Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How much land does the military really own? Pretty interesting article...

fxreyman

How much land does the military really own?

By Sarah Sicard, for The Military Times

August 15, 2022

The U.S. military is something of a real estate tycoon.

Over the years, the Defense Department has amassed nearly 30 million acres of land worldwide spanning 45 countries and eight U.S. territories, according to data from the 2018 budget. And a map drawn up by Visual Capitalist shows exactly how that looks, on a state-by-state basis....

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2022/08/15/how-much-land-does-the-military-really-own/

29 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

How much land does the military really own?

By Sarah Sicard, for The Military Times

August 15, 2022

The U.S. military is something of a real estate tycoon.

Over the years, the Defense Department has amassed nearly 30 million acres of land worldwide spanning 45 countries and eight U.S. territories, according to data from the 2018 budget. And a map drawn up by Visual Capitalist shows exactly how that looks, on a state-by-state basis....

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2022/08/15/how-much-land-does-the-military-really-own/

Interesting, but do you have a point?

I remember in 1970 when I was first assigned to Ft. Bragg N.C. (US Army), I picked up a brochure about the post.  May be a little off, but basically it said that as part of WW II preparation, US government purchased 50,000? sq. acres of most desolate land in N.C.   Ft. Bragg requires artillery ranges as well as multiple drop zones for airborne and special operations forces.  In addition to just the land to house, support and train all the soldiers and dependents there.

Many Army posts and especially Air Force land is on desolate land.  The Air Force, but also the Army, needs large swaths of land to drop bombs, launch missiles, fire artillery, etc.   That is a major reason of why bases are located where they are.  Especially Air Force, Navy and Marine flight training areas.  Some of the land actually has very few, if any, personnel on it.

What I did not see in the article is that over the past 20 years, the military has divested itself of lots of land.  In some cases, it has been turned over to states which use it for their National Guard.  But much of it has become commercial property.

When these bases were initiated, the state and local governments were all for them.  Still are in most cases.