Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Liz Cheney's Chances With 3 Days to Election

Liz Cheney's Chances  With 3 Days to Election

The chances of Representative Liz Cheney being the Republican candidate in November for Wyoming's lone U.S. House seat are slim to none, new polling indicates.

On Thursday, the University of Wyoming's Wyoming Survey and Analysis Center (WYSAC) published a new poll of Republican voters likely participating in the state's August 16 primary showing just 28 percent of them supporting the incumbent Cheney against heavy favorite Harriet Hageman with less than a week to go.

Cheney is running for reelection, unlike her only Republican counterpart on the January 6 committee, Representative Adam Kinzinger of Illinois, who announced in October 2021 that he would not be seeking reelection.

About 57 percent of the 562 Wyoming residents surveyed between July 25 and August 6 preferred Hageman to Cheney. It's a deep slide for Cheney, who has represented Wyoming in Congress since 2017, including as the third highest-ranking House Republican due to chairing the House Republican Conference between 2019 and 2021.

Three more days and then Liz Cheney will be a lame duck for trying to steal the election with democrats.

Having seen a number of interviews with Wyoming voters,  it does seem probable that Harriet Hageman will defeat Liz Cheney in the primary (barring any election chicanery).   Liz Cheney was not held in high regard by those voters.    Hageman seems a better fit for Wyoming, and in the long debate I sleepily heard on C-SPAN one night,  she seemed well-prepared and conversant with issues of importance to the state.

It will be interesting to see if she will mount some token opposition to trump for the nomination. It would mean two back-to-back defeats but she might enjoy giving anti maga speeches. 

16 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I would vote for LIZ CHENEY for President of the United States. 

I'd consider it myself, but first she'd have to be on the ballot. That appears unlikely. 

(You know she voted with trump 93%, right?)

4 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I'd consider it myself, but first she'd have to be on the ballot. That appears unlikely. 

(You know she voted with trump 93%, right?)

Right now, she's the Man.  I admire her courage and determination to protect American Democracy. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Right now, she's the Man.  I admire her courage and determination to protect American Democracy. 

I don't doubt your sincerity but I remember the love showered by non Republicans on John McCain in 2000. By 2008, he had to wonder where it had all gone. 

6 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I don't doubt your sincerity but I remember the love showered by non Republicans on John McCain in 2000. By 2008, he had to wonder where it had all gone. 

I vote my conscience and cannot nor would I speak for a political party.  I also admire JOHN McCAIN , he's a hero to me always. 

17 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I vote my conscience and cannot nor would I speak for a political party.  I also admire JOHN McCAIN , he's a hero to me always. 

Did you vote for him?

2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Both sides are convinced they're the ones fighting for democracy. The problem that I have with the impeachment is what if things come out about Ukraine. If you check out Jake's threads, there are things said. Whatever Trump's motives were in the first impeachment, he was trying to uncover corruption. Biden is weaponizing the F.B.I. (Don't know about Margo but looking for Ashley's diary) Isn't the F.B.I. an overstretch. There's a whistleblower in the F.B.I. that claims in 2020 the F.B.I. knew that Hunter's laptop was real but for some reason 50 spies were willing to claim it was Russian information. I think Liz should wait it out and see how it plays out.

28 minutes ago, Marysara1 said:

Both sides are convinced they're the ones fighting for democracy. 

The partisans think that. When I hear someone say "Our Democracy is under existential threat!" - and it's mainly the lefties - I can never again take them seriously. If things are really that fragile then we're already done. Most people don't speak in those terms.

The problem that I have with the impeachment is what if things come out about Ukraine. ... Whatever Trump's motives were in the first impeachment, he was trying to uncover corruption.

Things came out. There were crooks in Ukraine. Let Zelensky worry about it. Trump wasn't trying to uncover it.  He was trying to get political info on Biden and using his office to do it. He was sloppy. And stupid. MAGA can't admit that, or won't, because they are so cynical about politics they, like Trump, just assume that's how things are done. Then they talk about the swamp. The deep state. Please.

