Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay. What's wrong with me here? While watching two musicals starring today's SUTS honoree Jane Powell this evening, both of which usually considered to be pretty run-of-the-mill examples of this film genre...

Dargo

...Small Town Girl and Two Weeks with Love, I ACTUALLY found myself being VERY entertained by them!!!

(...what...am I gettin' less-discerning in my, ahem, later years here or somethin'?)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

...Small Town Girl and Two Weeks with Love, I ACTUALLY found myself being VERY entertained by them!!!

(...what...am I gettin' less-discerning in my, ahem, later years here or somethin'?)

Congratulations on what may be the longest thread title in the history of the TCM Board!

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

longest thread title

Oh no, is this a new trend to attract attention? The shouting certainly isn't welcome. (or like our screen names, default to all capitals?)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tikisoo said:

Oh no, is this a new trend to attract attention? 

I hope not! Dargo is usually more succinct. He's just confused by his reaction to the two Jane Powell movies. So, perhaps for the moment, he's like Mantan Moreland in King of the Zombies, who famously said: "Can I help it cause I'm loquacious?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Personally, I have always rather liked "Two Weeks with Love."  In spite of the peculiar choice of the title!  I always think the story will be some G.I. with an extended pass running amok in Brooklyn for half a month.  

"Small Town Girl" I can take or leave; but watchable, certainly.

I enjoy the cast of Two Weeks, especially Louis Calhern in the what would otherwise have been the Leon Ames role.  Just enough puffery to let himself be swept up in his fatherly duties in pursuit of a corset.  Kind of funny, really!  And just imagine -- he's Julius Caesar right now!

(By the way, I looked through my world atlas and found the title to this thread to be the name of a small village in Wales)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, brianNH said:

(By the way, I looked through my world atlas and found the title to this thread to be the name of a small village in Wales)

I guess you mean the village that is sometimes shortened to Llanfair PG, which was used as a password in the movie Barbarella.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

I haven't seen these two musicals, Dargo, but maybe, with time, you're just getting easier to please.

I mean, heck, you laugh at my jokes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Swithin said:

Congratulations on what may be the longest thread title in the history of the TCM Board!

Evidently Swithin, you've forgotten that other thread I started a while back with maybe an even longer title than THIS one.

(...remember that whole George Brent or Don Ameche in that cartoon thing?)  ;)

12 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

Oh no, is this a new trend to attract attention? The shouting certainly isn't welcome. (or like our screen names, default to all capitals?)

Yep, that's exactly what took place here, Tiki. What I highlighted in your above quote, that is.

As nope, I did not capitalize (or "shout") my thread title when I typed it in last night, and as you can see on the main page of this forum.

(...this sort of thing which is a standard format on this forum, and was most likely called to your attention in THIS case because my thread title was so damn long)

I'm not typically a fan of such musicals either but I have seen them before and they have strong supporting case and are overall well made films.

But since I have seen them before I tend to skip over the songs if there is some sports game I like on another network.

Here is me with Jane:

Pin page

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I'm not typically a fan of such musicals either but I have seen them before and they have strong supporting case and are overall well made films.

But since I have seen them before I tend to skip over the songs if there is some sports game I like on another network.

Here is me with Jane:

Pin page

Funny, but I had no idea you looked like Chill Wills there, James?

(...I've always envisioned you appearing as more the Keanu Reeves type, dude!)

;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

they needed to show her best musical seven brides for seven brothers with Howard Keel singing about them lonely sobbin women.

:D

I believe that it WAS shown earlier in the evening, Nip.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I believe that WAS shown earlier in the evening, Nip.

TCM showed the film;  but they only showed the cut version which makes him forgetful;   Nipkow likes the unedited version where the men brutalize the women and,  of course, they like it.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, brianNH said:

Your reference to Wales here Brian, and perhaps because this thread is about "musicals", has reminded me of the time back in '96 when my wife and I stepped off the train in Cardiff.

As we ventured toward its famed castle while walking down a few main steets to get to it, it seemed every pub we passed we heard loud group singing emanating from them.

I had always heard that the Welsh loved belting out a song, and this just confirmed it.

(...I remember we stopped outside one particular one for a few minutes and listened as the pub patrons inside were doing a pretty darn good rendition of Oasis' Champagne Supernova)

• Like 1

I have my "Jose Iturbi Rule" about musicals.

If he is in them then the movie is not very good or mediocre at best, no matter who else in the cast I'm favorably disposed towards.

That is all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I have my "Jose Iturbi Rule" about musicals.

If he is in them then the movie is not very good or mediocre at best, no matter who else in the cast I'm favorably disposed towards.

That is all.

LOL

So basically here Bronxie...

Gene Kelly/Frank Sinatra musical about sailors on leave in YOUR old neck of the woods: Good

Gene Kelly/Frank Sinatra musical about sailors on leave in MY old neck of the woods: Bad

(...yep, I can dig where you're comin' from here, alright...and I don't just mean NYC in this regard) ;)

• Like 1

Bronxgirl48, does the rule go double when Iturbi's sister shows up to play?  

Boy, that's some rule to live by.  The Iturbi rule that rules our house is whenever that piano player comes on the screen, my wife and I shout, "It's Iturbi!"  Why? Because that is what most characters in the stories say when his name is mentioned or they see him on stage.  

As to the automatic deduction of points for the appeal of the musicals in which he appears, I guess I wish that he were replaced with Oscar Levant -- but we can't have everything.  Overall, I find most of the pictures entertaining enough as Iturbi slides through them.

And Dargo, your comments on the Welsh make me remember what I have always liked about musicals -- and evidently the one aspect of them that some people find objectionable.  I believe that there are times in our daily lives where we just are taken over by musical thoughts and expressions.  Often just plain old singing, as in the pub patrons' case, but sometimes our spirit simply lightens by thinking of musical ideas.  Don't think also that we aren't comforted by it in our sadness.  That's why when people in musicals start singing or dancing, I find it a perfectly sensible response to their emotions.  They are just sharing it with everyone at that moment.

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of 1930s musicals; not so much of the late '40s/early '50s musicals, e.g. I prefer Fred with Ginger to Fred with his later partners, not because those partners are not great dancers, but because the style of movie-making changed. I'm not even much of a fan of the Gene Kelly musicals, though I like Gene Kelly. The action in those later films seems to stop; whereas in the earlier films, there is a greater flow and meaning within the story, even the ones that are clearly performance-based in the context of the movie.

Btw, regarding Two Weeks with Love, there is that scene where Jane sings "The Oceana Roll" which I like, but I've always felt there is something creepy about it. I much prefer the version of that song near the top of Applause, the 1929 Helen Morgan film, directed by Rouben Mamoulian. There is something touching about all those chubby chorus girls, with their wrinkly tights, in that third-rate theater out in the Midwest, or wherever they are. It adds pathos and relevance to the film; the Jane Powell rendition in Two Weeks with Love is merely a very enjoyable (though creepy) dance number, inserted into a film.

The Helen Morgan/chorus girl version is at the 2:00 point in this link:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

Jane Powell said that Two Weeks with Love was her personal favorite of her musicals.   It jump started Debbie Reynolds movie career with her and Carleton Carpenter's version of Aba Daba Honeymoon  (their single released from the film by MGM Records reached number 3 on the Billboard Charts in 1951).   Louis Calhern played Powell's father in this musical, and the same year played her grandfather in Nancy Goes to Rio!

• Like 4