Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October 2022 Schedule Is Posted, Horror Films Throughout

• cmovieviewer changed the title to October 2022 Schedule Is Posted, Horror Films Throughout

Here we go! Hope I can make it through the month without all the horrible computer problems that plagued me while reporting on September.

Morning October 1 Saturday Matinee There are MGM cartoons, a Tarzan serial, Popeye, travel documentaries.  I'm only isting the features

White Bondage (Jean Muir, Gordon Oliver) (Warner Bros., 1937)
The Heavenly Body (William Powell, Hedy Lamarr) (MGM, 1944)
In Fast Company (Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall) (Monogram, 1946)

Afternoon They're all vaguely connected to the idea of boats, although we don't spend any time on a boat in one of the movies

Gulliver's Travels (Jessica Dragonette, Lenny Ross) (Paramount, 1939)
Captain Caution (Victor Mature, Louise Platt) (United Artists, 1940)
On the Waterfront (Marlon Brando, Eva Marie Saint) (Columbia, 1954)
Ship of Fools (Vivien Leigh, Simone Signoret) (Columbia, 1965)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for the heads up. Some people will be very unhappy.

Halloween has now become a month-long holiday on TCM. They don't give Christmas a full month of attention in December.

And the problem is?

I YAWN during 31 Days of Oscar and Summer Under the Stars.

As a Horror Film aficionado, I always eagerly look forward to TCM programming in October.

And as the October At a Glance PDF file graciously provided by cmovieviewer (Thank you!) shows, horror movies are not the only fare being offered during October.

In the advisory words of one TopBilled, regarding Horror and Science-Fiction films:

On 8/4/2022 at 10:23 AM, TopBilled said:

If they are not your cup of tea, then find something else to watch. Leave those films for their intended audience.

Primetime October 1 "Star" of the Month - SciFi and Horror Films

Metropolis (Brigitte Helm, Alfred Abel) (Dist. in the US by Paramount, 1927)
Forbidden Planet (Leslie Nielsen, Anne Francis) (MGM, 1956)

Noir Alley

The Red House (Edward G. Robinson, Judith Anderson) (United Artists, 1947)

Late Night Circuses

At the Circus (Groucho Marx, Chico Marx) (MGM, 1939)
Trapeze (Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis) (United Artists, 1956)

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

And the problem is?

As a Horror Film aficionado, I always eagerly look forward to TCM programming in October.

And as the October At a Glance PDF file graciously provided by cmovieviewer (Thank you!) shows, horror movies are not the only fare being offered during October.

In the advisory words of one TopBilled, regarding Horror and Science-Fiction films:

I did not say horror films were not my cup of tea. You have deliberately quoted me out of context to make a childish point. That seems wrong.

I do watch quite a few films every year in this genre. What I said, which you missed because you were in such a hurry to twist my words by citing a previous comment, is that some people will be very unhappy with seeing so much horror on TCM in October. So I think your problem will be with them not with me, since I am tolerant of holiday programming and see how TCM uses holidays to market itself to viewers.

For the record, I have never yawned about Summer Under the Stars or even 31 Days of Oscar like you admit doing. I have tolerance for those programming schemes as well. But the truth is, there are a lot of people who do not enjoy block programming events.

Anyway, I find it strange that you felt personally attacked or that you felt horror fans were being attacked. I think a reasonable person would acknowledge that some of TCM's programming can be a bit heavy-handed, but that they are creating themes they feel (erroneously sometimes) most people will enjoy.

One thing I want to add...I consider it a bit absurd that TCM's programmers think a genre (or in this case, a combination of two genres) should be considered a "star" of the month. 

It makes more sense to select an individual performer as Star of the Month, someone who is strongly associated with these genres, which is what they've done in the past.

Or they could have done a more sensible Group Star of the Month since they've done that before, and maybe concentrate on European horror stars, or scream queens for example.

My point-- they could be creative and think outside the box without blurring the definition of genre and star. This approach does not work for me, since it feels rather confusing and it also seems like a fancy way to just do another monthly theme. The Star of the Month concept is typically people-oriented.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I did not say horror films were not my cup of tea. You have deliberately quoted me out of context to make a childish point. That seems wrong.

I do watch quite a few films every year in this genre. What I said, which you missed because you were in such a hurry to twist my words by citing a previous comment, is that some people will be very unhappy with seeing so much horror on TCM in October. So I think your problem will be with them not with me, since I am tolerant of holiday programming and see how TCM uses holidays to market itself to viewers.

Don't get snippy with me, TopBilled!

