Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don Lemon, unwitting GOP operative

so here's Chris Licht current president and CEO of CNN who has finally decided to react to CNN's ratings plunge by wanting his network's political commentators like Don Lemon to start pulling CNN back towards the center...

and Lemon is refusing to comply.

:lol:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11096379/Don-Lemon-denies-narrative-new-CNN-boss-Chris-Licht-wants-network-drop-woke-reporting.html

9 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

so here's Chris Licht current president and CEO of CNN who has finally decided to react to CNN's ratings plunge by wanting his network's political commentators like Don Lemon to start pulling CNN back towards the center...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11096379/Don-Lemon-denies-narrative-new-CNN-boss-Chris-Licht-wants-network-drop-woke-reporting.html

Of course Lemon is refusing to comply.    Hopefully Licht sees the light and fires Lemon.       

Note that this was a topic on NewsNation by Dan Abrams a few weeks back.    Licht was clearly hired to bring CNN back to the "center" and while most in the industry believe he is sincere in this regard the only way to do that would be to dismiss those host that continue to wish to make CNN more like MSNBC.

I'd rather see someone like Don Lemon who is sincere in his political opinions than a snake like Tucker Carlson who spews pro Trump rhetoric but, according to some sources, is derogatory of him behind his back.

7 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Don has character and he's😍 cute!😲

Faux News is rated  number one and  that isn't because  people go there to get objective news. I  think viewers  expect the  prime time

shows to have  a healthy dose  of opinion. I doubt replacing D. Lemon with a less  opinionated  anchor would  boost ratings any.  Laura

Coates  is taking over Lemon's  spot while he is away on vacation I think. She's  just as  opinionated  as he is. Lemon's  biggest target

is con man Trump. Yeah,  that's controversial.   

31 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Faux News is rated  number one and  that isn't because  people go there to get objective news. I  think viewers  expect the  prime time

shows to have  a healthy dose  of opinion. I doubt replacing D. Lemon with a less  opinionated  anchor would  boost ratings any.  Laura

Coates  is taking over Lemon's  spot while he is away on vacation I think. She's  just as  opinionated  as he is. Lemon's  biggest target

is con man Trump. Yeah,  that's controversial.   

Of course viewers would not leave CNN for Fox (unless they had gone to the really dark side),  but they may leave CNN and go to the new-kid on the block NewsNation.

Note that Chris Cuomo will be hosting a prime-time show on NewsNation.     Cuomo was one of the more moderates voices at CNN.    

Maybe nothing can help CNN retain viewership but they need to be perceived as not being just another MSNBC;  a highly partisan voice of the left,   in order to even bring over viewer from Fox or MSNBC that are "moderates" or independents and tried of the highly partisan news coverage coming from Fox and MSNBC.

2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Of course viewers would not leave CNN for Fox (unless they had gone to the really dark side),  but they may leave CNN and go to the new-kid on the block NewsNation.

Note that Chris Cuomo will be hosting a prime-time show on NewsNation.     Cuomo was one of the more moderates voices at CNN.    

Maybe nothing can help CNN retain viewership but they need to be perceived as not being just another MSNBC;  a highly partisan voice of the left,   in order to even bring over viewer from Fox or MSNBC that are "moderates" or independents and tried of the highly partisan news coverage coming from Fox and MSNBC.

I saw  an ad  for Cuomo's  new  show, but I didn't pay attention to the details. While Cuomo was  a bit  more moderate than Lemon, he  still got  a

lot of  flak from right  wingers. I don't  know if Fox viewers would want to come to CNN. They like the Fox red meat too much. May be the same

with MSNBC with left wingers. I don't watch MSNBC. CNN may just have to be satisfied with the audience  numbers  they have. The humorous

thing is how miniscule the numbers  are for all these networks.  One million  viewers  would  likely be  considered a  success for CNN.

What exactly is NewsNation? I'm not familiar with it, but, having just read about it in this thread, I've checked my channel lineup and I have it in SD and HD. What are your opinions of it (anyone)?

I'm not a big fan of Chris Cuomo, didn't like his interviewing style. Liked his bro, though.

You know CNN is painted as liberal but maybe they are just more inclined to be anti-wacko politician which the GOP has an abundance of.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Swithin said:

What exactly is NewsNation? I'm not familiar with it, but, having just read about it in this thread, I've checked my channel lineup and I have it in SD and HD. What are your opinions of it (anyone)?

I'm not a big fan of Chris Cuomo, didn't like his interviewing style. Liked his bro, though.