Biden is weaponizing the F.B.I. 

And this is exactly what I'm talking about. Trump was weaponizing the presidency, using the powers of his office to extract politically useful information to damage his opponent. Isn't that what you are accusing Biden of doing?

I think Liz should wait it out and see how it plays out.

It's a little late. It will play out next year during the gop investigations. Liz won't be there. 

• Like 1

I much prefer the two party system, for many reasons, but should Liz Cheney run as an independent,  it seems quite likely to me that she'd help the Republican candidate, which would suit me fine.   Like most Republican figures who alienate the majority of the party for one reason or another,  she seems to galvanize Democrats much more than Republicans.    Democrats momentarily adore Republicans who further Democrat aims.   I remember the quaint days when all things "Cheney" produced hatred, vile accusations and gnashing of teeth in leftward precincts...   Now,  Dick is loved on for his political promo of Liz.   When Liz is not useful once again, she will be dropped by them to languish as a future live-in fixture of the "Morning Joe" show,  perhaps.

There are few Democrats now who remain consistently "maverick" to their party,  (Manchin and Sinema have gotten back in line, as expected),  but the same "glomming on" to them  would occur from the Republicans.   Let's see,  you do see a little of that with Republicans lionizing Tulsi Gabbard.    There is respect for her when her views run counter to Democrat dogma.   Similar phenomenon.

Will preface this as usual with "I could be wrong",   since I'm not very politically savvy,  but:    it's my belief that more Republicans regard this latest January 6 committee as a sham show trial, star chamber, Soviet-style theatrical production, than otherwise.   Even many who don't particularly like Trump are capable of thinking that due process and other basic protections have been forfeited, and the result is skewed and unfair.

So, in my 'umble opinion, many, many Republicans,  whether Trump-supporting or not,  dislike the role Liz has played in enabling what they regard as 'not cricket', and therefore don't support her.        

43 minutes ago, lilypond said:

I much prefer the two party system, for many reasons, but should Liz Cheney run as an independent,  it seems quite likely to me that she'd help the Republican candidate, which would suit me fine.   Like most Republican figures who alienate the majority of the party for one reason or another,  she seems to galvanize Democrats much more than Republicans.    Democrats momentarily adore Republicans who further Democrat aims.   I remember the quaint days when all things "Cheney" produced hatred, vile accusations and gnashing of teeth in leftward precincts...   Now,  Dick is loved on for his political promo of Liz.   When Liz is not useful once again, she will be dropped by them to languish as a future live-in fixture of the "Morning Joe" show,  perhaps.

I've read only 14% of that state is democrat.

1 hour ago, lilypond said:

Democrats momentarily adore Republicans who further Democrat aims.  

It is not that simple.  Some Americans are not partisan, love liberty and our democracy.  It's about leadership, not party platform.   You do know Republicans voted for JOE BIDEN

3 hours ago, lilypond said:

... it's my belief that more Republicans regard this latest January 6 committee as a sham show trial, star chamber, Soviet-style theatrical production, than otherwise.   

Those who compare it to Stalin's purge do Stalin a great favor. They minimize - no, they ignore - his carnage. No one is being hauled from the committee room and never seen again. 

The same ignorance is displayed with this "banana republic" talk. ("You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.") If anyone is behaving like a banana republican, it's Donald Trump. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Liz should run as an independent. 

My guess is that she would win if she ran as an independent.  The important question then would be would she empower Kevin McCarthy and MAGA world if they needed only one extra seat to seize control of Congress?   Very interesting.

If they really want her to be known as a RINO they could then get their wish.

3 hours ago, lilypond said:

Even many who don't particularly like Trump are capable of thinking that due process and other basic protections have been forfeited, and the result is skewed and unfair.

Maybe I'm wrong but ... Trump is not on trial and the J6 committee is not a courtroom. I can't think of any due process he has been denied nor any protections forfeited. What have I missed? 

The result will be, at most, a referral to DOJ. 

THEN he can insist on his due process and protections. 

• Thanks 1