Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Songwriter Lamont Dozier (1941-2022)

jakeem

Lamont Dozier, the Oscar-nominated songwriter who teamed with brothers Eddie and Brian Holland to refine The Motown Sound during the 1960s, has died at the age of 81. His death on Monday was reported on Instagram by his son, Lamont Dozier Jr.

The cause of death was not disclosed.

Holland-Dozier-Holland wrote many hit tunes performed by such stellar artists as Diana Ross and the Supremes, the Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Marvin Gaye, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas and the Isley Brothers.

See the source image

Dozier and the Hollands were joined by Diana Ross when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990 (Eddie Holland is on the far right). The trio was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1988.

Lamont-Dozier-1000x600.jpg

One of the early H-D-H collaborations for Motown was 1963's"Heat Wave," a No. 1 R&B hit and a No. 4 pop chart song for Martha and the Vandellas. In 1975, the song was covered by Linda Ronstadt and peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard pop chart.

William "Smokey" Robinson was a formidable songwriter in his own right. But it was Holland-Dozier-Holland that composed "Mickey's Monkey" for Smokey and the Miracles. The 1963 song went to No. 3 on the R&B chart and No. 8 on the pop chart. 

H-D-H's "Where Did Out Love Go" was a breakthrough hit for the Detroit trio known as The Supremes -- Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard. The 1964 song went to No. 1 on both the pop and R&B charts.

Marvin Gaye's 1964 release "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)" was a No. 6 pop hit that peaked at No. 3 on the R&B chart. It was covered two years later by Motown's Jr. Walker & the All-Stars and in 1975 by James Taylor.

The Four Tops earned No. 1 hits on both charts with the release of "I Can't Help Myself" in 1965.

Holland-Dozier-Holland created 10 No. 1 songs for The Supremes. The 1965 release "My World Is Empty Without You" wasn't one of them. It peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard pop chart.

Holland-Dozier-Holland  and composer Frank DeVol collaborated on a theme song for "The Happening," a 1967 screen drama starring Anthony Quinn as a businessman who turns the tables on his kidnappers by talking control of the ransom plans...

See the source image

...The song -- also called "The Happening" -- was another No. 1 hit for Diana Ross and the Supremes.

Holland-Dozier-Holland's song "You Keep Me Hangin' On" was a No. 1 hit for The Supremes in 1966. A year later, the band Vanilla Fudge covered the song and reached No. 6 on the Billboard chart with a psychedelic version.  

Two decades  later, "You Keep Me Hangin' On" was a No. 1 hit again after the British pop singer Kim Wilde's version was released in 1986. It was at the top of the Billboard pop chart for one week in 1987.

The 1975 coming-of-age film "Cooley High" -- the "American Graffiti"-like story of the 1960s misadventures of best friends Leroy "Preach" Jackson (Glynn Turman) and Richard "Cochise" Morris (Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs), Black students at Chicago's Edwin G. Cooley Vocational High School. The film began with The Supremes' hit "Baby Love" and ended -- memorably --with "Reach Out I'll Be There" by The Four Tops.

The  ABC  series "China Beach," which aired from 1988 to 1991, used The Supremes' 1967 hit "Reflections" in its opening credits sequence. The drama starred the two-time Primetime Emmy winner Dana Delany as  Colleen McMurphy, a dedicated U.S. Army nurse at an evacuation hospital in South Vietnam in the late 1960s. 

Dozier and music superstar Phil Collins received a 1988 Academy Award nomination for the song "Two Hearts" from the movie "Buster." The film starred Collins and Dame Julie Walters. Six years earlier, Collins had a Top 10 Billboard hit with a cover of The Supremes' "You Can't Hurry Love."

In 1989, Sir Rod Stewart was joined by Ronald Isley of the Isley Brothers for a cover of the Holland-Dozier-Holland song "This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You)." Originally recorded by the Isleys in 1966, the new version peaked at No. 10 on the Billboard pop chart.

XFl6X8Y8_bigger.jpg

RIP Lamont Dozier. Without Holland-Dozier-Holland, there’s no Motown as we know it. This is just a starter list. More at https://secondhandsongs.com/artist/3525/works#nav-entity

lcmNkZJn_bigger.jpeg

My condolences to Lamont Dozier’s family. He will always be remembered through all the beautiful songs that he wrote for me and the Supremes, and so many other beautiful songs.

• Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Lamont Dozier, who teamed with fellow songwriters Eddie and Brian Holland to create many elements of The Motown Sound during the 1960s, has died at the age of 81. His death on Monday was reported on Instagram by his son, Lamont Dozier Jr.

The cause of death was not disclosed.

Holland-Dozier-Holland wrote many hit tunes performed by such stellar artists as Diana Ross and the Supremes, The Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Marvin Gaye, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas and The Isley Brothers.

See the source image

Holland=Dozier-Holland  and composer Frank DeVol collaborated on a theme song for "The Happening," a 1967 screen drama starring Anthony Quinn as a businessman who turns the tables on his kidnappers by talking control of the ransom plans...

See the source image

...The song -- also called "The Happening" -- was another No. 1 hit for Diana Ross and the Supremes.

I saw this movie when it came out. It didn't make much of a splash, but it was really a harbinger of what was to come later in alternative youth-oriented film. Also notable for me because it was the first time I ever saw Faye Dunaway on screen.

Unbelievably, Holland-Dozier and Holland wrote All Of The Supremes hits and still had time to write The Four Tops hits plus my favorite Martha and The Vandellas hit record--"Heat Wave".

They were so prolific that they even wrote for songwriter Smokey Robinson's Miracles and Marvin Gaye!

In my mind, Holland- Dozierand Holland were Motown.

Thank God for giving them to us, if even for a brief period of time.

And Lamont Dozier will never be forgotten as long as people listen to music.

(Can I Get A Witness? 🎶😁🎵)

• Like 1