Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Historian David McCullough (1933-2022)

jakeem

David McCullough, the award-winning historian whose best-selling books inspired film and television productions, died Sunday. He was 89.

His publisher, Simon & Schuster, said McCullough died in Hingham, Massachusetts, almost two months after his wife Rosalee. She died on June 9, 2022 after 68 years of marriage and five children.

The cause of his death was not disclosed.

“David McCullough was a national treasure," Simon & Schuster CEO Jonathan Karp said in a statement. "His books brought history to life for millions of readers. Through his biographies, he dramatically illustrated the most ennobling parts of the American character." 

See the source image

McCullough was the narrator for Ken Burns' highly-praised documentary "The Civil War," which originally aired on PBS stations from September 23-27, 1990. But the historian turned down a chance to collaborate on Burns' 1994 project "Baseball." That documentary was narrated by a McCullough soundalike, the former NBC Nightly News anchor John Chancellor.

McCullough won the 1993 Pulitzer Prize for his biography "Truman," which helped restore luster to the legacy of the 33rd United States president. In 1995, Gary Sinise portrayed the plain-speaking political figure in "Truman," an HBO production that was nominated for eight Primetime Emmy Awards. Directed by Frank Pierson, the production won for Outstanding Made for Television Movie (Paula Weinstein, Anthea Sylbert and Doro Bachrach) and Outstanding Casting for a Miniseries, Movie, or a Special (Mary Colquhoun).

McCullough served as the  narrator of "Seabiscuit," the 2003 film based on Laura Hillenbrand's  1999 non-fiction book "Seabiscuit: An American Legend." Directed by Gary Ross, who also adapted the screenplay, the movie starred Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges, Elizabeth Banks and Chris Cooper.

In 2002, McCullough earned a second Pulitzer Prize for "John Adams," the biography of one of America's  original Founding Fathers and George Washington's vice president. Adams became the second U.S. president and served from 1797 to 1801. In 2008, Tom Hanks' Playtone production company transformed the book into a seven-part HBO miniseries that featured a stirring opening titles sequence.

"John Adams" received 13 Primetime Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Miniseries and Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie for Paul Giamatti. Laura Linney, who appeared as Adams' wife and sometime correspondent Abigail, earned the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie. 

In 2006, President George W. Bush presented McCullough with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, one of the nation's highest civilian honors.

See the source image

Sed4NQR9_bigger.jpg

It is impossible to conceive that David McCullough is no longer with us. He is among our greatest historians, writing with an almost magical command of language and story. He was also a gifted teacher who taught me about history and writing, and allowed me to escape my many limitations in those areas. I'll forever cherish the time we spent together, and I'll miss my friend dearly.

A generous man who chose to believe the best about America, and about Americans. May light perpetual shine upon him.

I hope that the great David McCullough is right now chatting and laughing with T.R., Truman and John Adams.

• Thanks 7

• jakeem changed the title to Historian David McCullough (1933-2022)

Dam. I'm still misty over Olivia and now this. 

There was always a reassuring tone in David's voice when he narrated. I always felt like I was in trustworthy hands.

At least he had a long run, and he left quite a legacy. 

• Like 6

McCullough wrote many American historical books over the years and was also a narrator, popular historian and lecturer. He was a two-time Pulitzer Prize winner as well as winning the National Book Award and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Thanks to him we now have a better understanding of John Adams and the Revolutionary War.

John_Adams_TV_Miniseries-506515840-mmed.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I feel lucky to have seen Mr. McCullough give a talk on Harry Truman back in 1992 at a Smithsonian event (one of the benefits of living in the DC area).  

He sounded just like he did when hosting great shows like American Experience, and he highlighted some of the interesting stories about the 33rd president from his then-new book, Truman.  The talk was held in the auditorium at the National Museum of Natural History, and afterward, he went up to the rotunda of the building and signed books for audience members who included politicians  (among others, Senator Alan Simpson was chatting with other folks in line) and non-politicians like me.  I liked Truman very much and really should read some of his other books.  (I have a copy of Mornings on Horseback waiting on my shelf.)

I’m glad Mr. McCullough had a long life and was well-rewarded for his hard work.  He had a real talent for helping people learn about American history.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BingFan said:

I feel lucky to have seen Mr. McCullough give a talk on Harry Truman back in 1992 at a Smithsonian event (one of the benefits of living in the DC area).  

He sounded just like he did when hosting great shows like American Experience, and he highlighted some of the interesting stories about the 33rd president from his then-new book, Truman.  The talk was held in the auditorium at the National Museum of Natural History, and afterward, he went up to the rotunda of the building and signed books for audience members who included politicians  (among others, Senator Alan Simpson was chatting with other folks in line) and non-politicians like me.  I liked Truman very much and really should read some of his other books.  (I have a copy of Mornings on Horseback waiting on my shelf.)

I’m glad Mr. McCullough had a long life and was well-rewarded for his hard work.  He had a real talent for helping people learn about American history.

I need to pick up a copy of McCullough's 2005 best-selling book "1776," which focuses on the early stages of the American Revolution. Ken Burns is planning a documentary about the war, so it might be a good idea to read McCullough's work first.

51Z7oOtyBmL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg

• Like 2