Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One Million BC

Fern C.

Sure.  I'll run it.  Bu y'all will have to come to my house to see it.  ;)  :D 

That was the movie my Mother first fell heavy for Victor Mature.  The story being that on a night with a bad toothache she decided to duck inside a movie theater to take her mind off the pain.  The closest theater was showing that movie, and in too much pain to try walking to another theater, and not really knowing what the movie was about(she said she thought it might be some boring documentary) she went inside and while walking down the aisle to find a seat, looked up at the screen and saw this...

maxresdefault.jpg

And said she was hooked ever since.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Victor was very harsh on himself as an actor.   

He did some good work.

By the way, Carole Landis had one of the best bodies in Hollywood (whether natural or man-made).  In I WAKE UP SCREAMING and MOON OVER MIAMI, I think she looks better than Betty Grable.   However, I say this as a heterosexual female, so my opinion may not matter, lol.  

Betty of course was an iconic pin-up girl; not sure if Carole had that distinction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Victor was very harsh on himself as an actor.   

He did some good work.

By the way, Carole Landis had one of the best bodies in Hollywood (whether natural or man-made).  In I WAKE UP SCREAMING and MOON OVER MIAMI, I think she looks better than Betty Grable.   Of course I say this as a heterosexual female, so my opinion may not matter, lol.  

Betty of course was an iconic pin-up girl; not sure if Carole had that distinction.

there was an incident where some director instructed mature to walk in a certain place when a scene was being shot but the guy never told victor precisely where to walk so he yells cut and calls mature a stupid bass **** or words to that effect. mature gets mad and walks over to the guy and punches him out then walks off the set but he could hear this one guy up on a scaffold clapping his hands in applause.

:lol:

Carole Landis - One Million B.C. scene Photo Print (10 x 8) - Item #  DAP14444 - Posterazzi

lucky monkey

What We Talk About When We Talk About Carole Landis | Karen Carpenter Died  For Your Sins

Laughing at the Silver Moon: Carole Landis in Moon Over Miami – Pale Writer

Actress Carole Landis suicide... - RareNewspapers.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Fern C. said:

Could you please run the original One Million BC with Victor Mature and Carole Landis?

Black and white and colorized presentations of One Million B.C. are available on YouTube.

p38298_p_v8_aa.jpg     61049_1_large.jpg

f137cf46f7b46bf56b55fd662c7a144b--one-mi

9076c46106bf6684fbbc9d3b478437f6-one-mil

468f435b762e323344982f0d1288db4f.jpg     29cd677f8685dbcb50f5c800fb168a75.jpg     MV5BZTE5MjkxNjctYTVmZS00NjZlLTk2YTMtNjFlMjI0OGM2NDY3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzAwOTU1MTk@._V1_.jpg

One Million B.C.!

When men were MEN and women were . . .

3493a8d409e39a91861454b3ce9760c3.jpg     xWHa-PYnsxsE1qOfR9MHChrCCRt-fg1vU-KvIofd5kOIVKGnKtDJJMQT4PvDsdTy8UjHSWSk7zyhzvILL8OW7bFGKyPJ_9CQeIbU9aG3pnwVpNiokP0ptrRi1hnf6hi2sZIlx-lCjh7Ka-UxCgxOwdJnB9Lhf-uwzmvA0g=s1920-w1920-h1080

. . . hair stylists!

img.jpg?width=980

"Give me a perm with sun-kissed-blonde highlights and don't skimp on the peroxide, Sugar!
I simply mussst look FABULOUS for the volcanic eruption!"

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Victor Mature was an underrated actor.  

Been sayin' this same thing for years now myself, Bronxie. And, exhibited by not only his excellent performance as Doc Holliday in that one Ford flick, but also in many a noir such as Kiss of Death and The Long Haul, just to name a few.

(...in fact, I remember starting one of the few threads I ever do around here and with the title, "In Praise of Victor Mature", about 9 or10 years ago now)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Victor Mature was an underrated actor.  

