Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New York Primary

Swithin

We are having our second primary of the summer in New York on Tuesday, August 23. The main business in many districts is to select Democratic candidates for Congress. In my district, redistricting has pit two giants of the House of Representatives against each other: Jerrold Nadler and Carolyn Maloney. There is also a third candidate, Suraj Patel.

Early voting has begun, but I will vote as usual on Election Day. And I will vote for my long-time Congressman, Jerry Nadler, who lives around the corner from me. Carolyn Maloney was briefly my Congressperson many years ago, before I moved to this neighbourhood. She's ok, but Nadler is preferable. He's currently the Chair of the House Judiciary Committee. (I don't like Patel at all.)

In the earlier primary in June, we voted for the Gubernatorial candidates. I was happy to vote for Kathy Hochul, who won. She replaced Andrew Cuomo, when he resigned last year.

Primary winners will face the general electorate in November, but the Democrats will almost certainly win.

0fdf7a71-ba8f-4ea3-a0fd-0fbd6268f443.jpg

Jerrold Nadler

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I voted for Congressman Nadler today.

I voted for the sole Democrat in the non-partisan School Board primary. I expect him to come in dead last. The other two, Republicans both, had a much larger campaign treasury (their signs are everywhere), and they both claimed to be endorsed by Trump, and vowed to fight CRT and LGBTQ "wokeism". 

That was the only race I could vote in as an Independent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I voted for the sole Democrat in the non-partisan School Board primary. I expect him to come in dead last. The other two, Republicans both, had a much larger campaign treasury (their signs are everywhere), and they both claimed to be endorsed by Trump, and vowed to fight CRT and LGBTQ "wokeism". 

What is it to "fight CRT and LGBTQ wokeism???"   

I assume you voted in the Democratic primary for governor and senator as well. 

On 8/15/2022 at 6:03 PM, Swithin said:

He actually used to be chubbier all around, but had one of those procedures.

He had a serious probably genetic problem with obesity until that procedure.  Did you know that procedure cures type two diabetes?  Immediately after surgery, before the patient has a chance to lose a pound, if they are diabetic their blood sugar normalizes. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

What is it to "fight CRT and LGBTQ wokeism???"   

I assume you voted in the Democratic primary for governor and senator as well. 

No, as a registered Independent I am unable to vote in any of the partisan primaries. 

As for the "wokeism" thing, I take it to mean they will ban teaching about slavery, civil rights, and any mention of gays or trans issues. You know, the usual.

41 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I voted for Congressman Nadler today.

210312111756-jerry-nadler-200624-file-la

I'm curious why you didn't vote for the 38 year old when the other two choices were Nadler at 75 and the other candidate being 78.

Like the 38 year old said:  the Dem party needs some young blood.      I believe that is true especially at the national leadership positions.

42 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I'm curious why you didn't vote for the 38 year old when the other two choices were Nadler at 75 and the other candidate being 78.

Like the 38 year old said:  the Dem party needs some young blood.      I believe that is true especially at the national leadership positions.

You make my point. The 38 year old has been making outrageous, ageist comments, as he did last time, when he ran against Maloney in her then district on the East Side. I don't like Patel at all, I met him briefly when he was campaigning in front of one of my markets, which is sort of a focal point of the immediate neighbourhood.

For decades, southerners have controlled all the committee chairmanships, because they sent the same people back to congress time after time. Now, with Nadler, we have the Judiciary chair (hopefully which we will retain in November). Carolyn Maloney is a chair, too, but not as important. Also, Nadler has been great for the neighborhood; he lives around the corner from me. It will be interesting to see the outcome, it's basically the East Side vs. the West Side. The districts used to run up/downtown, but they cut through Central Park in this redistricting!

I was sorry to see Ms. Maloney resort to identity politics. Her TV adverts refer a lot to the abortion issue, and end with her saying "Don't send a man to do a woman's job!" The irony, of course, is that NARAL and Elizabeth Warren (and The New York Times) have endorsed Jerry Nadler.

I hope the other Maloney wins though: Sean Patrick, who is running in another New York district.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Oh Lawrence, you're such an independent. You're always on the fence about everything! 😉

1 minute ago, Swithin said:

Oh Lawrence, you're such an independent. You're always on the fence about everything! 😉

I can't help that the Republican candidates are all a bunch of scumbags and morons. 

Take the school board race that I was eligible to vote for: neither of the two Republicans did door-to-door campaigning, and one of them lives 7 houses down from me. The Democrat not only knocked on doors, he also had a plan of improvements to the local school system and how to address them all. Meanwhile, the Republicans' mailers just listed how they support Trump, hate Joe Biden, and will fight "the woke". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I can't help that the Republican candidates are all a bunch of scumbags and morons. 

