Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musings, Ponderings, Ruminations and Fancies

Why did publicity for NINOTCHKA declare this was the film where viewers were finally going to see how "Garbo Laughs!"  Greta chuckled onscreen way before that.  In fact the so-called dour Swede had a lovely smile.  

I always thought Spencer Tracy had more (onscreen) romantic/sexual chemistry with Lana Turner in the two films they made together (DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, CASS TIMBERLANE) than in any of his nine pairings with Hepburn.  

Ever notice how $40,000 is the usual sum in movies that is stolen/gone missing?  PSYCHO is the most famous example but I swear there are at least three other films (the titles of which unfortunately do not come immediately to my addled Boomer brain) which use this exact amount!

Characters who have accidents or are near death only rarely get transported to the hospital.  Instead they are carried up the stairs of their friend's house where a doctor arrives with an oxygen tank.  Some of these victims survive but a few do not.

Why was Horst Buchholz so unappealing?  I just want to throw something at the screen when I see him in ONE, TWO THREE and FANNY.   Did he ever crack a joke?

Greatest comedy of them all:  THE BIG KNIFE.  Jack Palance about Rod Steiger:  "The big man acts like a crocohhhhhhhhdiiiiiiiiiilllle but he's just a liiiizzzzzzzarrrrrd!"

I don't care how hot 'n heavy the whoopee would most certainly have been with Tarzan if I had to squat in the bushes when nature called. Of course later in the series the couple became more "civilized", with Jane proudly showing off their treetop retreat which hopefully we can assume included indoor plumbing.

Henry Daniell (very good in THE BODY SNATCHER) looked like a reptile.   So did Fernando Lamas.  

Bronxgirl Theory:   Many talented actors and actresses have normal body weight but congenitally chubby fingers.  (Alec Guinness, Meryl Streep, Julie Christie for example)

I always wonder what dish the waiter serves Audrey Hepburn in CHARADE when she meets Walter Matthau at that restaurant.   I cannot determine if it is onion soup or some sort of  souffle.

I invite everyone to join in and share your own unique perspectives!

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Henry Daniell (very good in THE BODY SNATCHER) looked like a reptile.   So did Fernando Lamas.

Completely unrelated but just the other day I was thinking to myself how Nils Asther looked like someone who underwent Facial Feminization surgery or had been on Hormone Replacement Therapy for a few months at least.

• Like 1

Why was Horst Buchholz so unappealing?  I just want to throw something at the screen when I see him in ONE, TWO THREE and FANNY.

Well, James Cagney certainly shared your feelings on the subject.  In his autobiography, he describes being so irritated by Buchholz's unprofessionalism and constant attempts at scene-stealing in One, Two, Three that if Billy Wilder hadn't intervened, Cagney "was going to knock [him] on his a**, which at several points I would have been very happy to do."  This (in addition to the overall difficulty of the shoot) was apparently a major factor in Cagney's decision to retire from acting for the next 20 years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I thought One, Two, Three was awful. Just grating and totally unfunny. And I say this as a Cagney fan. But I know it's generally well liked.

I watched The Louisiana Hussy (1959) earlier, and there was a scene at a swamp store with a sign proclaiming their wares: "Bait, Furs, Moss". Now I assumed they meant Spanish Moss, which grows on a lot of trees down here (I'm in Florida), but I had no clue that it had some commercial value. I looked it up, and saw that it was the primary material used to stuff car seat cushions in the early 20th century. That's weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

. . . I always thought Spencer Tracy had more (onscreen) romantic/sexual chemistry with Lana Turner in the two films they made together (DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, CASS TIMBERLANE) than in any of his nine pairings with Hepburn. 

According to the documentary Scotty and the Secret History of Hollywood, Spencer Tracy was a homosexual.

You could have knocked me over with a feather . . .

1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

According to the documentary Scotty and the Secret History of Hollywood, Spencer Tracy was a homosexual.

Christ on a cracker. Please excuse me if I don't believe  everything old Scotty had to say about long dead famous people was 100%  true and not just a ploy to get some cheap publicity for his book.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Completely unrelated but just the other day I was thinking to myself how Nils Asther looked like someone who underwent Facial Feminization surgery or had been on Hormone Replacement Therapy for a few months at least.

Nils was sexy to me in THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN, and also one of those Lassie sequels.

1 hour ago, Fausterlitz said:

Well, James Cagney certainly shared your feelings on the subject.  In his autobiography, he describes being so irritated by Buchholz's unprofessionalism and constant attempts at scene-stealing in One, Two, Three that if Billy Wilder hadn't intervened, Cagney "was going to knock [him] on his a**, which at several points I would have been very happy to do."  This (in addition to the overall difficulty of the shoot) was apparently a major factor in Cagney's decision to retire from acting for the next 20 years.

Horst was a bad boy!  And I couldn't discern any acting talent.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought One, Two, Three was awful. Just grating and totally unfunny. And I say this as a Cagney fan. But I know it's generally well liked.

I watched The Louisiana Hussy (1959) earlier, and there was a scene at a swamp store with a sign proclaiming their wares: "Bait, Furs, Moss". Now I assumed they meant Spanish Moss, which grows on a lot of trees down here (I'm in Florida), but I had no clue that it had some commercial value. I looked it up, and saw that it was the primary material used to stuff car seat cushions in the early 20th century. That's weird.

I share your opinion of ONE, TWO THREE, and I love Jimmy as well.  Wilder was just trying too hard....

I'm in Florida too.  Bait, Furs, Moss.  Sounds like a Deep South law firm.   Never even heard of THE LOUISIANA HUSSY.   Who's in it?

