Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Declassified?

cigarjoe

8 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Former President Trump claimed he had declassified the seized documents. Here’s how declassification works.

here

While Trumpers and Dems,  are making a  big deal out of the "Trump declassified the seized docs",   I really don't think that is much of an issue.

I.e.   if Trump didn't follow procedure (which he clearly didn't),  in declassifying said docs,   that is a very weak case for the DOJ  (if that is  the DOJ's main case).    I.e. a procedural case against a former President would look petty (and in many ways it is).

What would make the issue of declassification very relevant,  would be if once Trump was advised about the procedure to declassify,  he still refused to return said document OR he (via his attorneys),  lied and said they no longer had said documents.     I.e.  that the Trump legal team refused to cooperate with Federal officials after being advised the procedural process of declassification wasn't followed,  and thus the documents are NOT declassified (just because Trump and his legal team says they are). 

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

What would make the issue of declassification very relevant,  would be if once Trump was advised about the procedure to declassify,  he still refused to return said document OR he (via his attorneys),  lied and said they no longer had said documents.     I.e.  that the Trump legal team refused to cooperate with Federal officials after being advised the procedural process of declassification wasn't followed,  and thus the documents are NOT declassified (just because Trump and his legal team says they are). 

I think the problem with the jury would be they wouldn't know what information was classified. So, it would be a catch 22. Even NBC downplayed it.‘It worried people all the time': How Trump’s handling of secret documents led to the FBI’s Mar-a-Lago search (nbcnews.com)

1 hour ago, Marysara1 said:

I think the problem with the jury would be they wouldn't know what information was classified. So, it would be a catch 22. Even NBC downplayed it.‘It worried people all the time': How Trump’s handling of secret documents led to the FBI’s Mar-a-Lago search (nbcnews.com)

The jury would not have to know.  All they need to know is that Trump removed classified documents from the White House in violation of federal laws.  Regardless of how he handled documents while president, he is no longer president.  He has no more "authority" to possess classified documents than you or I.  He is a civilian.

While the MAGA crowd is trying to come up with something to explain away crimes that were probably committed and demonize the FBI and the DOJ; I have two questions: why did Trump take the documents, lie about returning them and what was he planning to do with them?

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

The jury would not have to know.  All they need to know is that Trump removed classified documents from the White House in violation of federal laws.  Regardless of how he handled documents while president, he is no longer president.  He has no more "authority" to possess classified documents than you or I.  He is a civilian.

This could perhaps be a quick slam dunk like the Steve Bannon contempt trial.  The issues could be kept simple.

But I suspect they are going to want to get to a few other issues before indicting him.

Who else was involved in taking these documents?

And what did he plan to do with them and has he already exposed them to anyone else?

13 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

While the MAGA crowd is trying to come up with something to explain away crimes that were probably committed and demonize the FBI and the DOJ; I have two questions: why did Trump take the documents, lie about returning them and what was he planning to do with them?

I'll answer every one of these questions from what I assume is Trump's POV:

Why did you take the documents:  Because I wanted them to assist me in the writing of my memoirs.

Why did you lie about returning them:  I didn't lie - I told Federal authorities that all confidential documents  were returned.

What were you planning on doing with them:    Asked and answered;   to assist me in the writing of my memoirs just like Obama is doing. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I'll answer every one of these questions from what I assume is Trump's POV:

Why did you take the documents:  Because I wanted them to assist me in the writing of my memoirs.

Why did you lie about returning them:  I didn't lie - I told Federal authorities that all confidential documents  were returned.

What were you planning on doing with them:    Asked and answered;   to assist me in the writing of my memoirs just like Obama is doing. 

Had a conversation with a friend yesterday, who is easily manipulated by the Trumpists media.  He had read or heard about the FBI and DOJ not doing anything with all the documents Obama took to Chicago.

I explained that the documents were stored in appropriate places with appropriate safeguards in the Obama library.  His reply, "Oh, I hadn't heard that."  

• Thanks 1