Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

School board drops the Pledge of Allegiance


Recommended Posts

School board drops the Pledge of Allegiance

A North Dakota school board has nixed reciting the Pledge of Allegiance before each meeting — deciding it didn’t align with the district’s values.

The Fargo School Board voted 7-2 Tuesday to drop the Pledge from the start of its bi-weekly meetings because members didn’t feel it was inclusive, apparently taking issue with the phrase: “under God,” according to North Dakota newspaper Inforum.

Board member Seth Holden said that because “the word ‘God’ in the text of the Pledge of Allegiance is capitalized … the text is clearly referring to the Judeo-Christian god and therefore, it does not include any other faith such as Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, all of which are practiced by our staff and students.”

Holden also said it excluded those in Fargo schools who don’t believe in god.

**********************************************

Democrats keep attacking the Pledge of Allegiance, and want it out of the schools and meetings. it's the same with the National Anthem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have served on several different government boards, to include city council, where the pledge was not recited.  This reciting the pledge at meetings is just more pseudo, fake patriotism by those who least support American democracy.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I have served on several different government boards, to include city council, where the pledge was not recited.  This reciting the pledge at meetings is just more pseudo, fake patriotism by those who least support American democracy.  

BS! you excuse Godless America-hating sickos....did YOU ever have the guts to object to the pledge of allegiance in the military?

no, of course not. your fellow soldiers would have wanted to beat the sheet out of you.

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NipkowDisc said:

BS! you excuse Godless America-hating sickos....did YOU ever have the guts to object to the pledge of allegiance in the military?

no, of course not. your fellow soldiers would have wanted to beat the sheet out of you.

 

As someone who never served in the military, I will forgive your insults - this time.  I served over 28 years in the US Army and I do not recall ever saying the Pledge of Allegiance.  Maybe when I was first commissioned or at some school graduation ceremony.  Otherwise, not done.

It wasn't done because it was not appropriate.

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

School board drops the Pledge of Allegiance

A North Dakota school board has nixed reciting the Pledge of Allegiance before each meeting — deciding it didn’t align with the district’s values.

The Fargo School Board voted 7-2 Tuesday to drop the Pledge from the start of its bi-weekly meetings because members didn’t feel it was inclusive, apparently taking issue with the phrase: “under God,” according to North Dakota newspaper Inforum.

Board member Seth Holden said that because “the word ‘God’ in the text of the Pledge of Allegiance is capitalized … the text is clearly referring to the Judeo-Christian god and therefore, it does not include any other faith such as Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, all of which are practiced by our staff and students.”

Holden also said it excluded those in Fargo schools who don’t believe in god.

**********************************************

Democrats keep attacking the Pledge of Allegiance, and want it out of the schools and meetings. it's the same with the National Anthem.

Apparently, the recitation of the pledge before Fargo school boards meetings is a recent "tradition" that just started this past spring.

School board elections in ND are non-partisan, so gleaning the party information of school board members would be difficult.  Furthermore, ND doesn't have voter registration, so citizens do not declare party membership.  The only information you can glean regarding party alliance are partisan election results, and ND is a very conservative state.

You'd expect that the school board membership would largely follow the overall political leanings, so I'd wager that the majority of the board members are conservatives.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, txfilmfan said:

Apparently, the recitation of the pledge before Fargo school boards meetings is a recent "tradition" that just started this past spring.

School board elections in ND are non-partisan, so gleaning the party information of school board members would be difficult.  Furthermore, ND doesn't have voter registration, so citizens do not declare party membership.  The only information you can glean regarding party alliance are partisan election results, and ND is a very conservative state.

You'd expect that the school board membership would largely follow the overall political leanings, so I'd wager that the majority of the board members are conservatives.

 

The point is that "requiring" the Pledge at government meetings is fake patriotism and actually has no place at such meetings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MovieMadness said:

They need a recall election to get these fakers out of office, there is no way these are "conservatives" doing this.

Why not let Fargo worry about Fargo?  Doesn't affect you one whit.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Why not let Fargo worry about Fargo?  Doesn't affect you one whit.

Because the Trumpists and Trump enablers on here do not care about America, democracy or people's rights.  They just want a dictatorship enforcing their beliefs on all others - religious, social, political, etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Why not let Fargo worry about Fargo?  Doesn't affect you one whit.

Once they got away with it once, it spread everywhere else. So yes it affects all of us. They tried to do the same with Christmas.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Once they got away with it once, it spread everywhere else. So yes it affects all of us. They tried to do the same with Christmas.

The major issue is religious scenes on government property.  Private is another matter, one can decorate as they see fit. Can say Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or whatever. Christmas has become a muti billion dollar holiday, highly unlikely it will ever be done away with.  Now it starts before Halloween - geeze do one holiday at a time for Pete's sake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

Once they got away with it once, it spread everywhere else. So yes it affects all of us. They tried to do the same with Christmas.

What happened to the Republican doctrine of letting local governments decide local matters.

Oh. that doesn't fit with your advocacy of an extreme right-wing dictatorship?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Pledge of Allegiance was written in August 1892 by the socialist minister Francis Bellamy (1855-1931). It was originally published in The Youth's Companion on September 8, 1892. Bellamy had hoped that the pledge would be used by citizens in any country.

In its original form it read:

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
In 1923, the words, "the Flag of the United States of America" were added. At this time it read:

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." 

Under God was never part of it until 1954 when those Card Carrying Commies showed up with the Red Scare.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Once they got away with it once, it spread everywhere else. So yes it affects all of us. They tried to do the same with Christmas.

Did the Democrats ever put that in their platform?  Do you see them advocating for removal of the Pledge of Allegiance?  Were there any laws passed forbidding you from saying "Merry Christmas"?  Do you see Democrats passing laws outlawing the Pledge?

