Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LAURENCE HARVEY Day

I may be in the minority here, but I like Laurence Harvey.   The Manchurian Candidate and Room at the Top are two of my favorites.  I also like his supporting role in Darling as the slimy Miles Brand, which is not on today's schedule.   So, I take it most of you won't be tuning in today? 

Room at the Top (1959) von Jack Clayton | The blue series - UCM.ONE

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Hellzapoppin said:

I may be in the minority here, but I like Laurence Harvey.   The Manchurian Candidate and Room at the Top are two of my favorites.  I also like his supporting role in Darling as the slimy Miles Brand, which is not on today's schedule.   So, I take it most of you won't be tuning in today? 

I like him, too, although I wouldn't count him among my favorites. I just like to tease TomJH due his hatred of him. Many of the regulars around here have one or two classic-era performers that they greatly dislike, and it's fun to rib them about it. For me, it's Robert Taylor and Al Jolson.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I like him, too, although I wouldn't count him among my favorites. I just like to tease TomJH due his hatred of him. Many of the regulars around here have one or two classic-era performers that they greatly dislike, and it's fun to rib them about it. For me, it's Robert Taylor and Al Jolson.

Thank you, that explains it.   I was wondering about the recent Laurence Harvey discussions.  I haven't seen too many other posts here (if any) dedicated to disliking an actor.   He may not be on the top of my list of actors but I do like Harvey.  He has been in several movies that I enjoy. 

I agree with you on Robert Taylor and Al Jolson.  I can think of a few other actors who I tend to avoid.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellzapoppin said:

I like him too. I've seen many of his films from today's lineup before, sometimes without realizing his roles in them.

Good Die Young (1954), Brothers Grimm (1962), Room at the Top (1959), Of Human Bondage (1964), and Night Watch (1973), seen them all before.

He was the husband in the Rashoman remake, The Outrage (1964); no Akira Kurosawa quality, but not bad for the novelty - Paul Newman + William Shatner (whodah thunk it?)

This morning I watched King Richard and the Crusaders (1954), mostly because it was part of the book "The Fifty Worst Films of All Time (and how they got that way)" by Harry Medved and Randy Lowell. I will at least record the rest to decide later; they at least read well on IMDb, and some have great casts - you would think they would have run from the projects if he wasn't up to sharing the billing.

Previously seen Manchurian Candidate (1962), and I will watch it again. Watched the sequel to Room at the Top, Life at the Top (1965) this morning; I am actually thinking I might track down the Brit TV series that followed the films, even if Harvey wasn't part of the cast.

So, clearly I'm a fan.

• Like 4

All multiple repeats, probably because many of them were his best films. I managed to catch a few without TCM; an oddball film called Rebus with Ann-Margret of all actresses; his last film Welcome to Arrow Beach;  A Girl Named Tamiko.  I have The Last Roman with Orson Welles on my to-watch list.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, wbogacz said:

I like him too. I've seen many of his films from today's lineup before ...

So, clearly I'm a fan.

Glad to see there are a few of us! I will mention another one I've seen before that's coming up on TCM soon, The Running Man (1963).  Co-starring Alan Bates and the lovely Lee Remick, directed by Carol Reed it's an imperfect but highly watchable thriller.  

I recorded Life at the Top this morning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fading Fast said:

A question, Harvey, to my not-trained eye,  seems to always be wearing a toupee - is that so? 

Thank you to anyone who knows. 

I'll take a crack at this question for ya here FF, and seein' as how nobody else has as yet.

No, I don't believe his hair was fake.

(...nope, but I'll bet he went through a whole lot of cans of Aqua Net in his short 45 years of life)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Hey, I kind'a like Robert Taylor, anyway.

So, have I ever mentioned to you folks that I've always thought he would've been MUCH better cast as Linus Larrabee in Sabrina than Bogie was? 

Oh, I HAVE you SAY?! Well, THIS still stands, folks!

(...and NOW back to Tom's "favo(u)rite" actor here)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So, have I ever mentioned to your folks that I've always thought he would've been MUCH better cast as Linus Larrabee in Sabrina than Bogie was? 

Oh, I HAVE you SAY?! Well, THIS still stands, folks.

How about you, Dargo? Do you have a classic-era performer that irritates you?

I know someone around here hates Tyrone Power (laffite?), and someone hated Hugh Herbert. I think Swithin has voiced annoyance at Barbara Stanwyck.

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So, have I ever mentioned to your folks that I've always thought he would've been MUCH better cast as Linus Larrabee in Sabrina than Bogie was? 

