Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Dress sneakers" - the unholy abomination

Sukhov

I can't really judge shoes. I'm very much a function over form person, and have never really given a damn about my shoes, as long as they are comfortable or suit their purpose (hiking boots, etc). I've never understood shoe culture (or fashion culture in general), and am baffled by sneaker culture in particular.

People pay actual money for these things:

adidas-Yeezy-450-Cinder-First-Look-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Balenciaga looks kind of cool to me in a "this would look neat in a sci fi movie" sort of way so I can sort of see the love some have for that brand. My problem with dress sneakers is there is no situation where either a sneaker or a penny loafer wouldn't do the trick. If you are going to a nice restaurant for instance wear loafers. If you are going to the basketball court wear sneakers. Dress sneakers are imo a poor attempt to market dress shoes to kids/ teens or at least make them more palatable.

My personal go to shoes of choice are the British brand Tricker's "Harvard" model, leather sole, penny loafers in black suede and Chelsea boots from the brand George Cox. Would definitely recommend both. They are very dressy looking and finely crafted.

16 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I've seen fa-a-a-r worst looking shoes than those! Some so bad, if I would to post them, the mods will remove my post for graphic horror!

Here's something that may stay up..

Strength-Shoes-3.jpg

Those are at least normal sneakers though they look a bit melted on the bottom ;). Leather and rubber are two materials which should never be on the same clothing item. They clash too brazenly. 

Fashion used to be a visual cue as to who the person might be, what group they may belong to, etc. The 90's began a definite anti-fashion movement with the elimination of color & pattern, what I call the LLBean/Ralph Lauren era. Everything offered in retail stores was neutral black, white, gray, navy and if lucky, you may find something brown.

The next step was eliminating structure- clothing became oversize & loose unless you were pregnant, then everything worn needed to be skin tight! I imagine this trend came from online ordering, where you had no control of "fit", so stopped caring.

teenager-weight-loss-2.jpg

Covid 2020 has further dumbed down fashion to reflect the utter laziness and ever expanding size of Americans. 

Overweight-014.jpg

Yet I still see TV anchors in these ridiculous looking things on the opposite end of the spectrum:

b11_pink_083.jpg

I gave up heels at 20 years old, after feeling the negative effect both in my feet & sciatic nerve. Sorry guys, healthy is far more sexy than slu-tt-y.

Y'all do get carried away and WAY off track of this thread's original point. 

The OP seems to think sneakers designed and intended for formal wear as an abomination.  

It seems to be something done in a small way a few decades ago when a few celebrities were seen wearing sneakers with their Armani suits and tuxedos on some red carpet at some awards function.

Personally, I would have never considered wearing my Reeboks while doing wedding assignments, where a suit was required by my photo employers.  Or even for any occasion where I'd wear a suit.  Of course now, dealing with Lymphedema and swollen feet, wearing  regular sneakers isn't possible, and orthopedic and specialty sneakers for my condition don't really exist.  So my choices are limited and my opinion on this is moot. 

Sepiatone

12 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

The next step was eliminating structure- clothing became oversize & loose unless you were pregnant, then everything worn needed to be skin tight! I imagine this trend came from online ordering, where you had no control of "fit", so stopped caring.

It is my understanding that this is an effect of globalization. 

Body proportions vary by race and environment. A short but interesting mentioning of a few differences between Poles and Yucatans is presented in the abstract at: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09709274.2002.11905565

Clothing was once manufactured to match the common body proportions of a specific race in a specific country. Significant changes had to be made to the patterns in order to sell the same basic design to a different race in a different country. 

Globalization has meant that manufacturers must make clothing that is suitable for many different races in many different areas. This mean making the clothing sufficiently loose that it accommodates the differing body proportions. 

The effect is that they are seemingly making "one size fits all" which does not truly fit any one person.

11 hours ago, hamradio said:

I feel like if Obesity wasn’t such a major problem nowadays people would go back to dressing the way they did in the studio film era. If people had better bodies maybe they would put more effort in. That is just my personal opinion on clothing and the obesity pandemic in America though.

I’m sorry, ham. I meant that post for Tikisoo. :lol: sorry about that

14 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

Fashion used to be a visual cue as to who the person might be, what group they may belong to, etc. The 90's began a definite anti-fashion movement with the elimination of color & pattern, what I call the LLBean/Ralph Lauren era. Everything offered in retail stores was neutral black, white, gray, navy and if lucky, you may find something brown.

teenager-weight-loss-2.jpg

Covid 2020 has further dumbed down fashion to reflect the utter laziness and ever expanding size of Americans. 

Overweight-014.jpg

Yet I still see TV anchors in these ridiculous looking things on the opposite end of the spectrum:

b11_pink_083.jpg

I gave up heels at 20 years old, after feeling the negative effect both in my feet & sciatic nerve. Sorry guys, healthy is far more sexy than slu-tt-y.

Just now, Sukhov said:

I feel like if Obesity wasn’t such a major problem nowadays people would go back to dressing the way they did in the studio film era. If people had better bodies maybe they would put more effort in. That is just my personal opinion on clothing and the obesity pandemic in America though.

8 hours ago, Sukhov said:

The mistake overweight people make is wearing loose clothing thinking it somehow hides their body. Structured clothing creates a visual illusion of a thinner, structured body underneath. Oprah's neat trim dressing style is a perfect example:

o-OPRAH-WINFREY-900.jpg?15

That dress fits her beautifully, actually making her look thinner.

