Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What happened with variety during the day?

I have been watching TCM for decades now and I find it absolutely boring that you show movies with one particular actor all day, or movies from some decade or silent film in the same manner.   I am sure you have quite a large collection of film in different genres, different actors, could you please take advantage of such wealth and give us a variety of film.  Please mix decades, genres, actors.  I am fortunate to be able to switch to many other movie channels when you regale us with all day westerns; not my favorite;  but do have a special place in my heart for TCM as  my mom  and I are  movie buffs and love to share information on actors and movies.   On another topic,  I miss Mr. Osborne, he had impeccable taste.  

• Like 1

This is a common complaint on here that is discussed often. The amount of studio era films shown in general has remained exactly the same since TCM’s founding. 

• Thanks 1

I have been watching TCM for decades now and I find it absolutely boring that you show movies with one particular actor all day, or movies from some decade or silent film in the same manner.   I am sure you have quite a large collection of film in different genres, different actors, could you please take advantage of such wealth and give us a variety of film.  Please mix decades, genres, actors.  I am fortunate to be able to switch to many other movie channels when you regale us with all day westerns; not my favorite;  but do have a special place in my heart for TCM as  my mom  and I are  movie buffs and love to share information on actors and movies.   On another topic,  I miss Mr. Osborne, he had impeccable taste.  

Guess we can chalk up another "nay" vote for this annual month of August SUTS programming concept here, eh folks?!

AND of which I believe, Robert Osborne with his impeccable taste, had a major hand in the decision to implement many years ago.

(...ironic, ain't it)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yvonne Tyrrell said:

I find it absolutely boring

I find complaints boring.

I am sure you have quite a large collection of film

Who is "you"...TCM the channel?

Really? You're SURE about that?

I miss Mr. Osborne, he had impeccable taste.  

Mr Osborne had his clothing chosen for him by a professional.

• Like 1

This has been one of my complaints every year since SUTS began.  There are also other programming decisions that are just as bad.

TCM has access to a wide range of movies and other programming.  Diversify what is being shown every day.

Several years ago I was fortunate in that I purchased a DVD recorder when TCM was showing a lot of good movies from the 40's and 50's.  These do not appear to show up very often at all anymore.  Thank goodness I made DVD's.

I'm a fan of Summer Under the Stars, and the main reason is because you get an intimate sense of the performer spending 24 hours with them...also, you get to see how they evolved as performers, how their bodies changed/aged and how their work reflected trends in various decades. So from a somewhat historical point of view, I like the 24-hour marathon. They also use this format when someone important passes away and we get a full day memorial.

Yes, some of the more notable titles are chosen but rarities get thrown into the mix too.

• Like 6

So let me get this straight. OP and the bellyaches like him who post one post wonders want completely random movies scheduled back to back and that would make them like the channel more? :huh: like Debby Does Dallas scheduled after Shirley Temple would make great programming? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Yvonne Tyrrell said:

I don't think you have really though this through.    If TCM was to do what you say (less theme based programming),  you would have to check the schedule constantly and then go to other stations,   one-movie at a time,  each and every time they showed a movie you didn't wish to see.

With theme based programming (like Scott all day which was  mostly westerns and I assume prompted this post),  you can know way in advance to find alternatives for multiple hours.

It does seem to me that these theme based movies and SUTS features were usually scheduled from late afternoon on instead of all day long. And the complaint then was that TCM should make a whole day of it(if possible) instead of limiting it to a few hours and movies.   But my memory not being what it was I might be mistaken

Sepiatone

During 31 Days of Oscar, many message board participants take issue with the fact daytime birthday tributes do not occur during that month. And some would like to see the Oscar theme limited to primetime. 

I suppose this could also apply to Summer Under the Stars.

• Like 1

I just introduced an older relative to SUTS and set up his tablet so he could see the daily schedule any time he wants. I'm sure its a benefit to him to see who's day it is. I'm sure he would want to know Randolph Scott movies are playing all day. Or whomever. And also see some films by actors he wouldn't normally watch, because its all day. One can surf the channel from time to time and stick around if its a good one.

TCM will never please all of the people, all of the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't mind SUTS since it only lasts a month, but I do mind the theme based programming during the day.  If you don't like the theme,  you're out of luck all day long.  Naturally, whenever I'm off work, the theme usually isn't my cup of tea.  However, I'm rarely at home during the day so I suppose I can't expect TCM to cater to my tastes. LOL

19 minutes ago, LoyFan said:

I don't mind SUTS since it only lasts a month, but I do mind the theme based programming during the day.  If you don't like the theme,  you're out of luck all day long.  Naturally, whenever I'm off work, the theme usually isn't my cup of tea.  However, I'm rarely at home during the day so I suppose I can't expect TCM to cater to my tastes. LOL

I believe most theme based programming is done during prime-time  (EST).   (instead of only during non-prime-time or all day long (24 hours).

Therefore,  you could be out of luck!