Oh, I HAVE you SAY?! Well, THIS still stands, folks.

Of course, this was the original Linus Larrabee, Jr., on the stage...

Pin page

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

How about you, Dargo? Do you have a classic-era performer that irritates you?

I know someone around here hates Tyrone Power (laffite?), and someone hated Hugh Herbert. I think Swithin has voiced annoyance at Barbara Stanwyck.

I can't believe you've seemed to have forgotten all the times I've poked fun at the OTHER "Great Stone Face"..George Raft, around here, Lawrence my friend?!  ;)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Of course, this was the original Linus Larrabee, Jr., on the stage...

Pin page

Yep, I'd say Cotten would've been better cast in the film version than Bogie was too, Tex. Good point.

Gotta admit I didn't know Cotten had played the Linus part on the stage prior to the film version being made.

(...any idea why he wasn't cast for the film version?...considering that in '54 I would think he would've been considered on Hollywood's A-List, and so he would seem to me to have been Wilder's first choice for the role, wouldn't ya say?)

29 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I can't believe you've seemed to have forgotten all the times I've poked fun at the OTHER "Great Stone Face"..George Raft, around here, Lawrence my friend?!  ;)

Yeah, Raft has been a frequent target on here over the years. I didn't associate the derision specifically with you, though. Now I know!

IckyDisfiguredCapeghostfrog-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep, I'd say Cotten would've been better cast in the film version than Bogie was too, Tex. Good point.

Gotta admit I didn't know Cotten had played the Linus part on the stage prior to the film version being made.

(...any idea why he wasn't cast for the film version?...considering that in '54 I would think he would've been considered on Hollywood's A-List, and so he would seem to me to have been Wilder's first choice for the role, wouldn't ya say?)

The film actually started production before the play premiered in New York, a most unusual situation.  The film production started in September 1953, and the play didn't premiere in NYC until November of that year.  There was an agreement to not release the film until the play had run at least a year on Broadway.  It actually closed 10 weeks shy of a year.

So the reason he's not in the film is because he was still doing the play.  The film was done quickly.  It was released in October 1954, just a few weeks after the play closed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, Raft has been a frequent target on here over the years. I didn't associate the derision specifically with you, though. Now I know!

IckyDisfiguredCapeghostfrog-max-1mb.gif

Yeah, good point. I'm definitely not in the minority of the regulars on these board who'll often cite Georgie here as one of their least favorites, alright.

And so, allow me a moment to conjure up another name who's prone to give me the ol' "Cosmo Kramer/Mary Hart Reaction" thing other than Raft.

(...I'll get back to ya)  ;)

I dig Laurence Harvey. I haven't seen all of his movies. In the few of his movies that I have seen, it was his nervous/neurotic energy and his voice (the quality of which was almost similar to the sotto voce tones of Oliver Reed) that appealed to me. I think that I first saw him -- without realizing who he was -- in The Magic Christian, as a stage actor who strips while reciting lines from "Hamlet."

Laurence+Harvey+-+The+Magic+Christian+%2

Hamlet: "To be . . ."
Youngman Grand (Ringo Starr): "I've seen it."

Although Welcome to Arrow Beach (AKA Tender Flesh) is considered a stinker, I'm keen on seeing it.

Welcome+to+Arrow+Beach+2.JPG

Harvey gave, to me, a memorable and magnificent performance in the "The Caterpillar" episode of Night Gallery.

harvey.jpg     6429595.jpg?395   night-gallery-the-caterpillar-1972.jpg&ehk=xYjOWXz6%2Bd5NTRi7QpKSLSFNR4upeRJnBgxW3z3jVkA=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

The film actually started production before the play premiered in New York, a most unusual situation.  The film production started in September 1953, and the play didn't premiere in NYC until November of that year.  There was an agreement to not release the film until the play had run at least a year on Broadway.  It actually closed 10 weeks shy of a year.

So the reason he's not in the film is because he was still doing the play.  The film was done quickly.  It was released in October 1954, just a few weeks after the play closed.

Thanks for the info supplied here, Tex. You're amazing in these regards, ya know.

And so, I'll now ask what YOU think of my pick as Taylor in the Linus role?

(...I mean, I've always thought his somewhat stiff acting style AND the fact during the early-'50s he still was considered for many a romantic leading man role, would've not only played to his advantage in the role of the staid and reserved Linus character, but in addition make the idea of Hepburn's Sabrina falling in love with him a heck of a lot more believable than falling for the by then world-weary looking Bogart)