Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name this movie, please!

KIF

I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.

There is a movie about a widow with a young daughter who marries a widower. The little girl doesn't have any friends. Her mother and stepfather even try to have a birthday party for her, but not a single person comes.

One day, she meets a beautiful woman - sort of ethereal, flowy dress, etc. - in her backyard who says she is her friend. They play together every day, and there is a noticeable change in the child's happiness. There is at least one scene where they're playing in the snow. She talks to her parents about having a friend, which pleases them. Then when she starts describing the friend, they realize it can't be real and she gets in trouble for making up stories (lying) again. Apparently, lying had been an ongoing problem. There is a discussion between the parents about imaginary friends, but the step-father isn't buying it and is really annoyed with the kid.

The daughter finds a picture in a drawer one day and says something about how that's her friend that she's been talking about.  The picture is of the step-father's late (and first) wife. I think some other info about the woman comes out from the little girl that she would have had no way of knowing.

Things start to get better in the family, and eventually the "friend" says she isn't needed anymore, but tells the little girl she'll always be her friend in her heart (or something along those lines.)

I don't remember any of the actors in it or any part of the title.  I believe it was in black and white. My family can't figure it out and I had no luck searching online. I'm counting on the TCM community to allow me to sleep at night!

39 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Sounds like The Curse of the Cat People (1944)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curse_of_the_Cat_People

Wow. I think you're right. I was reading the plot and realized I had somehow separated those into two movies - one about the girl and the late wife, and a different one about the girl and the woman down the street with the crazy daughter.

In fact, that movie came up when I was searching, but I dismissed it because there was nothing about cat people in it. Argh. I should have read about it anyway, just in case.

Thank you so much for your help! I'll rest easy tonight!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KIF said:

Wow. I think you're right. I was reading the plot and realized I had somehow separated those into two movies - one about the girl and the late wife, and a different one about the girl and the woman down the street with the crazy daughter.

In fact, that movie came up when I was searching, but I dismissed it because there was nothing about cat people in it. Argh. I should have read about it anyway, just in case.

Thank you so much for your help! I'll rest easy tonight!

Note that Curse of the Cat People is a follow-up to Cat People.   The man (Kent Smith),  is a widower but not the woman.   That women (actress Jane Randolph),   was the man's co-worker in the original Cat People.     They end up together at the end of Cat People,  and are now married with a daughter in the follow-up,  Curse of the Cat People.

The ghost lady is the original cat-person in Cat People,  French actress Simone Simon.

(those 3 actors were the only ones that were in both films,  playing the same characters).

Elizabeth Russell was in both films but she played two different characters. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Sublime.

Perfect. ❤️ Thank you.

It's interesting how subtle Simone Simon's accent is when she speaks English.

11 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I think that LawrenceA and JamesJazGuitar nailed it.

But to confirm the flick for yourself . . .

The Curse of the Cat People

The Curse of the Cat People (Aspect ratio seems off to me)

The Curse of the Cat People (High quality!)

The Curse of the Cat People  (High quality!)

Oh wow! I've never heard of this website! Am I missing the catch, or can I really watch movies there for free?

13 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Note that Curse of the Cat People is a follow-up to Cat People.   The man (Kent Smith),  is a widower but not the woman.   That women (actress Jane Randolph),   was the man's co-worker in the original Cat People.     They end up together at the end of Cat People,  and are now married with a daughter in the follow-up,  Curse of the Cat People.

The ghost lady is the original cat-person in Cat People,  French actress Simone Simon.

(those 3 actors were the only ones that were in both films,  playing the same characters).

Elizabeth Russell was in both films but she played two different characters. 

Thanks! I realized my errors in memory when I was reading various versions of the synopsis. I'm still surprised I had separated one movie into two in my mind. Strange how memories work... It might help if TCM wasn't the only channel I watch, but I'm not planning on changing that! Haha!