Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Raquel Welch in SUTS - seriously?

Toto

I've been loving SUTS so far and seeing many amazing movies but what's up with Raquel Welch as the featured actress for SUTS today?  Sorry - but she is not in the same league as other stars in SUTS and some of the movies airing today such as "Fuzz", "Flareup", "Kansas City Bomber" and "One Million Years BC" are well in my opinion - bad.  This is disappointing.  Maybe TCM wanted to feature a sex symbol but I think they could have made a better choice.  Marilyn Monroe was a sex symbol and was in some wonderful movies.  Her movies will air on August 27th.

• Like 2

Raquel's body of work really stacks up well. The problem isn't that Raquel is being honored, it's the film selections. Where's Myra Breckenridge ? The Biggest Bundle of Them All? and Lady in Cement? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Raquel's body of work really stacks up well. The problem isn't that Raquel is being honored, it's the film selections. Where's Myra Breckenridge ? The Biggest Bundle of Them All? and Lady in Cement? 

THE BIGGEST BUNDLE OF THEM ALL is on the schedule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DC36A0F1-32B2-4C90-B147-663B5781DCEA_1_201_a

Raquel Welch on TCM

flareup
the biggest bundle of them all
fuzz
kansas city bomber
the last of sheila
the three musketeers
the four musketeers
one million years b.c.
bandolero!
hannie caulder
100 rifles
the wild party

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toto said:

I've been loving SUTS so far and seeing many amazing movies but what's up with Raquel Welch as the featured actress for SUTS today?  Sorry - but she is not in the same league as other stars in SUTS and some of the movies airing today such as "Fuzz", "Flareup", "Kansas City Bomber" and "One Million Years BC" are well in my opinion - bad.  This is disappointing.  Maybe TCM wanted to feature a sex symbol but I think they could have made a better choice.  Marilyn Monroe was a sex symbol and was in some wonderful movies.  Her movies will air on August 27th.

In YOUR opinion, eh?

So, are you complaining that the Welch movies being featured aren't up to your discerning standards, or that TCM committed the  ultimate offense in failing to consult you before scheduling both her and those movies for broadcast?

Sepiatone

I was also mystified by the choice to feature Raquel Welch this year.

i have nothing against her — for all I know, she may be very proud of her movies and really appreciates TCM’s recognition.  But I just don’t think she made enough good movies to be featured for a whole day.  The only movie today that interests me at all is The Last of Sheila, and that’s more because of the unusual authors (Sondheim and Perkins) than because of anyone who’s in the cast.

I realize that TCM isn’t being programmed just to please me.  If other folks are enjoying today’s line-up, I’m glad.  

I do wonder, however, if Ms. Welch was chosen to help fill some TCM goal of featuring at least a few living stars each year.  It’s got to be more difficult these days than it was even a few years ago to include living stars who made classic movies.  The only other living stars in this year’s schedule are Clint Eastwood and Jacqueline Bisset.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BingFan said:

I was also mystified by the choice to feature Raquel Welch this year.

i have nothing against her — for all I know, she may be very proud of her movies and really appreciates TCM’s recognition.  But I just don’t think she made enough good movies to be featured for a whole day.  The only movie today that interests me at all is The Last of Sheila, and that’s more because of the unusual authors (Sondheim and Perkins) than because of anyone who’s in the cast.

I realize that TCM isn’t being programmed just to please me.  If other folks are enjoying today’s line-up, I’m glad.  

I do wonder, however, if Ms. Welch was chosen to help fill some TCM goal of featuring at least a few living stars each year.  It’s got to be more difficult these days than it was even a few years ago to include living stars who made classic movies.  The only other living stars in this year’s schedule are Clint Eastwood and Jacqueline Bisset.

Using this logic, it means ten years from now TCM will be featuring 80s movie stars during the August lineup. People like Meryl Streep, Tom Cruise and Michelle Pfeiffer since they may still be alive.

We could even get to a point where Macaulay Culkin gets a day in August. By then, he will be 80 years old talking about the good old days of Hollywood. He will show up at a TCM Classic film festival and put his hands to his face and mug for the camera, just the way he did in the posters for HOME ALONE.

Everyone will talk about what a classic comedy HOME ALONE is...and there will be a group off to the side talking about how TCM no longer plays Bette Davis movies.

• Thanks 1

It's OK with me with her being one of SUTS, I have to admit part of it is I find her beautiful and sexy to look at.  She also made some decent films

Kansas City Bomber (1972) is an entertaining 70s flick with some good action and grit.

The Wild Party (1975) is an interesting take on the 1920s Hollywood scene with James Coco as a Fatty Arbuckle type.

My favorite of hers is Hannie Caulder (1972) a great Western in which she learns to shoot from a bounty hunter (Robert Culp). She is looking for revenge from her rape and her husband's murder. Classic movie bad guys Ernest Borgnine, Jack Elam and Strother Martin are the slimy villains.

