Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is TCM dying because they have refused to listen to the voices of their viewers?...

5 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I doan even drink vino. I'm a ginger ale man. seagram's is the best.

(...Suuuure, you don't.  That's why we get threads like this.)   😅

• Haha 4

Actually Nip, I've just come upon a copy of TCM's latest Nielsen Ratings and which even contains a demographic breakdown of their viewers.

Overall, TCM's ratings continue to be relatively strong and with very little dropoff of its viewership during the past few years. 

81.7% of those age 50-80 think TCM's present programming is just fine. The other 19.3% are either people who'll post but once on these boards, aka "One Post Wonders", and will complain, that one time mind you, about the direction of TCM's programming of late, OR are people just like yourself. 

77.7% of those age 25-49 think TCM just shows "old movies" that primarily appeal to the above mentioned demographic.

AND...

93.8% of those age 18-24 have no clue what TCM even is, and because they're too damn busy playing their little computer games and/or are texting away on their cellphones 24/7, and/or only ever watch movies that are about superheroes.

And so see? You just must be in the minority of TCM viewers who feel as you do, that's all.

(...OH, I almost forgot to mention earlier here that apparently ONLY 3.5% of the first noted demographic above think Ben Mankiewicz has a nasally voice...yeah, I know...you'd think THAT number would've been MUCH higher, now wouldn't YA?!)

• Like 3

Let me help you with that title: is TCM dying because they have refused to listen to the voices of their viewers who are over 65 ?

I don't think TCM is dying at all. But, I'm sure they are leaning towards a younger demographic. If you see what's happening to Cable/Satellite vs. Streaming channels, its obvious as to why. If you saw the crowds at the film festival , pre covid. They were pretty big. Not too many seniors out there in that heat doing all that standing around in the sun.

I wouldn't be outside standing in the Sun, either, and I'm only 49.  I'm past roasting in the heat if I can help it.

Hey, here's a great idea!  Play BECK's 1993 song "Loser" in between movies all the time.  I dig the 'stream-of-conciousness' lyrics.  

The last 3 lines go like this:

Soy un perdedor (think it means "I am a loser" in Spanish)

I'm a loser baby

So why doncha kill me? 

:D

Good topic Nip.

No one knows what the future holds but things do change and adaptation is a given. I have faith there will be a Renaissance with classic Golden Age films in the future.

“TCM amongst filmmakers is considered holy ground,” said director Paul Thomas Anderson. “Politically neutral, essential and unimpeachable in its dedication to film history. There is nothing like it and it should be protected.”

>>>https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-06-22/tcm-fights-to-keep-classic-film-alive-on-tv-in-a-streaming-worldows

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I wouldn't be outside standing in the Sun, either, and I'm only 49.  I'm past roasting in the heat if I can help it.

"FORTY-NINE"???!!!

Wow, Mr.G.! Gotta say this sounds kind'a, well, wimpy to me here, dude.

I mean heck, I play tennis twice a week and occasionally THRICE a week, and during the summers by the time I've run around the court for two-plus hours, it's often reached 90-plus degrees by the time I'm done under this sunny northern Arizona sun. And I'M 70 freakin' years OLD, for goshsakes!

And heck for THAT matter, one of my fellow tennis players just turned 83, and you would NOT believe how fast HE can still move out there. I often tell Stan that he's my hero and hope to be JUST as good out there on the court as HE is when I'M that old.

And...and...

(...hmmm...now what was this thread here about again?????)

LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 years of brain damage will do funny things to a person!  🤪   🧠  It's amazing I'm as normal as I am!  :D 

No tennis for me.  My left hip is held together with 7 screws and 2 plates.  All I'd need is to take a 'hard fall' and bust myself up some more.  So I gotta pass on the tennis.   🎾

11 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

22 years of brain damage will do funny things to a person!  🤪   🧠  It's amazing I'm as normal as I am!  :D 

LOL

11 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

No tennis for me.  My left hip is held together with 7 screws and 2 plates.  All I'd need is to take a 'hard fall' and bust myself up some more.  So I gotta pass on the tennis.   🎾

Sorry to hear it.

(...I suppose I much too often take my good fortune of having good health for granted, and you've just reminded me of how lucky I am in this regard...thanks)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMadness said:

The problem for TCM is they can't make the old movies woke.

Yes, that is something they are struggling with...and the conservative viewers who don't want a woke agenda preached to them are also struggling, for a different reason.

