Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Under the Stars Noirs

I'd go for that, JOHNNY2BAD.    I don't even watch Noir Alley that consistently, but a whole month without it seems desolate.   Eddie brings such a "human" touch to the increasingly homogenized, rigidly politically correct, and programmatic TCM....

• Like 4

I love this idea.  Eddie Muller's commentaries are so interesting and give a great background to films.  Spotlighting a Noir would be great.  I did see one of my favorite noirs recently on SUTS, "Sunset Boulevard" but Eddie Muller didn't introduce this film.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Johnny2Bad said:

How bout next year you pick actors who have been in one Noir so we can bring in Eddie Muller on Saturday during SUTS?  Only need four for the month. 
Thoughts?

Great idea.

Personally I think they should bring back the Saturday morning line-up as well.  A whole day devoted to one actor for a whole month is way too much.  Always has been.

Which is why my viewing of TCM during August plummets.  

Here are some of this month's Summer Under The Stars actors and actresses with one film that could be "noir". Let me know if you agree

Elvis Presley- King Creole (1958)

Sidney Poitier- The Lost Man (1969)

Ruth Roman- The Window (1949)- which has been shown on Noir Alley

Laurence Harvey-The Good Die Young (1954)

Elizabeth Taylor- maybe A Place In The Sun (1951)?

I couldn't think of any for Greta Garbo or Audrey Hepburn, I can't remember any of the others that were on SUTS this month

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Here are some of this month's Summer Under The Stars actors and actresses with one film that could be "noir". Let me know if you agree

Elvis Presley- King Creole (1958)

Sidney Poitier- The Lost Man (1969)

Ruth Roman- The Window (1949)- which has been shown on Noir Alley

Laurence Harvey-The Good Die Young (1954)

Elizabeth Taylor- maybe A Place In The Sun (1951)?

I couldn't think of any for Greta Garbo or Audrey Hepburn, I can't remember any of the others that were on SUTS this month

Shelley Winters:  He Ran All the Way (1951) airing on her day, August 18th.

Marilyn Monroe:  The Asphalt Jungle (1950) and Clash by Night (1952) both scheduled for the 27th.

• Like 1

For those Noiristas and Aficio-Noir-dos looking to advert Noir withdrawals here are the Noirs coming up on the August schedule

THU, AUGUST 4 - The Window  - 8AM Eastern - Strangers On A Train 8PM - Tomorrow is Another Day 10PM - Down Three Dark Streets 11:45PM

FRI, AUGUST 5  - 5 Steps To Danger 1:30AM - Journey into Fear12:30 PM - The Stranger 2PM - Mr. Arkadin 4:00PM - The Third Man  8PM - Lady from Shanghai 10PM

TUE, AUGUST 9 - The Big Clock 12AM - Sunset Blvd. 8:00PM 

THU, AUGUST 11 - The Manchurian Candidate 8:00PM * Transitional Noir

SAT, AUGUST 13 - A Streetcar Named Desire 8:00PM (For me a Drama Noir with Stanley the homme fatale to Blanche Dubois)

SUN, AUGUST 14 - Reflections in a Golden Eye 2:00AM * Transitional Noir

THU, AUGUST 18 - I Died a Thousand Times 1:15PM - The Night of the Hunter 10:15PM 

FRI, AUGUST 19 - He Ran All the Way 2:00AM

SAT, AUGUST 20 - High and Low 1:30AM - Possessed 11:15AM - Mildred Pierce  8:00PM

SUN, AUGUST 21 - Flamingo Road 12:00AM - The Damned Don't Cry 2:00AM

TUE, AUGUST 23 - The Strip 6:15PM 

WED, AUGUST 24 - Bullitt 6:00 PM * Transitional Noir

SAT, AUGUST 27 - The Asphalt Jungle 7:30AM

SUN, AUGUST 28 - Clash by Night 4:00AM 

TUE, AUGUST 30 - The Good Humor Man 10:00PM * Black Comedy Noir

WED, AUGUST 31 - Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb 8:00PM * Black Comedy Noir - nothing Noir-er than the Apocalypse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Johnny2Bad said:

How bout next year you pick actors who have been in one Noir so we can bring in Eddie Muller on Saturday during SUTS?  Only need four for the month. 
Thoughts?

Great idea!  I miss Eddie and Noir Alley during SUTS and the Oscar month.  It seems very feasible to work them into the mix.

(That said, I wouldn’t want to deprive Eddie of a break if that’s what he’d prefer.)

6 minutes ago, BingFan said:

Great idea!  I miss Eddie and Noir Alley during SUTS and the Oscar month.  It seems very feasible to work them into the mix.

(That said, I wouldn’t want to deprive Eddie of a break if that’s what he’d prefer.)

They tape all the intros and outros in advance (I do know that he has a Noir City Chicago coming up soon  if I remember right.)

• Thanks 1