Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RASHOMON (1950)

Agreed,  Allhallows,  it's a great film.  It's fascinating, the way the same story is told from all those different points-of-view.  Same story but so different every time !  The best movie I can think of that examines that whole "everyone has their own version of the truth"  theme.

Plus, it's so atmospheric !  And all that rain !  An unforgettable film, thanks for posting about it here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Same story but so different every time ! 

I've long felt the woodcutter's was closest to the "truth" but then there is the dagger... not too many films compel the viewer to question truth.  The ending is the most touching of all.   Truth must be found within oneself, all we can rely on. 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2022 at 9:34 PM, David Proulx said:

I watched Yojimbo and liked it. It was basically the Japanese version of A Fistful Of Dollars.

That is because A Fistful of Dollars (1964) is a remake of Yojimbo (1961).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SansFin said:

That is because A Fistful of Dollars (1064) is a remake of Yojimbo (1961).

That makes more sense. I misread the year of Yojimbo, thinking it was in 1970. I didn't catch the beginning, and hadn't read the synopsis until after the movie was over. Right from the beginning, though, I thought he had an Eastwood quatlity to his acting style, and as the movie progressed, I thought "This is A Fistful Of Dollars in a Japanese setting. Turns out it was the other way around.

• Like 1

rashomon is on my top10 top20 because of the cinematographer, kazuo miyagawa, who happens to be my favorite b/w artist

he also did ugestu and sansho the bailiff also in my top20,  and odd obsession. he worked with kurosawa, ozu, mizoguchi (a LOT), and ichikawa.

i marvel continuously at the filming of rashomon and it's scenes in the dense forest's light patterns, and the woodsman walking through the forest in the beginning is brilliant

the narrative that has always struck me about rashomon is that all the players, even those OTHER THAN the three main chartacters, have a degree of self-importance or self-preservation as they tell their tale

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, miltk said:

rashomon is on my top10

It is one of the best films I've seen.  Cinematography is what initially caught my interest, and still fascinates (how did they get that shot...?)  Ultimately, it always comes back to the script and actor's performances.  RASHOMON is the rare perfect movie. 

51 minutes ago, miltk said:

the narrative that has always struck me about rashomon is that all the players, even those OTHER THAN the three main chartacters, have a degree of self-importance or self-preservation as they tell their tale

...and color any version of that tale... Truth must be owned and valued above everything.  Love is truth. 

It is awesome that TCM had a day dedicated to films with Toshiro Mifune.  I recorded Rashomon and several others.  I'll have an opportunity to view these great films uncut.  I appreciate the recommendations on this thread.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Toto said:

It is awesome that TCM had a day dedicated to films with Toshiro Mifune.  I recorded Rashomon and several others.  I'll have an opportunity to view these great films uncut.  I appreciate the recommendations on this thread.

Lucky you!  Start with RASHOMON.  You may even be put off.  But I expect you will find it... and watch it blossom for you.  RASHOMON might be the reason the world started paying attention to Japanese cinema.  If you also taped SEVEN SAMURAI that is also awesome. 

8 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Lucky you!  Start with RASHOMON.  You may even be put off.  But I expect you will find it... and watch it blossom for you.  RASHOMON might be the reason the world started paying attention to Japanese cinema.  If you also taped SEVEN SAMURAI that is also awesome. 

Thanks!  Great advice and I will start with Rashomon then follow with Seven Samurai.