I also like some not on the schedule like Fathom (1967) and Bedazzled (1967) although that mostly for her scenes in bikinis.

While they are ensemble pieces, rather than star vehicles for Raquel Welch, Richard Lester's The Three Musketeer and The Four Musketeers are both winning adaptions of Dumas' Three Musketeers. They take some liberties with the novel, of course, but, essentially, stick to the story. Both are crammed with impressive period detail, noteworthy for their humour (much of it throwaway) as well as dramatics. The Four Musketeers, which draws the story to its conclusion, is the more dramatic of the two.

Michael York is a winningly naive and earnest D'Artagnan, with Oliver Twist, Richard Chamberlain and Frank Findley well cast as the musketeers. Charlton Heston is impressively cast against type as a manipulative Cardinal Richelieu, with an equally impressive Christopher Lee as his black hearted right hand man. Lee and York will duel each other a number of times in these two productions, often for original effect, such as when they fight one another on an icy river and keep slipping and falling down. For my money the most memorable performance of the films comes from a beautiful and deadly Faye Dunaway as the treacherous Milady De Winter.

As for Raquel Welch, hers is clearly a supporting role but she is engaging and winning in a gently comic performance as Constance, D'Artagnan's lady love with is also a bit of a klutz.

Swasbucklers are a difficult genre for filmmakers to really master. For my money, these two Lester productions are probably the best that genre has seen on film since the heyday of Errol Flynn. Flynn, by the way, once played in a radio adaption of the Dumas novel.

Raquel Welch and Michael York in The Three Musketeers (1973) | Ракель уэлш,  Фэй данауэй, Актрисы

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Raquel Welch, Richard Lester's The Three Musketeer

She won a Golden Globe for this performance. She was so grateful for finally winning an award she said "I've been waiting for this since...One Million B.C.!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm over SUTS already. This is a really bad week. Randolph Scott and today Raquel. No star I'm interested in until Joanie on Sat. (and most of the films I'd like to watch are on the overnight hours). Cant wait till the month is over.

• Like 1

I'm a bit surprised this has not been mentioned here, but the selection of Raquel Welch films today includes 5 that have never been shown on TCM before:

100 Rifles (1969)
Bandolero! (1968)
Flareup (1969)
Hannie Caulder (1972)
Wild Party, The (1975)

Raquel Welch leads the way for SUTS this year in having the most premieres. (Jacqueline Bisset has the 2nd most premieres at 4.)

Some may be disappointed that certain films are not included (I enjoy Fantastic Voyage), but I would like to commend TCM for showing something new.

MR6666 has a nice write-up on the films in the TCM Premieres thread:

https://forums.tcm.com/topic/48504-tcm-premieres/page/86/#comments

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, BingFan said:

I do wonder, however, if Ms. Welch was chosen to help fill some TCM goal of featuring at least a few living stars each year.

I believe that is the primary reason.     Thus this thread is related to the many other similar threads about TCM marketing,  how to maintain the existing viewership level,   and if, in order to do so TCM has to make changes to their branding.

Note that all-of-this is  a very common topic at the Jazz website since Jazz is  the least listened to music  in the USA today.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

In YOUR opinion, eh?

So, are you complaining that the Welch movies being featured aren't up to your discerning standards, or that TCM committed the  ultimate offense in failing to consult you before scheduling both her and those movies for broadcast?

Sepiatone

Sorry to upset you Sepiatone.  Just my opinion.  I like stars/movies that I'm sure many others wouldn't like so no problem if you like Raquel.  Enjoy the movies today.

I'm generally okay with Raquel being honored with a SUTS day, and because the way I look at this, it's kind'a nice to have the TCM programmers "thinking outside the box" here or in other words picking someone other than "the usual suspects" so to speak.

Nope, no problem  for this reason in Raquel's  case.

Nope, the only reservations I would possibly have with Raquel's pick here would be that I've always thought she was one of the WORST actresses to ever grace the silver screen, and that if she didn't have that bod, that exotic looking face and that thick mane of hair, you'd have never heard of her.

(...sorry, Raquel)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

I'm generally okay with Raquel being honored with a SUTS day, and because the way I look at this, it's kind'a nice to have the TCM programmers "thinking outside the box" here or in other words picking someone other than "the usual suspects" so to speak.

Nope, no problem  for this reason in Raquel's  case.

Nope, the only reservations I would possibly have with Raquel's pick here would be that I've always thought she was one of the WORST actresses to ever grace the silver screen, and that if she didn't have that bod, that exotic looking face and that thick mane of hair, you'd have never heard of her.

(...sorry, Raquel)

So Raquel is your female equivalent to George Raft?

(mine as most know, is June Allyson,  but not because of her acting,  per se,  but just her screen persona).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I think that would apply to most actors

I dunno if I'd say "most" film actors here slayton (and with emphasis on the word "film" here of course) but certainly many, anyway.

(...or as that old saying goes: "The camera either likes you or not")