Even Whoopi looks great in properly fitted clothing -

92dce6760b37ae334dfeeb3504e0bafa--whoopi

...big loose clothing hides nothing, just adds bulk making her look heavier-

whoopi%20goldberg%20standing%20reuters.j

384a9dc28620479628e25f31295a6e5328211521

...as for SHOES- sneakers have been creeping into workplace fashion since the late 80's when women wore sneakers during transit to/from work. And yes, we started seeing sneakers at red carpet events in Hollywood, presumably for lack of comfortable dress shoes.

There are clever alternatives like having a pair of COMFORTABLE DRESS SHOES that fit like sneakers- 

il_570xN.132012646.jpg

OY!  No thanks.

And my problem isn't only shoes, but finding slacks and jeans with extra wide legs(from thigh to ankle) so I can remove them more easily due to my swollen calves and shins due to lymphedema.   And later today, I'm going to call my podiatrist, where I also got my extra wide ortho shoes to see if the company that made them also offers anything in a type of slipper. 

And I did find, back in my wedding photography days, very comfortable "dressy" looking shoes.  They were made by HUSH PUPPIES,  and were like walking on clouds.   I would presume though, given the financial incomes of most celebrities, that finding comfortable dress shoes, or having them custom made, wouldn't be a problem.  I think the sneaker thing was about them thinking they were making some kind of  important statement.

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

Even Whoopi looks great in properly fitted clothing -

...big loose clothing hides nothing, just adds bulk making her look heavier-

whoopi%20goldberg%20standing%20reuters.j

384a9dc28620479628e25f31295a6e5328211521

Thought she look so good in that Star Trek TNG getup.

star-trek-generations-whoopi-goldberg-gu

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

call my podiatrist, where I also got my extra wide ortho shoes

Haha I joke that my feet are so wide, they are as wide as they are long-like a duck's feet! (since only wearing flats my lifetime)

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

very comfortable "dressy" looking shoes.  They were made by HUSH PUPPIES,  and were like walking on clouds.

Yup, those wing tips above are Doc Martens- handmade, supportive and cushiony soft like a cloud too.

18 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Aaah, perhaps you caught the following "New Rules" segment on Bill Maher's HBO program aired a week and a half ago, eh Sukhov?

(...btw, if you click on the "watch on YouTube" icon and watch this there instead, the very first comment you'll see at the top of the comments section is mine)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Aaah, perhaps you caught the following "New Rules" segment on Bill Maher's HBO program aired a week and a half ago, eh Sukhov?

(...btw, if you click on the "watch on YouTube" icon and watch this there instead, the very first comment you'll see at the top of the comments section is mine)

You lost nearly fifty pounds from three hundred? That is pretty impressive. I didn’t know you intended on joining the army either unless I am looking at the wrong comment? 

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I would presume though, given the financial incomes of most celebrities, that finding comfortable dress shoes, or having them custom made, wouldn't be a problem.  I think the sneaker thing was about them thinking they were making some kind of  important statement.

Sepiatone

Yes, definitely agree. The sneakers and suit thing was about toning down classic menswear to give off a “casual vibe.” That’s not my style but I see where they are coming from. Dress sneakers tick me off because they make a bad product out of two decent products never meant to be combined. The white, rubber sole ruins any supposed “formality” and the leather top makes the shoe much too warm and also at the same time goofy looking for playing sports in. In general, this specific product to me is something a boardroom executive in his 70s came up with to make penny loafers “hip” to kids which is why I find it so lame. Leather and rubber should NEVER be combined. :( 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sukhov said:

You lost nearly fifty pounds from three hundred? That is pretty impressive. I didn’t know you intended on joining the army either unless I am looking at the wrong comment? 

LOL

Nope, mine was the following comment, and which on my computer at least is still showing as being the first one shown:

Ya know, this all boils down to a seemingly forgotten concept that could be of tremendous help IF so many Americans had NOT forgotten it, and a concept that NOT only would be extremely helpful to our nation in regard to the now rampant obesity issue among our nation's population, but ALSO even perhaps in lessening our nation's growing political divide. What "concept" would this BE, you ask? Well, it's called...wait for it...MODERATION IN ALL THINGS! (uh-huh, and in regard to the specific issue of Obesity here, this would of course mean, START eating in moderation, and which in turn means STOP eating to excess!)

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Nope, mine was the following comment, and which on my computer at least is still showing as being the first one shown:

Ya know, this all boils down to a seemingly forgotten concept that could be of tremendous help IF so many Americans had NOT forgotten it, and a concept that NOT only would be extremely helpful to our nation in regard to the now rampant obesity issue among our nation's population, but ALSO even perhaps in lessening our nation's growing political divide. What "concept" would this BE, you ask? Well, it's called...wait for it...MODERATION IN ALL THINGS! (uh-huh, and in regard to the specific issue of Obesity here, this would of course mean, START eating in moderation, and which in turn means STOP eating to excess!)

Thank you for explaining that. On my computer, the first comment is a man with a very Scandinavian name talking about how he was 300 pounds and wanted to join the army for 4 years so I was really confused by that.

13 hours ago, Sukhov said:

. Leather and rubber should NEVER be combined. :( 

Yeah, well don't try telling THIS lady that!  ;) 

0d87872f365cd9488e8a39d2b3dc09fa.png

Sepiatone                                 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

Haha I joke that my feet are so wide, they are as wide as they are long-like a duck's feet! (since only wearing flats my lifetime)

Yup, those wing tips above are Doc Martens- handmade, supportive and cushiony soft like a cloud too.

OK.

1.  I get extra wide in order to have enough material to allow room over the TOP of the shoe due to my swollen lymphedemic feet.

2.  Those wing tips might be comfy, but with what looks like the soles of my old Red Wing work boots they sho' look UG-LEE!

Sepiatone

• Haha 1