A comment posted above said TCM is politically neutral and I think that is not true at all. TCM has a very discernible left of center political agenda and this is fine for people who subscribe to that...but it's painful for those who do not.  

The thread should be titled "TCM refuses to listen to the voices of its conservative viewers."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If they'd  stop shoving  their pc, blacklist,  radical left, red commie  agitprop down peoples'  throats maybe they could  regain some

patriotic Americans back as  viewers, but I don't expect that to happen  anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

If they'd  stop shoving  their pc, blacklist,  radical left, red commie  agitprop down peoples'  throats maybe they could  regain some

patriotic Americans back as  viewers, but I don't expect that to happen  anytime soon.

Ya know, Vautrin. If you were tryin' to sound like Nip here, you shouldn't have capitalized that first letter in your sentence up there.

(...but other than THAT, good job here, dude!)  ;)

LOL

7 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

TCM is dying because their viewers are.

I heard a joke on a game show the other day: True or False, the AARP has its own award show "Movies for Grown Ups" ?

The comedian goes: True, its 5 minutes of awards. And two hours of "In Memoriam"

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I heard a joke on a game show the other day: True or False, the AARP has its own award show "Movies for Grown Ups" ?

The comedian goes: True, its 5 minutes of awards. And two hours of "In Memoriam"

Did they bring back Hollywood Squares?  They've resurrected every other game show...

• Like 1

Hi All,

First, I am a one-time poster so let me acknowledge that right away.  I just don’t participate that much in forums like this, but my wife and I have absolutely loved TCM and are longtime viewers. Our age demographic is 57/66.

Being a one-time poster but at the same time a TCM lover, I would like to ask the group  a question and see if it aligns with our view of TCM:  - Both my wife and I feel the quality and type of movie now showing on TCM has taken a significant downturn since the involvement of HBO.  We don’t really care that much about the logos et cetera, it’s more of the content in the movies.  I will tell you we have always watched  TCM so much in our house, and every day, that I feel pretty fair in saying we have a very good sense of the movies and the topics that are flowing on TCM day to day.  Nowadays, when we want to see what there is to watch we find the amount of movies that are just junk or lower quality is significantly higher than before.  At the same time when we go over to HBO, we find a nice selection of movies out of the HBO TCM section that seem to indicate HBO is simply bleeding the quality out of TCM so they can show it over there and at the same time going lower in the bin to pull up replacements, so to speak,  for all the stuff that’s being vacated on TCM.  As I said, we are two longtime watchers and one thing that is strikingly obvious to us is the amount of time we are not watching TCM over the past months because of the low quality of programming. 
At the same time, what we have started watch drama series and other things on Netflix (and other streaming services) which attract our interest.  We’re investing time to watch that instead of TCM.  To us, TCM is no longer the station of choice, the one that stands head and shoulders above the others when it comes to what we like to watch.  Now, TCM is a stopover  I.e. “ is there anything good on TCM tonight?” 
Are we wrong about this? 

Thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVX JO said:

Hi All,

First, I am a one-time poster so let me acknowledge that right away.  I just don’t participate that much in forums like this, but my wife and I have absolutely loved TCM and are longtime viewers. Our age demographic is 57/66.

Being a one-time poster but at the same time in TCM lover I would like to ask the group  a question and see if it aligns with our view of TCM:  - Both my wife and I feel the quality and type of movie now showing on TCM has taken a significant downturn since the involvement of HBO.  We don’t really care that much about the logos et cetera, it’s more of the content in the movies.  I will tell you we watch TCM so much in our house, and every day, that I feel pretty fair in saying we have a very good sense of the movies and the topics that are flowing on TCM day to day.  Nowadays when we want to see what there is to watch we find the amount of movies that are just junk or lower quality is significantly higher than before.  At the same time when we go over to HBO, we find a nice selection of movies out of the HBO TCM section that seem to indicate HBO is simply bleeding the quality out of TCM so they can show it over there and at the same time going Lower in the bin to pull up replacements, so to speak,  for all the stuff that’s being vacated on TCM.  As I said, we are two longtime watchers and one thing that is strikingly obvious to us is the amount of time we are not watching TCM over the past months because of the low quality of programming. 
At the same time, what we have started watch drama series and other things on Netflix (and other streaming services) which attract our interest.  We’re investing time to watch that instead of TCM.  To us, TCM is no longer the station of choice, the one that stands head and shoulders above the others when it comes to what we like to watch.  Now, TCM is a stopover  I.e. “ is there anything good on TCM tonight?” 
Are we wrong about this? 

