Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anne Heche has died

for the 2-3 million of us who tuned in to ANOTHER WORLD as often as we could on our days off from school and over the summer, and who even learned- in spite of being technologically disinclined- to set the VCR so we could see it when certain storylines got really spicy, this is sad news. 

I know for the rest of you, she will be a bad haircut, a punchline, Ellen's ex, Zerlina the Star Queen, a whacko...and I understand

but those of us who had the good fortune to live during a time when SOAPS were still RULING DAYTIME will always remember ANNE HECHE as someone who brought some absolute OSCAR LEVEL A-GAME ACTING to DAYTIME TELEVISION.

I am sorry that she died in a reckless way endangering the lives of others, for those of you who want to get on her for that, go ahead I guess...

but for those handful of us who knew and saw the talent, feel free to add thoughts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

What a sad ending.  I can't say that I had the same connection to her that you did but I remember the period when she was in several high profile projects in a row like Wag the Dog, Volcano, Donnie Brasco, Walking and Talking, the ill-fated Six Days and Seven Nights, and the Psycho remake.  I also recall watching that revealing interview Barbara Walters did with her where she discussed her troubled childhood.   I read years ago that she was the inspiration for Heather Graham's character in Bowfinger, written and starring her ex., Steve Martin.

• Thanks 3

She had great on screen presence, probably best seen in supporting roles in Wag the Dog and Birth, and I know what horrors she went through in life even from the start. She will be missed.

As for her passing, at least it wasn't as bad as how her character went in the 1992 TV movie version of O Pioneers, but she died far too soon in a tragic way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hellzapoppin said:

I read years ago that she was the inspiration for Heather Graham's character in Bowfinger, written and starring her ex., Steve Martin.

Well, at least we know who the "Most powerful lesbian in Hollywood!" was, that Graham's ambitious character left Steve Martin for, at the end of Bowfinger...

I don't recall whether Heche coming Out, and consequently plummeting off the map, was before or after the Psycho remake, or critics snickering "Yeah, right..." as Harrison Ford's romantic interest in "Six Days, Seven Nights".

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Elevator shaft? 

Her character was married to an older man, but was still in love with a young man she had grown up with. The husband discovered them together and in a rage, shot them both.

The TV movie itself was pretty good even if the very end was changed from the original book. Jessica Lange was the lead.

https://archive.org/details/OPioneers199213915

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sad news but not unexpected.  I thought she was quite a talented actress.  Sometimes it's very hard to control those "inner demons" when things aren't going well (i.e.  her breakup with Thomas Jane).  I wonder if she just decided on the spur-of-the-moment to go speeding down the street -- how could a person actually plan such a thing, you know?  She was at the wig shop not long before the first crash and then the second.  Like her "impulse control" just disappeared as quickly as snapping your fingers.  I know a lil' something about mental illness and its various forms; I wish I didn't but there are times one's internal "impulse control" knob vanishes ever so briefly -- but just long enough to do something harmful.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am sorry that she died in a reckless way endangering the lives of others, for those of you who want to get on her for that, go ahead I guess...

but for those handful of us who knew and saw the talent, feel free to add thoughts.

As it seems you really cared for Ms. Heche, allow me to offer my condolences to you, Lorna.

And in regard to the manner in which she died, I'll just say, and I hope you don't find this to sound callous here, but considering how severe her injuries were and with probably zero chance of a recovery, I'd say her passing and so soon after her fiery crash, was probably for the best.

(...and to be honest, this being how I would feel about almost anyone, and regardless their being a celebrity or not, if such a similar fate would befall them)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Lorna for that Another World clip- she looked great in that. I LOL when she broke the row of wine glasses, squirted mustard on the guy and especially her fall off the standing still horse! (yes, I have done that myself-when mounting a normally jiggy horse that has decided to stand still that one time)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

As it seems you really cared for Ms. Heche, allow me to offer my condolences to you, Lorna.