Yes, I quoted you out of context. Nonetheless I considered the excerpt of your tart August 4 response to sewhite2000 apropos to this topic.

I inferred from the tone of your response that you objected to horror films and Halloween being celebrated during October.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Halloween has now become a month-long holiday on TCM. They don't give Christmas a full month of attention in December.

If you want Christmas to be more celebrated during December, take it up with the TCM programmers!

Here's another quote by you that I'm taking out of context (sue me!):

13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

TCM has a very discernible left of center political agenda and this is fine for people who subscribe to that...but it's painful for those who do not.

Christmas is a religious, arguably Christian (and I don't care to argue the matter!) celebration. Not everyone celebrates it. Cultural and religious demographics in America are changing. So maybe TCM leftists have their fingers on the pulses of Americans and are accordingly acknowledging and responding to the changing times and cultural landscape.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

And the problem is?

Complaints about horror films being heavily featured during October has been a regular occurrence every year since I've been coming here. Some people don't care for them, and voice their displeasure avidly. I can think of at least three more regulars who will likely post complaints about it before the week is out.

I always looked forward to the October schedule each year, until it got to the point where I'd seen everything, or had a copy of it on my self. I still enjoy the thought of others getting to see them for the first (or hundredth) time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Premieres listed so far....

Oct 2 - The Beloved Rogue (1927)
Oct 3 - Les visiteurs du soir (1942)
Oct 3 - Sylvia and the Phantom (1946)
Oct 4 - Sally (1930)
Oct 6 - Chameleon Street (1989)
Oct 6 - Suicide Squadron (1942)
Oct 8 - Oleanna (1994)
Oct 16 - Ronin (1998) [John Frankenheimer's last theatrical film hurrah. he would direct one more feature film after this, but it wasn't received well, although he had a strong career directing TV movies at this point]
Oct 16 - Yotsuya Kaidan, Part One (1949)
Oct 16 - Yotsuya Kaidan, Part Two (1949)
Oct 18 - So Ends Our Night (1941)
Oct 23 - Get Shorty (1995)
Oct 24 - Zeppelin (1970)
Oct 28 - Alligator (1980)
Oct 28 - Alligator II: The Mutation (1990)
Oct 29 - El Vampiro Negro (1953)
Oct 29 - Matinee (1993) [I have been curious about this one for a while.]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

I just wanna come on here and post my regurgitations of the schedule people can already see elsewhere! Flame wars bordered on going nuclear in a handful of posts. Some of the arguing is centered around a comment TopBilled directed at me when I discussed a subgenre of movies I didn't care much for, delivered in a tone of voice I also didn't much care for, but it happened, and I've moved on Not entirely sure there's a super-solid connection between those comments and the content of the current argument, but I don't want to get into it. I just want to crawl back into my bubble. Hopefully people won't get so angry with each other that this thread gets shut down, because where will I put my posts then?

Sha la la la 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Oct 2 - The Beloved Rogue (1927)
Oct 4 - Sally (1930)
Oct 6 - Chameleon Street (1989)
Oct 6 - Suicide Squadron (1942)
Oct 8 - Oleanna (1994)
Oct 16 - Ronin (1998) [John Frankenheimer's last theatrical film hurrah. he would direct one more feature film after this, but it wasn't received well, although he had a strong career directing TV movies at this point]
Oct 18 - So Ends Our Night (1941)
Oct 23 - Get Shorty (1995)
Oct 24 - Zeppelin (1970)
Oct 28 - Alligator (1980)
Oct 28 - Alligator II: The Mutation (1990)
Oct 29 - Matinee (1993) [I have been curious about this one for a while.]

El Vampiro Negro!

I'll definitely be tuning in for that Argentine Horror-Noir variation on M! I hope that the TCM presentation is better than the offering on YouTube.

MV5BMzE3NzZhOGQtMWEwMS00ZTJjLTg4MzUtMTc5

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

I recommend all of the above. I thought the last one had played on Noir Alley at least once.

• Like 1

I don't think Halloween and Christmas are analogous at all. Christmas is a holiday; Halloween is more a state of mind. Although once a pagan festival, perhaps a period of heightened "supernatural intensity heralding the onset of winter,” it has evolved into a celebration/exploration of mystery, with darker and lighter sides, which should be commemorated more often.  My favorite course in college (where I read Theology) was my Demonology course, where I learned a bit about the lovely chaps depicted below. I'm glad TCM is celebrating their like throughout the month of October (though I might have programmed the films somewhat differently).  Horror films are the folk tales and myths of the 20th and 21st centuries.