NewsNation is a fairly new (1.5 years old) news channel, owned by Nextstar Media.   They merged with Tribune media (Chicago Tribune, WGN, etc.)

NewsNation used to be WGN America, which used to be Superstation WGN.  That's why it's on your cable system.  It's a carryover from when they were WGN.

I tend not to watch televised news these days.  I've watched maybe 3 minutes of NewsNation, so I don't really have an opinion of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

NewsNation is a fairly new (1.5 years old) news channel, owned by Nextstar Media.   They merged with Tribune media (Chicago Tribune, WGN, etc.)

NewsNation used to be WGN America, which used to be Superstation WGN.  That's why it's on your cable system.  It's a carryover from when they were WGN.

I tend not to watch televised news these days.  I've watched maybe 3 minutes of NewsNation, so I don't really have an opinion of it.

So the old WGN ceased to be? Wow, I hadn't realized that. I haven't watched it in many years, as I rarely watch cable TV now, but I used to watch stuff on there all the time 30-40 years ago.

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

I'm watching NewsNation as my primary T.V. News now,  especially the Don Abrams show.      (6:00 PT and again at 9:00 PT).    

It's says they are trying to be the station of the middle \ moderate America.    They are clearly less partisan than either MSNBC (very left leaning),  or CNN (left leaning),  or Fox (very right leaning).       Of course a lot depends on the host;  E.g.   Leland Vittert is trying to be Tucker Carlson:  a very smug clown that says he is "balanced" but is anything but.  When he has left leaning guest he ask loaded questions (as bait) and then mocks his own guest when they don't agree with him.

I really like Abrams.    Of course he is trying to increase ratings by mocking  MSNBC, CNN and Fox:  E.g.  he will show how their talking-heads cover issues.   Abrams his big on the outrage media;  that the purpose of these prime-time shows is to play to their base and increase the outrage.      I find this  to be very true.   

E.g.  with the Trump search:  Fox hosts saying the entire FBI is corrupt,   likely planted evidence etc.....   ALL based on no evidence except the fact a few years back an FBI agent did change a document.    The same goes for MSNBC and CNN is their coverage of the police where they imply most of the police are thugs etc... 

55 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

So the old WGN ceased to be? Wow, I hadn't realized that. I haven't watched it in many years, as I rarely watch cable TV now, but I used to watch stuff on there all the time 30-40 years ago.

The local TV station WGN still exists.  But the old cable station (which separated its programming from the local station many years ago) no longer exists.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Last time I checked NewsNation is not strictly a news station.  They also intersperse other programing throughout the day.  

Haven't really tried them.  I watch MSNBC if I want political, although I don't watch Moanin' Joe and a couple of the others.  But that is less than 30 minutes total out of a whole day.  I will watch CNN more as it still reports non-political news.  It also has a scroll at the bottom which is far more informative of general news than whoever is on screen.

HLN (part of CNN?) is probably the best for general news up until Noon when they broadcast weird programming.

Tend not to watch any "news" shows when they are three or more people on screen.

For real news, I will watch NBC, CBS and ABC at 6:30 and just float between the three. 

29 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Last time I checked NewsNation is not strictly a news station.  They also intersperse other programing throughout the day.  

Haven't really tried them.  I watch MSNBC if I want political, although I don't watch Moanin' Joe and a couple of the others.  But that is less than 30 minutes total out of a whole day.  I will watch CNN more as it still reports non-political news.  It also has a scroll at the bottom which is far more informative of general news than whoever is on screen.

HLN (part of CNN?) is probably the best for general news up until Noon when they broadcast weird programming.

Tend not to watch any "news" shows when they are three or more people on screen.

For real news, I will watch NBC, CBS and ABC at 6:30 and just float between the three. 

I used to watch HLN, or leave it on when possible in the background while doing other things. But when they started changing their format and airing hours of old reality TV stuff, I quit tuning in. 

If a major story breaks, I may tune into CNN, and flip between it and Fox to see the different perspective, but only long enough to get details, and then I turn it off. I loathe all of the opinion shows. I have seen MSNBC in the past, but I rarely if ever see it anymore. I used to occasionally see BBC and CBC news, but not in a while.  My cable carrier has never offered Newsmax or OAN. I think there's another 24/7 news channel that I've seen listed on the onscreen guide, but I can't recall what it's called.