1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Loretta Young "got together" with Spencer during A MAN'S CASTLE but if I recall correctly, he dumped her.   So she moved on to Clark Gable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

. . . Bronxgirl Theory:   Many talented actors and actresses have normal body weight but congenitally chubby fingers.  (Alec Guinness, Meryl Streep, Julie Christie for example)

. . . and Charles Bronson for another example. Although his fingers might be better described as "thick" ("chubby" and "Charles Bronson" is an oxymoron, IMO).

Another feature of Bronson's fingers was his fingernails, which, to me, seemed rather long and "feminine."

3119b85bd87a8d499dce5967df2cd207--charle

la-me-charles-bronson-20030901-snap&ehk=

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Loretta Young "got together" with Spencer during A MAN'S CASTLE but if I recall correctly, he dumped her.   So she moved on to Clark Gable.

I've read that Spencer also had an affair with Ingrid Bergman, his co-star in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hellzapoppin said:

I've read that Spencer also had an affair with Ingrid Bergman, his co-star in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)

I think I read that too somewhere but it slipped my mind....

Did he make her sing "Can You See Me Dance The Polka?"

Scary as Hyde!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

. . . and Charles Bronson for another example. Although his fingers might be better described as "thick" ("chubby" and "Charles Bronson" is an oxymoron, IMO).

Another feature of Bronson's fingers was his fingernails, which, to me, seemed rather long and "feminine."

3119b85bd87a8d499dce5967df2cd207--charle

la-me-charles-bronson-20030901-snap&ehk=

Interesting about Chuck's digits....

Now for "feminine" nails I'd have to go with Mickey O'Rourke. 

Clark Gable had some meaty paws.  Brian Donlevy too, although in my opinion I don't think he was that talented.  Clark on the other hand should have won a second Oscar, for THE MISFITS.  

22 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I share your opinion of ONE, TWO THREE, and I love Jimmy as well.  Wilder was just trying too hard....

Totally agree.  "Cagney had concerns with the script, remembering back 23 years to Boy Meets Girl, in which scenes were reshot to try to make them funnier by speeding up the pacing, with the opposite effect." [Wikipedia]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I always find myself getting excited over Barton MacLane.

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I once saw Barton MacClane in an undershirt -- don't recall the movie -- and it really perked me up.

Thanks for further explaining this, Bronxie.

And 'cause ya see, I gotta admit when I first read your first post up there, I ALMOST clicked my "Haha" emoji button 'cause I thought you might've been puttin' us on here, and because I JUST couldn't see how you'd think THIS guy here was somehow so darn hot???...

Barton_MacLane_in_Smart_Blonde_trailer.j

But HEY and as they SAY, "Whatever floats your boat", RIGHT?! ;)

(...btw Bronxie, I'm lovin' your thread here...I can see this one's gonna be a lot of fun)

• Like 2

Horst Buchholz? It's  right there in  the name. Sounds like some unappetizing European dish  that you'd  send  back  to  the kitchen after

one bite. Horst is one of  those foreign actors that I never paid much  attention to. If  you can't pronounce their  name why bother.

I've never read any of Sinclair Lewis' later novels so I don't know how faithful to  the book  the movie is. Probably doesn't  matter

anyway.  It's just another fairly entertaining  well  upholstered  MGM soap  opera.  Despite the fact  that Lana was old enough to

be Tracy's illegitimate daughter, it was not  too cringe worthy.  And at least  they didn't use  the old sudden death by  traffic accident

routine.  And  I can see why Lana was eager to redecorate Spence's funeral home/residence. Yikes. what  a  downer.

Tracy was a Hollywood  ****. He  had affairs with  Cary Grant, Ty  Power, Merle Oberon, Eleanor Roosevelt, John Wayne, Little

Davy Muscelage, Walt Disney, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Dick  Powell, Stumps O'Brien, Shirley Temple, Sammy Davis, Jr., Vivian

Leigh, Laurence Olivier, Al  Jolson, Alfred Hitchcock, and  Lassie. And  that was only in one month. Despite Tracy's hectic  sexual schedule,

I  still  take  Scotty Blowers tales with a grain or two  of salt. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Why did publicity for NINOTCHKA declare this was the film where viewers were finally going to see how "Garbo Laughs!"  Greta chuckled onscreen way before that.  In fact the so-called dour Swede had a lovely smile.  

I don't really have to answer this, right? I feel you have enough of a grasp of movie history to answer this question yourself. Sure, she had laughed and/or smiled on screen before as moments in overarching tragedies that ended badly. This was the first movie of hers that was explicitly a romantic comedy, and much ballyhoo was made of the scene where she lost it when Melvyn Douglas fell out of his chair.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Horst Buchholz? It's  right there in  the name. Sounds like some unappetizing European dish  that you'd  send  back  to  the kitchen after

one bite.

Yeah, I get it! So kind'a like "Hasenpfeffer", RIGHT?!

(...boy, those old Bugs Bunny cartoons sure come in handy sometimes, don't they)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll now tackle this one of Bronxie's musings up there:

I don't care how hot 'n heavy the whoopee would most certainly have been with Tarzan if I had to squat in the bushes when nature called. Of course later in the series the couple became more "civilized", with Jane proudly showing off their treetop retreat which hopefully we can assume included a toilet bowl.

Not ALL the time Bronxie, as you've evidently forgotten the time Tarzan and Jane visited your old stomping grounds for awhile in the movie...

Tarzan's_New_York_Adventure_movie_poster

(...what...you think the big lug did his business while squatting behind a bush in Central Park while enjoying the sights of The Big Apple, maybe?!)  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BARTON MacLANE's last film was of those low-budgeted Paramount "B"-Westerns from producer A.C. Lyles:  BUCKSKIN (1968). 

He died January 1, 1969 of double pneumonia.  He was 66. 

As for TARZAN and JANE:  I hope they enjoyed indoor plumbing.  👍

• Like 1