Take the school board race that I was eligible to vote for: neither of the two Republicans did door-to-door campaigning, and one of them lives 7 houses down from me. The Democrat not only knocked on doors, he also had a plan of improvements to the local school system and how to address them all. Meanwhile, the Republicans' mailers just listed how they support Trump, hate Joe Biden, and will fight "the woke". 

Since FL doesn't have open primaries,  why not join the Dem party so you can vote in Dem primaries.

14 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Since FL doesn't have open primaries,  why not join the Dem party so you can vote in Dem primaries.

Because then I'd be a Democrat. 🤢🤮

Oh, and the results are in : my guy did indeed come in last. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Because then I'd be a Democrat. 🤢🤮

Oh, and the results are in : my guy did indeed come in last. 

I'd be practical about this Lawrence. If you register as a Democrat you get to vote in their primaries. Does Florida allow you to do same day switching so if the Democratic nominee is set in stone you can vote in the GOP primary and pick the lesser of two evils? 

4 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I'd be practical about this Lawrence. If you register as a Democrat you get to vote in their primaries. Does Florida allow you to do same day switching so if the Democratic nominee is set in stone you can vote in the GOP primary and pick the lesser of two evils? 

I didn't realize Lawrence lived in Florida. If he had registered as a Democrat, he could have voted for the gubernatorial and senatorial candidates.

Just now, Swithin said:

I didn't realize Lawrence lived in Florida. If he had registered as a Democrat, he could have voted for the gubernatorial and senatorial candidates.

Here in Virginia you do not have to register with a party to vote in either primary. You, of course, can't vote in both primaries. But the GOP sure makes it sound like if you are really a Democrat and vote in their primary and they find out they'll eat your first born.  It's just a bunch of unenforceable nonsense meant to discourage people from voting in their primaries. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Here in Virginia you do not have to register with a party to vote in either primary. You, of course, can't vote in both primaries. But the GOP sure makes it sound like if you are really a Democrat and vote in their primary and they find out they'll eat your first born.  It's just a bunch of unenforceable nonsense meant to discourage people from voting in their primaries. 

In New York, we can only vote in our party's primaries. I think that's a good thing.  I liked the ranked choice option we had in last year's primary, for Mayor and a few other local NYC offices. I wish they would do that for all races. It was a very local rule, only NYC, and only in primaries, not for the State or Federal offices.

For example, I was happy that Dan Goldman won his primary for US House for another part of NYC last night. But he won with 27% of the vote, in a field that had about ten candidates. I don't think that's right.

1 minute ago, Swithin said:

In New York, we can only vote in our party's primaries. I think that's a good thing.  I liked the ranked choice option we had in last year's primary, for Mayor and a few other local NYC offices. I wish they would do that for all races. It was a very local rule, only NYC, and only in primaries, not for the State or Federal offices.

For example, I was happy that Dan Goldman won his primary for US House for another part of NYC last night. But he won with 27% of the vote, in a field that had about ten candidates. I don't think that's right.

I agree that ranked choice voting is the way to go. I wish we could vote for president that way.

14 hours ago, Swithin said:

You make my point. The 38 year old has been making outrageous, ageist comments, as he did last time, when he ran against Maloney in her then district on the East Side. I don't like Patel at all, I met him briefly when he was campaigning in front of one of my markets, which is sort of a focal point of the immediate neighbourhood.

Clearly younger candidates shouldn't be against an opponent just because of their age.   My point was about being in office for decades.  I.e. fresh blood being someone new to the position instead of the incumbent again, and again, and again.  

PS:  This weeks The Economist is covering your local contest; E.g. they have a photo of Nadler.   

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

No, as a registered Independent I am unable to vote in any of the partisan primaries. 

As for the "wokeism" thing, I take it to mean they will ban teaching about slavery, civil rights, and any mention of gays or trans issues. You know, the usual.

Fortunately S.C. has open primaries.  The Republican Party hates it and wants them abolished, but the overwhelmingly Republican legislature refuses to do it - so far.

If I had to register, I would probably register as a Republican because in S.C. all the state-wide offices and all the local offices in my area are held by Democrats.  So, if I vote in the Democratic primary I will be voting for someone who will lose in Nov.  But if I vote in the Republican primary (and others such as I do as well) hopefully the most extreme right-wing Republicans will not win.

Also, probably 2/3's of local races and state-wide ones do not have a Democratic candidate or one that is credible running.

There has never been an instance that I know of where the Democratic Party or any other group in S.C. has encouraged Democrats and independents to vote in Republican primary for the candidate easiest to beat.