I still see the ABC nightly news on occasion, as my local news is an ABC station, and I'll just leave it on after the local goes off, but the ABC national news has gotten really awful in the past few years. Lots of loaded language, sensationalist presentation, "bad weather of the day" garbage, and always a corny, meaningless human interest bit at the end.

• Like 1

I had forgotten  that NewsNation is what used  to be WGN from Chicago. And they're is still showing reruns  of Blue Bloods in  the  afternoon.

I watched a little bit of it last night, one host talking about  far right Fox and far left CNN. CNN is far left? Hilarious. Then there was  a segment about

the  FBI "raid" on Mar-a-Lago with a chyron about the left defunding  the police. I guess that's the balance, whataboutism  on both  sides. Doesn't

seem  like  much of a promising political brand. 

38 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I had forgotten  that NewsNation is what used  to be WGN from Chicago. And they're is still showing reruns  of Blue Bloods in  the  afternoon.

I watched a little bit of it last night, one host talking about  far right Fox and far left CNN. CNN is far left? Hilarious. Then there was  a segment about

the  FBI "raid" on Mar-a-Lago with a chyron about the left defunding  the police. I guess that's the balance, whataboutism  on both  sides. Doesn't

seem  like  much of a promising political brand. 

CNN is "far left" when the host is Don Lemon or Jim Acosta,   and only left-leaning when Anderson Cooper,  Erin Burnett etc,   and "moderate" with Michael Smerconish.

I believe the segment about police "defunding" you mention was really about the Ilhan Omar and the recent Minnesota Dem Primary for the House where Ilhan Omar won by less by < than 1% over Don Samuels,  a City Council member.      Omar is far-left and for defunding the police.   She has said so over and over  again.    Back in 2020 she won the Dem primary by over 40,000 votes.   This time by < 2,000.        Samuels ran as a moderate that supports police REFORM and doesn't slam the police 24\7 like Omar (who again has openly called for disbanding the entire Minneapolis force,  and NewsNation just showed her saying so).        

Hey,  I know like Omar,  you hate the police but the coverage was accurate.     Omar has loss a lot of her support in her district for her over-the-top,   anti-police rhetoric.    

Both parties have extremist (ok the GOP more so than the Dems),   and all NewsNation was saying is that the highly misguided anti-police movement,  all-police-are-bad etc...  appears to be ending on the left and this Dem primary is good evidence of that (since George Floyd  was killed by Minneapolis police officers).

ALSO;   NewsNation covered the crazies at Fox that are now all anti-FBI and police in general due to January 6th, the Trump search,  and Trump rhetoric. 

I.e. They covered BOTH stories,  the crazies in both parties,  and the outrage media that helps fan the flames. 

CNN is "far left" when the host is Don Lemon or Jim Acosta,   and only left-leaning when Anderson Cooper,  Erin Burnett etc,   and "moderate" with Michael Smerconish.

I believe the segment about police "defunding" you mention was really about the Ilhan Omar and the recent Minnesota Dem Primary for the House where Ilhan Omar won by less by < than 1% over Don Samuels,  a City Council member.      Omar is far-left and for defunding the police.   She has said so over and over  again.    Back in 2020 she won the Dem primary by over 40,000 votes.   This time by < 2,000.        Samuels ran as a moderate that supports police REFORM and doesn't slam the police 24\7 like Omar (who again has openly called for disbanding the entire Minneapolis force,  and NewsNation just showed her saying so).        

Hey,  I know like Omar,  you hate the police but the coverage was accurate.     Omar has loss a lot of her support in her district for her over-the-top,   anti-police rhetoric.    

Both parties have extremist (ok the GOP more so than the Dems),   and all NewsNation was saying is that the highly misguided anti-police movement,  all-police-are-bad etc...  appears to be ending on the left and this Dem primary is good evidence of that (since George Floyd  was killed by Minneapolis police officers).

ALSO;   NewsNation covered the crazies at Fox that are now all anti-FBI and police in general due to January 6th, the Trump search,  and Trump rhetoric. 

I.e. They covered BOTH stories,  the crazies in both parties,  and the outrage media that helps fan the flames. 

I've only seen a few  snatches of Acosta, so I can't  remark  on his show. I do watch D. Lemon on a fairly  regular basis, the  late night rerun of the

prime  time show. I've never thought of him as  far left, just as "regular" left.  Omar  may have been part of it, but I think it was also  a both sides

are bad thing--Trumpists don't support the FBI and (a few) Dems want to defund the police. But in  the middle......who knows. I don't  hate the

police but they do have to be watched. Quite  a few are rude and arrogant at the best and a few  are killers at the  worst. 

