THEM still shedding tears over he loss of Olivia?   

I'd be surprised if they mentioned her passing at all since it couldn't be blamed on Biden or make Biden look bad in any way.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

So are you implying that if I turn on Fox News right now I'll see THEM still shedding tears over he loss of Olivia?   

Nope, but I THINK every time I've channel-surfed past Newsmax recently, I think I've seen Olivia's visage flash across my TV screen for that one split-second anyway, Sepia!  ;) 

(...but then again, I HAVE noticed my eyes playin' a lot of tricks on me lately too)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

I read that some theater chains across the country will be showing Grease back on the big screen in her honor. I thought that was a nice tribute.

Maybe there's a theater near you doing the same.  

• Like 1