The_Ooser_2.jpg

Ill_dict_infernal_p0139-123_buer.jpg

• Like 3

Daytime October 2 Random Programming

The Housekeeper's Daugther (Joan Bennett, Adolphe Menjou) (United Artists, 1939)
Rhapsody in Blue (Robert Alda, Joan Leslie) (Warner Bros., 1945)

Then after the repeat airing of Noir Alley

The Talk of the Town (Cary Grant, Jean Arthur) (Columbia, 1942)
Flower Drum Song (Nancy Kwan, James Shigeta) (Universal, 1961)
Fiddler on the Roof (Topol, Norma Crane) (United Artists, 1971)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

One thing I want to add...I consider it a bit absurd that TCM's programmers think a genre (or in this case, a combination of two genres) should be considered a "star" of the month. 

It makes more sense to select an individual performer as Star of the Month, someone who is strongly associated with these genres, which is what they've done in the past.

I find this comment spot on. It does feel like a random spin on what they always do anyway, feature a lot of horror films, more semantics than anything substantive.

However, I would argue with the assertion they don't give Christmas "a full month of attention". Just wait until December and let's see how many dozens of Christmas movies there are. Wasn't it just last year they did a whole WEEK of nothing but Christmas movies? Yes, that wasn't the whole month, but it was a LOT of Christmas movies.

• Thanks 1

Where Are My Children? (1916)
A District Attorney discovers his wife is part of a secret abortion ring.
    Dir: null    Cast: [frederick] Tyrone Power, Helen Riaume, Marie Walcamp

Ooooh. Sounds politically relevant. :) Tying into the other thread, wonder if they intentionally programmed that because it relates to current social issues??

8 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I find this comment spot on. It does feel like a random spin on what they always do anyway, feature a lot of horror films, more semantics than anything substantive.

However, I would argue with the assertion they don't give Christmas "a full month of attention". Just wait until December and let's see how many dozens of Christmas movies there are. Wasn't it just last year they did a whole WEEK of nothing but Christmas movies? Yes, that wasn't the whole month, but it was a LOT of Christmas movies.

I like the idea of featuring horror films during the month of October as the SOTM.     Of course what TCM is doing is marketing "spin",  in that,  as you note,  it is highly likely that overall the same set of horror films would have been shown during October,  even if there was a specific actor as  SOTM.    But it does break up the programming;  Instead of one actor,  one day a week,  with 3 - 4 films that day,   we get 3 - 4 different actors,  on SOTM day.      Also,  it saves the marketing from having to select a specific horror actor as SOTM.   I.e.  no one can complain that XYZ was selected instead of 123.      (which often leads to complaints of "how could TCM make XYZ SOTM without showing this-or-that film!).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

Tying into the other thread, wonder if they intentionally programmed that because it relates to current social issues??

The recent Supreme Court ruling was probably a motivating factor, and the host introducing the film (probably Jacqueline .... Stewart? Why have I forgotten her name all of a sudden? I don't watch much TCM during baseball season) will probably reference it (which will make 99.9 per cent of the TCM Message Board members seethe with rage), But I think part of the programming decision was to say oooh look movies tackled controversial subject matter even back in the day.

Primetime October 2 the entire evening has so far been left blank.

Silent Sunday nights

The Beloved Rogue (John Barrymore, Marceline Day) (United Artists, 1927)

TCM Imports

Kwaidan (Rentaro Mikuni, Michiyo Aratama) (Dist. in the US by Continental, 1965)

Late night

Hollywood: the Dream Factory (Dick Cavett, Bud Abbott) (MGM, 1972)

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I recommend all of the above. I thought the last one had played on Noir Alley at least once.

You may be thinking of the Argentine film 'Sangra Negra' (Native Son) that premiered on Noir Alley back on February 20, 2021.

Just now, cmovieviewer said:

You may be thinking of the Argentine film 'Sangra Negra' (Native Son) that premiered on Noir Alley back on February 20, 2021.

There's a list on Letterboxd that purports to include every feature shown on Noir Alley. El Vampiro Negro is included in the list. Obviously I can't vouch for the veracity of the list, but that's why I thought it'd been shown.

https://letterboxd.com/tcm_lb/list/noir-alley/

I see now that the list was compiled by the official TCM Letterboxd account.

I'm fairly sure most of the foreign ones on page 3 have never been on Noir Alley unless you include them playing on Imports later in the day and Eddie going "hey! Check out this movie" in his intro. Also the color period drama, Casque d'or is definitely not a noir film. :huh: 

• Thanks 1