18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I've only seen a few  snatches of Acosta, so I can't  remark  on his show. I do watch D. Lemon on a fairly  regular basis, the  late night rerun of the

prime  time show. I've never thought of him as  far left, just as "regular" left.  Omar  may have been part of it, but I think it was also  a both sides

are bad thing--Trumpists don't support the FBI and (a few) Dems want to defund the police. But in  the middle......who knows. I don't  hate the

police but they do have to be watched. Quite  a few are rude and arrogant at the best and a few  are killers at the  worst. 

Note that the talking-heads news related show that featured Omar was Don Abrams NewsNation show.

Of course Lemon wouldn't feature Omar UNLESS it was in a positive light.    That is what makes Lemon "far left" IMO.    (or Tucker far-right);

They only discuss issues that are either negative towards the other side,  or that are positive towards their side.    

E.g.  Lemon would show the Jan 6th videos as much as he could,  but not videos with violence and property destruction from some of the post George Floyd "protest".

Trucker does the exact opposite.      I.e.  they each fan outrage but only in a hyper partisan way.        

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Note that the talking-heads news related show that featured Omar was Don Abrams NewsNation show.

Of course Lemon wouldn't feature Omar UNLESS it was in a positive light.    That is what makes Lemon "far left" IMO.    (or Tucker far-right);

They only discuss issues that are either negative towards the other side,  or that are positive towards their side.    

E.g.  Lemon would show the Jan 6th videos as much as he could,  but not videos with violence and property destruction from some of the post George Floyd "protest".

Trucker does the exact opposite.      I.e.  they each fan outrage but only in a hyper partisan way.        

Abrams also appears occasionally on the ABC News with David Muir as  a legal consultant. He's  been on the last  few nights with the

whole FBI raid story  in  the news. I don't think Lemon himself has called for  defunding  the police or  agrees  with that policy, and he's

not responsible for the views of his guests. The 1/6 story was more recent than the summer of 2020 and most of the George Floyd

protests were peaceful. If  folks broke the law during those protest let them be arrested and  charged.  And  as bad as some of  those

acts  were they weren't an attempt, however amateurish, to overturn an election.  

15 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Abrams also appears occasionally on the ABC News with David Muir as  a legal consultant. He's  been on the last  few nights with the

whole FBI raid story  in  the news. I don't think Lemon himself has called for  defunding  the police or  agrees  with that policy, and he's

not responsible for the views of his guests. The 1/6 story was more recent than the summer of 2020 and most of the George Floyd

protests were peaceful. If  folks broke the law during those protest let them be arrested and  charged.  And  as bad as some of  those

acts  were they weren't an attempt, however amateurish, to overturn an election.  

You still don't understand what I'm getting at.   The point was that talking-heads like Lemon and Carlson  are cut from the same cloth.   Both overplay outrage that suits their political POV and vastly underplay those topics that don't.       I wasn't comparing the two actual events (DUH that 1\6 was much more serious!!!!). 

I only mentioned them as it relates to how Lemon and Carlson covered around the time they occurred.     Take you're comment of  "If  folks broke the law during those protest let them be arrested and  charged":   I don't recall ever hearing Lemon say that about the GF protesters,  or Carlson saying that about the 1\6 "protesters" (more like traitors IMO).

AGAIN:  I'm not making any equivalency between these two events (that would be insane),   but only about how various media talking-heads cover them.  

4 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

You still don't understand what I'm getting at.   The point was that talking-heads like Lemon and Carlson  are cut from the same cloth.   Both overplay outrage that suits their political POV and vastly underplay those topics that don't.       I wasn't comparing the two actual events (DUH that 1\6 was much more serious!!!!). 

I only mentioned them as it relates to how Lemon and Carlson covered around the time they occurred.     Take you're comment of  "If  folks broke the law during those protest let them be arrested and  charged":   I don't recall ever hearing Lemon say that about the GF protesters,  or Carlson saying that about the 1\6 "protesters" (more like traitors IMO).

AGAIN:  I'm not making any equivalency between these two events (that would be insane),   but only about how various media talking-heads cover them.  

Sorry, Tucker is in a whole other league of crazy and kooky that Lemon doesn't come close  to. And  I'm sure Lemon showed videos of the more

violent  actions  following the Michael Brown killing. All the networks showed them I'm sure. And  I  wouldn't be surprised  if he also said  that

peaceful protests are fine but that folks who were breaking the law should  be arrested. 

• Thanks 1