Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sunset Boulevard

1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

Isn’t Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Broadway musical Sunset Boulevard based on this movie?

Correct.    Note that the film version of Sunset Boulevard is fairly unique in that there was no original source material (e.g.  novel,  short story,  or play).

The plot and associated screenplay was written by Billy Wider (who also directed the film),  Charles Bracket,  and D.M.  Marshman Jr.

I saw the Webber Broadway production in Los Angeles which featured Glenn Close.      It was nice to see an actor with her talent live on stage.

(I also saw Katherine Hepburn in L.A.  doing a play and that was a very moving experience,  I was only 20 at the time).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I saw the Webber Broadway production in Los Angeles which featured Glenn Close.      It was nice to see an actor with her talent live on stage.

How wonderful that must have been. Was Michael Ball playing the role of Joe Gillis? I just adore his voice.

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

How wonderful that must have been. Was Michael Ball playing the role of Joe Gillis? I just adore his voice.

Funny you should ask who was Joe Gillis because when I wrote that I realized I forgot and said to myself "oh,,, what am I going to do if someone asks me!".

If Ball was part of the touring company when the Broadway production went on their tour back then,  that is who I must have seen.

• Thanks 1

What stage play did you see Hepburn in?  Is there anywhere that the general public can actually view recorded stage plays from decades ago?  It would be incredible to watch Hepburn, Bogie, and others perform on the stage in which they honed their craft.

4 hours ago, CineClassics said:

What stage play did you see Hepburn in?  Is there anywhere that the general public can actually view recorded stage plays from decades ago?  It would be incredible to watch Hepburn, Bogie, and others perform on the stage in which they honed their craft.

It was The West Side Waltz in 1982.     I had only been into studio-era films for a few years but since I started off mostly with Bogart I had seen The African Queen and that lead me to other Hepburn films.      It was a great experience.   After the show was over Kate came out and talked;  She said that there were rumors that she didn't like Los Angeles and Hollywood but she said that wasn't the case.  That she loved her time in the area,  the people,  the experiences.      We loved her back! 

• Like 2