Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Television Noir as a theme for Noir Alley

joenic27

My two favorite classic film genres are screwball comedy, and film noir.  I also like to watch classic television. I think it would be interesting for the Noir Alley segment to take a month, or even one weekend to focus on film noir in early television.   Naked City, Peter Gunn,  The Fugitive, the first couple of Perry Mason seasons, the B&W Dragnet, among others used many of the thematic elements seen in film noir.  It would not be unprecedented for TCM to show television episodes, as they have done this in the past while concentrating on a star.  Just a thought. :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joenic27 said:

My two favorite classic film genres are screwball comedy, and film noir.  I also like to watch classic television. I think it would be interesting for the Noir Alley segment to take a month, or even one weekend to focus on film noir in early television.   Naked City, Peter Gunn,  The Fugitive, the first couple of Perry Mason seasons, the B&W Dragnet, among others used many of the thematic elements seen in film noir.  It would not be unprecedented for TCM to show television episodes, as they have done this in the past while concentrating on a star.  Just a thought. :) 

I don't recall TCM ever showing TV episodes expect when they showed some Johnny Carson shows that featured "classic" movie actors.

I really like some of the noir T.V. shows you mentioned like Peter Gunn,  Naked  City and 77 Sunset Street,  but I don't know if I would want TCM to start showing T.V. shows.

That sounds more up the alley of classic T.V. stations like ME-TV,  GET-TV and THIS network. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, joenic27 said:

. . . I think it would be interesting for the Noir Alley segment to take a month, or even one weekend to focus on film noir in early television.   Naked City, Peter Gunn,  The Fugitive, the first couple of Perry Mason seasons, the B&W Dragnet . . . Just a thought. :) 

I like your thought, joenic27!

Besides the shows that you suggested, I'd add M Squad, Mike Hammer (1958), The Untouchables, and Johnny Staccato.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 12:37 PM, joenic27 said:

My two favorite classic film genres are screwball comedy, and film noir.

There are some ensemble/quasi-comedy Noirs - Screwball Noir - Grand Central Murder (1942)  Manhandled (1949),  Deadline at Dawn (1946), His Kind of Woman (1951), Shack Out On 101 (1955), and even Lady In The Lake (1946), has some of this quality, there are probably a few others lurking in the Classic Noirs. Neo  Noir contenders are Dr. Strangelove,or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964), The Late Show (1977) After Hours (1985), Down By Law (1986), Delicatessen (1991) and The Big Lebowski (1998). 

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

There are some ensemble/quasi-comedy Noirs - Screwball Noir - Grand Central Murder (1942)  Manhandled (1949),  Deadline at Dawn (1946), His Kind of Woman (1951), Shack Out On 101 (1955), and even Lady In The Lake (1946), has some of this quality, there are probably a few others lurking in the Classic Noirs. Neo  Noir contenders are Dr. Strangelove,or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964), The Late Show (1977) After Hours (1985), Down By Law (1986), Delicatessen (1991) and The Big Lebowski (1998). 

Don't forget My Favorite Brunette, Gumshoe, Pulp, The Long Goodbye, The Black Bird (totally crummy!), The Manchu Eagle Murder Caper Mystery, Peeper, The Cheap Detective (also crummy!), The Man with Bogart's Face, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

. . . although whether any of those spoofs qualify as "screwball comedy" is a matter of opinion.

Film Noir Comedies/Parodies

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2022 at 7:23 PM, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Don't forget My Favorite Brunette, Gumshoe, Pulp, The Long Goodbye, The Black Bird (totally crummy!), The Manchu Eagle Murder Caper Mystery, Peeper, The Cheap Detective (also crummy!), The Man with Bogart's Face, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

. . . although whether any of those spoofs qualify as "screwball comedy" is a matter of opinion.

Film Noir Comedies/Parodies

Unfaithfully Yours (1948)  is a good example of a comedy with noir elements.

Unfaithfully Yours (1948) – Deep Focus Review – Movie Reviews, Critical  Essays, and Film Analysis

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 5:37 PM, joenic27 said:

Perry Mason is on Paramount+. And FTV,  Family Entertainment Channel. TCM, now owned by Discovery (Warner-Discovery) would have to buy the rights to broadcast these series. They seem to be in the middle of dumping as much as possible to save money instead of spending it. Nice idea, though.