And in regard to the manner in which she died, I'll just say, and I hope you don't find this to sound callous here, but considering how severe her injuries were and with probably zero chance of a recovery, I'd say her passing and so soon after her fiery crash, was probably for the best.

(...and to be honest, this being how I would feel about almost anyone, and regardless their being a celebrity or not, if such a similar fate would befall them)

4 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

Thanks Lorna for that Another World clip- she looked great in that. I LOL when she broke the row of wine glasses, squirted mustard on the guy and especially her fall off the standing still horse! (yes, I have done that myself-when mounting a normally jiggy horse that has decided to stand still that one time)

thank you both.

it's so hard to explain to these children today THE HOLD that SOAPS had on (some of) us back in the 80's and 90's (and 60's and 70's, but I wasn't around for that.) it was a different world, and there were fewer options- and you had THESE ACTORS on these shows IN YOUR HOUSE 5 DAYS A WEEK throughout the year, and you watched their bad haircuts grow out, and their style evolve and the characters change (for the better or worse) and you picked the ones you liked and the ones you didn't.

i was a chubby middle schooler with no life in 1989-1992, and ANOTHER WORLD was huge for me (as was the nighttime DARK SHADOWS revival...I was also very very into DAYS of OUR LIVES, but that ran at 1:00 and I had the damnedest time catching it. I was so over SANTA BARBARA by then...) THAT was also a time where, as I have written before, the show just clicked and they got the right actors and the right producers.

and in the center of this was ANNE HECHE as VICKY and MARLEY- doing things as both of them that you would SLAP ANYONE YOU KNEW IN REAL LIFE if they did them [VICKY doing BAD THINGS, MARLEY doinf STUPID THINGS)- but because of HECHE'S beauty and style and charisma, you rooted for her to DESTROY EVERYONE AROUND HER.

I remember HECHE used to ad-lib in character, there was one time an actress on the show got a drastic haircut and- as Vicky in the scene- Heche just reached out and mussed her costar's hair and said something to the effect of "I love it!" and you could tell it was just genuine, and 30 years later, I STILL recall it.

• Like 2

I've mentioned before that there are a scattered selection of ANOTHER WORLD episodes and parts of episodes on youtube,

In rewatching them recently, I was struck by how good HECHE was working with actors who were not on her level. they had one actor- a very handsome guy but a LOUSY ACTOR- and in her scenes with him, she's doing her best to get a serviceable performance from him (and halfway succeeding)

• Like 2

the above is a pretty good video- footage of ANNE winning the EMMY for ANOTHER WORLD with footage of her enthusiastic castmates (among them CHARLES KEATING and CARMEN DUNCAN) cheering her in her absence.

then ANNE explains why she couldn't he there.

and then they show her EMMY REEL and it starts with the scene where she SLAPS DONNA (her mother) and it was NOT SCRIPTED and it's GREAT!

I never knew much about Anne Heche save for her relationship with Ellen Degeneres.  And only saw two of her movies.  VOLCANO('97)  and WAG THE DOG( '97 too)  and thought she was a competent enough actress.  Did good work in both of them IMHO.

Sad to hear.  Last I heard was she was hurt bad in that wreck.

so Rest In Peace Anne.

Sepiatone

19 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I never knew much about Anne Heche save for her relationship with Ellen Degeneres.  And only saw two of her movies.  VOLCANO('97)  and WAG THE DOG( '97 too)  and thought she was a competent enough actress.  Did good work in both of them IMHO.

Sad to hear.  Last I heard was she was hurt bad in that wreck.

so Rest In Peace Anne.

Sepiatone

I can’t say for sure, because I did not see all of her films, but I don’t think that she ever got a film role that really tapped into her strengths the way that – ironically – her very first role on ANOTHER WORLD did. 

I know I keep saying this, but it’s such a shame that the Soap genre was dying out when Heche came along, because she would’ve been perfectly suited for it – she was the sort of personality that you could have in your house five times a week and not mind at all.**

**provided she was on the tv screen and not driving through it

• Like 1