Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And this guy's always been a strong conservative and GOP voice.

Trump is biggest RINO of all

Let's talk about the big RINO in the room.

Donald Trump and his legions have shunned, exiled and silenced loyal Republicans who've refused to pledge their unquestioning allegiance to the former president. They've labeled them RINOs, for Republicans in Name Only.

The epithet has been applied to some most unlikely targets. South Carolina Sen.

Lindsay Graham has been called a RINO, as has Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, former Michigan Gov. John Engler as well as a long list of state and local officials who refused to intervene in the 2020 election count on Trump's behalf.

It's not just name-calling. Trump engages in what he calls RINO hunts, seeking to destroy the political careers of those Republicans who've dared defy him. Witness Rep. Peter Meijer of Grand Rapids, who was hit with a successful primary challenge because of his vote to impeach Trump.

Most who wear the RINO badge have been stalwart supporters of the GOP, and have worked to advance Republican and conservative causes.

They stand in contrast to Trump, who has done nothing for the Republican Party other than to tear it down piece by piece. He's not a Republican; the GOP is just the infrastructure on which he's hoisted his enormous ego. He's a narcissist whose only principle is self-indulgence.

Trump would rather see a Democrat elected than a Republican who doesn't kiss his ring.

Look at the damage Trump has done to the party and conservativism.

The $1 trillion spending bill passed last week to massively expand the size and scope of the federal government would not have been possible had Trump not thrown a temper tantrum after his 2020 election loss and handed control of the Senate to Democrats. A half-million GOP voters in Georgia stayed home for the run-off elections at the urging of Trump allies, leading to the defeat of two incumbent Republicans. Had just one of them survived, the Democratic assaults on personal freedoms and responsible governing wouldn't have been possible.

Trump is also behind the dimming hopes of the GOP to retake the Senate this year. He intervened in the Pennsylvania and Ohio primaries, tipping the nominations to two out-of-themainstream candidates who are trailing significantly in the polls. If they lose in November, that's two more Republican seats gone.

Republicans were once looking to claim 50-60 new House seats this fall and control of the chamber. But following the Supreme Court's abortion ruling and the nomination of a slate of Trumpsters, that expectation has plunged.

The party's Trump wing placed pleasing him ahead of winning Congress. Why else would they sacrifice a sure thing in Michigan's Meijer?

Trump is is now dropping broad hints that he's ready to announce his 2024 presidential bid.

No less a loyalist than former Arkansas Gov.

Mike Huckabee is urging him to wait until after the election, warning it would be a distraction for Republicans (he meant disaster).

A distraction is what Trump wants to be. He wants all of the attention, to be the sole influencer on the party and its undisputed master.

If the price is turning over the nation to progressive Democrats, the biggest RINO of all could care less.

Twitter: @NolanFinleyDN Sign up for the Nolan Out Loud morning report at detroitnews.com/newsletters.

ajax-request.php?val=Image_4.jpg&action=loadImage&type=Image&pSetup=detroitfreepress&issue=20220814&crc=tdnbrd_d_08-14-2022_b_a_030_w-or9.pdf.0&edition=Detroit%20Free%20Press&paperImage=detroitnews&mtime=550E22E0

NOLAN FINLEY

Sepiatone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Donald Trump and his legions have shunned, exiled and silenced loyal Republicans who've refused to pledge their unquestioning allegiance to the former president. They've labeled them RINOs, for Republicans in Name Only.

Lindsay Graham has been called a RINO, as has Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, former Michigan Gov. John Engler as well as a long list of state and local officials who refused to intervene in the 2020 election count on Trump's behalf.

It's not just name-calling. Trump engages in what he calls RINO hunts, seeking to destroy the political careers of those Republicans who've dared defy him. Witness Rep. Peter Meijer of Grand Rapids, who was hit with a successful primary challenge because of his vote to impeach Trump.

Most who wear the RINO badge have been stalwart supporters of the GOP, and have worked to advance Republican and conservative causes.

They stand in contrast to Trump, who has done nothing for the Republican Party other than to tear it down piece by piece. He's not a Republican; the GOP is just the infrastructure on which he's hoisted his enormous ego. He's a narcissist whose only principle is self-indulgence.

Trump would rather see a Democrat elected than a Republican who doesn't kiss his ring.

The $1 trillion spending bill passed last week to massively expand the size and scope of the federal government would not have been possible had Trump not thrown a temper tantrum after his 2020 election loss and handed control of the Senate to Democrats. A half-million GOP voters in Georgia stayed home for the run-off elections at the urging of Trump allies, leading to the defeat of two incumbent Republicans. Had just one of them survived, the Democratic assaults on personal freedoms and responsible governing wouldn't have been possible.

Trump is also behind the dimming hopes of the GOP to retake the Senate this year. He intervened in the Pennsylvania and Ohio primaries, tipping the nominations to two out-of-themainstream candidates who are trailing significantly in the polls. If they lose in November, that's two more Republican seats gone.

Republicans were once looking to claim 50-60 new House seats this fall and control of the chamber. But following the Supreme Court's abortion ruling and the nomination of a slate of Trumpsters, that expectation has plunged.