No.  And there never will be, and you know it.

Stop with your nonsensical pot-stirring.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Once they got away with it once, it spread everywhere else. So yes it affects all of us. They tried to do the same with Christmas.

Looks like you don't support local control.    Or are you like most other hyper partisans;  you support local control and state rights when the issues at hand are the ones you agree with but want Federal dominance  to overrule local control when your POV is in the minority.

 Note something similar came up when certain Atlanta schools districts remove the "N" word from Huckleberry Finn.   White conservatives in other areas went nuts. 

But now that local school boards are banning books written by LGBT authors or that have related themes (e.g. two men married),   these same conservatives are saying they should have the right to do so in their own school district.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Looks like you don't support local control.    Or are you like most other hyper partisans;  you support local control and state rights when the issues at hand are the ones you agree with but want Federal dominance  to overrule local control when your POV is in the minority.

 Note something similar cave up when certain Atlanta schools districts remove the "N" word from Huckleberry Finn.   White conservatives in other areas went nuts. 

But now that local school boards are banning books written by LGBT authors or that have related themes (e.g. two men married),   these same conservatives are saying they should have the right to do so in their own school district.     

Note that this isn't even about removing it from school.  It's about removing it from school board meetings!

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Note that this isn't even about removing it from school.  It's about removing it from school board meetings!

Uh,,,,, didn't you see that I said something SIMILAR???????     I.e. what is SIMILAR is that a local school board made a decision.     These members are elected by the people in the school district.       

What I was doing was adding to the point you already made to MM about why should he care about what they do in Fargo,  if he doesn't live in Fargo.

Let people at the local level make choices as it relates  to naming schools,  the type of monuments they want,  and a bunch of other issues (NOT just schools). 

AND stop the silly outrage about things that happen in areas that have NO impact to what is happening in your area   (and by "your" I don't mean you).

 

 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Note that this isn't even about removing it from school.  It's about removing it from school board meetings!

Yes, when I first heard about this I assumed it was about taking the Pledge out of school.  It seems unnecessary to do it before a school board meeting.  I can't recall many, if any, times as an adult I was in a group called on to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.  Standing for the national anthem, removing your hat and all that at sporting events?  Of course, many times.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the only reason "under God" was included because of McCarthy, it should be reversed. Taking an oath to our country should reflect for what it stands for - individual liberty, religious freedom.  This was  Bellamy's intent.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Hellzapoppin said:

Yes, when I first heard about this I assumed it was about taking the Pledge out of school.  It seems unnecessary to do it before a school board meeting.  I can't recall many, if any, times as an adult I was in a group called on to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.  Standing for the national anthem, removing your hat and all that at sporting events?  Of course, many times.  

Not sure where  you live, but in the middle part of the country, especially in smaller towns, it's fairly common for civic meetings to start with the Pledge of Allegiance, and an invocation (prayer), usually non-denominational but definitely to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Even the City of Dallas starts their city council meetings this way.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Uh,,,,, didn't you see that I said something SIMILAR???????     I.e. what is SIMILAR is that a local school board made a decision.     These members are elected by the people in the school district.       

What I was doing was adding to the point you already made to MM about why should he care about what they do in Fargo,  if he doesn't live in Fargo.

Let people at the local level make choices as it relates  to naming schools,  the type of monuments they want,  and a bunch of other issues (NOT just schools). 

AND stop the silly outrage about things that happen in areas that have NO impact to what is happening in your area   (and by "your" I don't mean you).

 

 
 

 

I got it.  My only point, obviously not well made,  was that removing it from a standing meeting should be less controversial than if the school board was voting to drop it from the classroom.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Not sure where  you live, but in the middle part of the country, especially in smaller towns, it's fairly common for civic meetings to start with the Pledge of Allegiance, and an invocation (prayer), usually non-denominational but definitely to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Even the City of Dallas starts their city council meetings this way.

 

More likely many thinks "under God"  has always been included since it's inception. Even I never took notice until the past day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, hamradio said:

 

More likely many thinks "under God"  has always been included since it's inception. Even I never took notice until the past day.

I learned about it early on, as my Mom told me the Pledge she learned was different from the current one, when I was in elementary school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hellzapoppin said:

 Standing for the national anthem, removing your hat and all that at sporting events?  Of course, many times.  

Which always seemed excessively silly to me. Why is the anthem or any other show of "patriotism" necessary before a sports game?

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Which always seemed excessively silly to me. Why is the anthem or any other show of "patriotism" necessary before a sports game?

Good point.  I just looked up how that tradition started:

"The 1918 World Series was not the first series to feature the anthem, but it was one of the most memorable. Babe Ruth played for Boston then, and the Red Sox were in Chicago taking on the Cubs for the championship. The crowd was flat: The Cubs weren't playing well, the weather was crummy — and, at a much more significant level, World War I still raged.

During the seventh-inning stretch, the band struck up the anthem. "And one of the players on the field, who's in the Navy, just sort of snaps to attention...  the crowd responded [to the anthem]. It gets written up in the newspaper as this amazing moment that brings the stadium back to life at a time of despair, both sporting-wise and for the country. And the legend is, that inspires 'The Star-Spangled Banner' to be played at the next game and then back in Boston and then returns to Chicago. And becomes the thing from then on out."

How Sports Met 'The Star-Spangled Banner' : NPR

 

As with the Pledge, Americans have the freedom to participate or not when the anthem is played at sporting events.  I suppose there is an assumption that sports fans are more patriotic or at least more receptive to flourishes of patriotism.  I don't mind the anthem being played at games but don't mind if people choose not to participate either.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...