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Doc Holliday in that one Ford flick, but also in many a noir such as Kiss of Death

I am always delighted to see VICTOR MATURE.  The Western you mention is MY DARLING CLEMENTINE my favorite Western. 

• Like 2

There's another story,  true or not I'm not sure.

But also a businessman,  one day while shooting HANNIBAL I think, word came to him that something was seriously wrong at one of the stores he was a co-owner with Jim Backus.  He took off out of the set still clad in his Hannibal outfit.  Him and Backus supposedly stopped for refreshment at a roadside diner and the counter girl, hesitant when seeing Mature in costume allegedly sparked this response from Mature, "What's the matter, don't you serve men in uniform?" 

Then there's the legend( maybe "urban"?) of  when in the movie HANNIBAL('59) he raised his arm to lead a charge to reveal he was wearing a wristwatch!  

I've seen the movie, but never the watch.

Sepiatone

19 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

By the way, Carole Landis had one of the best bodies in Hollywood (whether natural or man-made).  In I WAKE UP SCREAMING and MOON OVER MIAMI, I think she looks better than Betty Grable.   Of course I say this as a heterosexual female, so my opinion may not matter, lol.  

This cis-het male seconds your opinion. I first saw her in Topper Returns and she almost - almost - made Joan Blondell look plain.

MV5BOWQ5MzBmNDEtMjUyNi00ODgxLWE1ZGQtNWEx

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Been sayin' this same thing for years now myself, Bronxie. And, exhibited by not only his excellent performance as Doc Holliday in that one Ford flick, but also in many a noir such as Kiss of Death and The Long Haul, just to name a few.

(...in fact, I remember starting one of the few threads I ever do around here and with the title, "In Praise of Victor Mature", about 9 or10 years ago now)

Thanks, Dargo, I of course heartily concur!  (I do seem to remember your Mature thread.  What forum was it in?)

The man was much more versatile than a lot of people thought, yet even in his "signature" gladiator roles Victor brought interesting layers of character interpretation.

8 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

This cis-het male seconds your opinion. I first saw her in Topper Returns and she almost - almost - made Joan Blondell look plain.

MV5BOWQ5MzBmNDEtMjUyNi00ODgxLWE1ZGQtNWEx

Well, Joan of course was in a league of her own.  (and never more womanly than in A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN and NIGHTMARE ALLEY.  Another underrated performer who I don't really think was given her due....)

• Thanks 1

Cecil B. De Mille came to regret casting Victor Mature as the strong man in Samson and Delilah. While Mature lost weight for the role his muscles had no definition and he looked flabby. Aside from that he refused to do anything that involved physical risk, including wrestling with a tamed lion. As a result his double did much of the work in the scene in which Samson fought a lion, with some shots inserted of Victor grimacing while wrestling a stuffed animal. The set was closed to visitors on the day Mature "wrestled" a lion because the director did want onlookers reporting on the ridiculousness of Mature's "fight to the death" with a stuffed toy.

De Mille didn't hate Mature (the actor was too easy going and likable a lug for that) but he regarded him as "the greatest coward ever born." To be sure, when viewing Samson and Delilah today the fight with the lion sequence stands out for its fakeness.

Classic Movie Ramblings: Samson and Delilah (1949)

"Darn it, C. B.. Couldn't you find a stuffed lion with an easier mouth to close than this?"

Richard Burton said of Mature, "I've never known an actor so happily aware of his limitations. He rejoiced in them. He liked to joke that he was no actor and he had 60 films to prove it. But against him I looked like an amateur."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Underrated by whom?   Clearly not at this forum.     

I've always felt Blondell's talents were not usually taken full advantage of by the studio/s she worked for in the mid to late 1930's and pre-WWII 1940's.   It was only until 1945's A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN where I think Joan started to garnish appreciation as a "serious" actress.

2 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

It was only until 1945's A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN where I think Joan started to garnish appreciation as a "serious" actress.

JOAN BLONDELL was a genuine star in the early 30s... and she is one of several reasons why A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN is superb.  I think us later generations saw her unrecognized or not glorified the way screen icons have become, but I think critics and audiences saw her skills right from the git-go. 

• Like 1