The party's Trump wing placed pleasing him ahead of winning Congress. Why else would they sacrifice a sure thing in Michigan's Meijer?

Trump is is now dropping broad hints that he's ready to announce his 2024 presidential bid.

Mike Huckabee is urging him to wait until after the election, warning it would be a distraction for Republicans (he meant disaster).

A distraction is what Trump wants to be. He wants all of the attention, to be the sole influencer on the party and its undisputed master.

If the price is turning over the nation to progressive Democrats, the biggest RINO of all could care less.

Twitter: @NolanFinleyDN Sign up for the Nolan Out Loud morning report at detroitnews.com/newsletters.

ajax-request.php?val=Image_4.jpg&action=loadImage&type=Image&pSetup=detroitfreepress&issue=20220814&crc=tdnbrd_d_08-14-2022_b_a_030_w-or9.pdf.0&edition=Detroit%20Free%20Press&paperImage=detroitnews&mtime=550E22E0

NOLAN FINLEY

Sepiatone

This appears to be an older column, but it still states the truth.  The Republican Party has become the Trump Party and Trump is biggest RINO of all.  In fact, those who support Trump and vote for Trump are RINO's in reality.

I watched part of a news show this morning where an eminently qualified historian spoke about a meeting a group of historians had.  Bottom line:  American democracy is being threatened as much as, if not more so, than in the 1930's  when Father Charles Coughlin was agitating on radio for some Nazi policies and anti-Semitism.  Also for nationalization of railroads, industries and so forth.

At the same time Huey Long of Louisiana was agitating for an autocracy with him in charge.  He came very close to getting a Democratic nomination for president.

WW II put an end to Coughlin and an assassin put an end to Huey Long.   The patriotism of WW II also quieted down the people who supported an autocratic government or the far right and far left policies many people believed in.  Then the economic boom of post WW II kept it tamped down - until along came Trump.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, ElCid said:

This appears to be an older column, but it still states the truth.  The Republican Party has become the Trump Party and Trump is biggest RINO of all.  In fact, those who support Trump and vote for Trump are RINO's in reality.

It mentions a 1 trillion  dollar bill that was passed last week.

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Do you know what's in this sausage.? He doesn't like what the democrats are doing but he saying Trump enabled them to do it.

2 hours ago, Marysara1 said:

It mentions a 1 trillion  dollar bill that was passed last week.

Last week's spending bill was not $1 Trillion.  The "$1 Trillion" bill was the infrastructure bill passed a few months ago.

2 hours ago, Marysara1 said:

Do you know what's in this sausage.? He doesn't like what the democrats are doing but he saying Trump enabled them to do it.

Your point?

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

NOLAN FINLEY

Sepiatone

I don't know why more isn't said about this. Trump is the reason the senate is in Democratic hands. His hand picked goofy sub par senate candidates will be the reason the GOP loses even more senate seats in the fall and may not even take enough House seats to gain control. He makes fools out of his followers and they just say "more please". 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I don't know why more isn't said about this. Trump is the reason the senate is in Democratic hands. His hand picked goofy sub par senate candidates will be the reason the GOP loses even more senate seats in the fall and may not even take enough House seats to gain control. He makes fools out of his followers and they just say "more please". 

Dats right

15 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

It has been well covered in the non-Trump media.

However, only a few Republicans in office feel comfortable saying anything negative about Der Trumper.   They are fearful of losing in the primaries or losing money.  Most, if not all, got to where they are by being gutless cowards when it comes to pointing out anything negative about Republicans or Republican policies.

They have also learned the penalty for saying negative things about Der Trumper.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marysara1 said:

I don't understand you guys isn't there a saying not to interrupt when your opponent is making a mistake?

No.  Just not to interrupt when your opponent or anybody else is talking. (remember Trump in his debates with Biden?  ;) ) 

Sepiatone

16 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I've never heard of him. Local Detroit guy? 

But he's not saying anything #NeverTrump hasn't been saying since 2015. 

Yeah, Nolan has been an editorial columnist for the Detroit News for many years.  The Detroit News is considered the right-wing paper 'round here.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

By the way Cid.

They deleted another thread of mine, no doubt due to it being critical of the mods( who think the handle synonymous with "Gods")  I again answered a notification that informed me that you quoted me.  And I again didn't have "permission" to read content and didn't know what you quoted and replied.  And in an attempt to PM you I was informed that you're "not accepting" messages.

What gives? (you can PM me since I am accepting messages.)

Sepiatone

14 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

By the way Cid.

They deleted another thread of mine, no doubt due to it being critical of the mods( who think the handle synonymous with "Gods")  I again answered a notification that informed me that you quoted me.  And I again didn't have "permission" to read content and didn't know what you quoted and replied.  And in an attempt to PM you I was informed that you're "not accepting" messages.

What gives? (you can PM me since I am accepting messages.)

Sepiatone

Didn't know I was not accepting messages.  Have no idea what I quoted you about though.

Checked my profile and I don't see anything to indicate not accepting messages.

• Thanks 1

"El Cid cannot receive messages"  Because the dummy has never emptied his inbox.😀  Contacted mods and they told me what to do.  So, it should work now.

• Like 1