Thanks

In addition to HBO, they are also working in tandem with Criterion and the Criterion Channel has a selection of golden age films now from the Turner Library that would normally be airing on TCM. It does seem like they are trying to make money across different platforms and that the original TCM channel has been given short shrift as a result.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CVX JO said:

Hi All,

Being a one-time poster but at the same time a TCM lover, I would like to ask the group  a question and see if it aligns with our view of TCM:  - Both my wife and I feel the quality and type of movie now showing on TCM has taken a significant downturn since the involvement of HBO.  We don’t really care that much about the logos et cetera, it’s more of the content in the movies.  I will tell you we have always watched  TCM so much in our house, and every day, that I feel pretty fair in saying we have a very good sense of the movies and the topics that are flowing on TCM day to day.  Nowadays, when we want to see what there is to watch we find the amount of movies that are just junk or lower quality is significantly higher than before.  At the same time when we go over to HBO, we find a nice selection of movies out of the HBO TCM section that seem to indicate HBO is simply bleeding the quality out of TCM so they can show it over there and at the same time going lower in the bin to pull up replacements, so to speak,  for all the stuff that’s being vacated on TCM.  As I said, we are two longtime watchers and one thing that is strikingly obvious to us is the amount of time we are not watching TCM over the past months because of the low quality of programming. 
Are we wrong about this? 

Thanks

There is a database that list the movies shown by decade;  overall by year TCM hasn't changed much,  if at all;  I.e. still over 80% of the films shown are American studio-era movies (roughly talking pictures from 1929 - 1968).       Some months will be less:  E.g.  July had some theme programming that increase the showing of more recent films;  E.g. films directed by woman or blacks;   Since few films were directed by such individuals during the American studio-era,  TCM had to show more recent films.  Of course they could just not have such theme programming but that is another topic.     Note that July wasn't a "good month" for me since I come to TCM for American studio-era films.  

Anyhow,  for September over 84% of the films will be American studio-era films.    

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ya know, Vautrin. If you were tryin' to sound like Nip here, you shouldn't have capitalized that first letter in your sentence up there.

(...but other than THAT, good job here, dude!)  ;)

LOL

AND he should have used "doan" instead of "don't".  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, that is something they are struggling with...and the conservative viewers who don't want a woke agenda preached to them are also struggling, for a different reason.

A comment posted above said TCM is politically neutral and I think that is not true at all. TCM has a very discernible left of center political agenda and this is fine for people who subscribe to that...but it's painful for those who do not.  

The thread should be titled "TCM refuses to listen to the voices of its conservative viewers."

Yeah, in no way is TCM politically neutral, outside of Eddie, whose politics i know nothing about (which is how i prefer things), the rest of their presenters are all on the left and don't hide it.  For me, when Alicia Malone interjected ridiculous comments about 'reverse racism' in film i no longer can recall the title of straight off my head, it totally pulled me out of the story.  Ben is one of the faces of the young turks- i can only imagine the backlash if Michael Mendev or Ben Shapiro (both who review films as part of their respective radio shows) were to be a host of TCM.  Anyway, i've never hid my disdain for politics and i don't like it when it seeps into places it has no place to be.

But, my fear for TCM is that it will eventually chase money/viewers over content and start airing newer and newer films to where it is no longer recognizable.  I'm a newer fan, so can't say how it's changed so far over the years.  But i am old enough to remember when MTV actually played music which it now has none of.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

Yeah, in no way is TCM politically neutral, outside of Eddie, whose politics i know nothing about (which is how i prefer things), the rest of their presenters are all on the left and don't hide it.  For me, when Alicia Malone interjected ridiculous comments about 'reverse racism' in film i no longer can recall the title of straight off my head, it totally pulled me out of the story.  Ben is one of the faces of the young turks- i can only imagine the backlash if Michael Mendev or Ben Shapiro (both who review films as part of their respective radio shows) were to be a host of TCM.  Anyway, i've never hid my disdain for politics and i don't like it when it seeps into places it has no place to be.

But, my fear for TCM is that it will eventually chase money/viewers over content and start airing newer and newer films to where it is no longer recognizable.  I'm a newer fan, so can't say how it's changed so far over the years.  But i am old enough to remember when MTV actually played music which it now has none of.

Great post. I am okay with on-air commentators being political in some way. What I am NOT okay with is when they think everyone else has to share their particular ideas or notions. It's insulting and doesn't take into account a variety of viewpoints and experiences. It's ignorant, actually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1