Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lindsey Graham fight against testifying before GA grand jury.

ElCid

Pardon my French, but there's no gentle way to put it....

I think Lindsey Graham's  having this long of a political career is more a case of "It's not who you know but who you blow."    He seems like those politicians who were created from a waffle maker(if you get my drift).

Sepiatone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I think Lindsey Graham's  having this long of a political career is more a case of "It's not who you know but who you blow."    He seems like those politicians who were created from a waffle maker(if you get my drift).

That's what some say about Kamala. I hope Pence testifies. I've heard that Kemp's scared because of what happened to Liz Chaney. I think it's important to have at least 2 credible parties.

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Pardon my French, but there's no gentle way to put it....

Sepiatone

In Graham's case, he is very intelligent and very astute in S.C. politics - which is what counts for him.  He also knows how to work Republican national politics as well as reaching across the aisle when it helps him or his constituents.

And sorry, I don't get your drift.  Unless you mean he "waffles" to both sides of issues.  That's true in some cases, but he is still a conservative and pretty much toes the conservative line.  Most politicians "waffle" on some issues.

I'm not defending the guy, just explaining how he has become so successful.   Oh, and he does like to run his mouth on TV shows.

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I can understand why he doesn't want to testify.

He is too busy arguing for full transparency in the Trump Mar-a-Lago search and blaming it on Democrats.

I think it is more of a case that it is very unlikely they can do anything to harm him legally if he testifies or not.   Except for failing to respond to the subpoena if they want to go that far.  But doing it will anger the Trump base which is very strong in S.C. as well as Republicans nationally and in the Senate.

42 minutes ago, ElCid said:

But doing it will anger the Trump base which is very strong in S.C. as well as Republicans nationally and in the Senate.

We really need to stop giving a **** about whether taking the correct course of action will upset the Trump base, who are always upset anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

We really need to stop giving a **** about whether taking the correct course of action will upset the Trump base, who are always upset anyway. 

Well, "we" don't give a Shoot, but too many people who lean Republican do.  Unfortunately for America and Americans.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ElCid said:

And sorry, I don't get your drift.  Unless you mean he "waffles" to both sides of issues.  That's true in some cases, but he is still a conservative and pretty much toes the conservative line.  Most politicians "waffle" on some issues.

Yeah, that's basically what I was  alluding to.

Sepiatone

Graham gets a reprieve from testifying.  

The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said Sunday it wanted both sides to argue what areas of questioning would be appropriate for a sitting U.S. senator. Graham has said his position protects him from having to testify.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/21/1118677782/graham-gets-a-temporary-reprieve-from-an-order-to-testify-before-a-grand-jury

• Sad 1

• ElCid changed the title to Lindsey Graham order to testify Aug. 23 placed on hold

Question I have is has any US senator or house member of a Judiciary Committee ever made a phone call or other contact with a governor or state secretary of state or other election official in a manner similar to what Graham did?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sen Lindsey Graham is using the speech or debate clause from the Constitution to justify his not testifying in GA.  To me though it is a big stretch.

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-georgia-presidential-atlanta-donald-trump-aebfa86c7c9912c3a720f52ae60a1c87

Graham is objecting to testifying on any topics in the subpoena. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/24/politics/lindsey-graham-georgia-election-investigation/index.html

• Like 1

• ElCid changed the title to Lindsey Graham fight against testifying before GA grand jury.

"........Nov. 13, 2020, Senator Lindsey Graham, the South Carolina Republican and one of Mr. Trump’s most ardent supporters, made a phone call that left Brad Raffensperger, Georgia’s Republican secretary of state, immediately alarmed. Mr. Graham, he said, had asked if there was a legal way, using the state courts, to toss out all mail-in votes from counties with high rates of questionable signatures.

The call would eventually trigger an ethics complaint, demands from the left for Mr. Graham’s resignation and a legal drama that is culminating only now, nearly two years later, as the veteran lawmaker fights to avoid testifying before an Atlanta special grand jury that is investigating election interference by Mr. Trump and his supporters...........

For Mr. Graham, the case represents the latest chapter in his head-spinning relationship with Mr. Trump. First he was a critic, then a fierce advocate, particularly after the election. But on Jan. 6, 2021, as blood and broken glass were still being cleaned from the U.S. Capitol after the riot by a pro-Trump mob, he declared on the Senate floor, “Count me out” and “Enough is enough.”

Two days later, he was jeered as a traitor by Trump supporters at Ronald Reagan National Airport in Washington. Within weeks, he was back on Mr. Trump’s golf course at Mar-a-Lago."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/24/us/lindsey-graham-trump-georgia.html

-_-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I assume that Graham will take this all the way to the US Supreme Court, where he will likely receive a favorable decision.  Of course knowing how the court operates, the whole issue will probably be over before they render a decision.

19 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

seriously making out likr lindsey graham should have no problem with testifying. maybe people should not have a problem being pestered by telemarketing phone calls either.

:)

Sorry, but I do not understand what your are attempting to say.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

I assume that Graham will take this all the way to the US Supreme Court, where he will likely receive a favorable decision.  Of course knowing how the court operates, the whole issue will probably be over before they render a decision.

Proving, what?  That some people are indeed above the law?

57 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

seriously making out likr lindsey graham should have no problem with testifying. maybe people should not have a problem being pestered by telemarketing phone calls either.

:)

Yres, trying to get another State to toss out tens of thousands of votes is on that scale.   Perhaps you might living in Moscow better.

I wonder if any democrats did this? Maybe it's happened before but nobody complained. The problem is what do the polls say about if the voters feel the election is secure. I think that's what's important for people to have faith in the system. Whatever it takes.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Marysara1 said:

I wonder if any democrats did this? Maybe it's happened before but nobody complained. The problem is what do the polls say about if the voters feel the election is secure. I think that's what's important for people to have faith in the system. Whatever it takes.

If any democrats did what? Threatened riots if Trump was indicted? What are you talking about?

• Like 1